What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT - Calls to axe Prince

gallagher

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
All the literate Knights fans.

I'm loving the notion that Tommy Raudonikis has no right to comment on his club's situation. Every ex Souths player from their glory years comes out in force if a player farts toward an opposition CEO. No one whinges then.

Tommy was a better halfback for that club than Scott Prince will ever be in 100 lifetimes.

Add to the fact that all Raundonikis said was that if Prince signs with the Titans and it affects his form then he should be stripped of the captaincy or dropped. How people here can dissagree with that I'll never work out.

Dakink

Bench
Messiah said:
Given permission to talk to other clubs

He talks to other clubs

Old timers of the club demand he be punished for talking to other clubs

= Morons

BINGO!!!!

salivor

First Grade
Don't put any money on the Tigers to defend their title if the Management and Coaching staff share the views of their fans and former players.

Brisbane had to learn the hard way. When Hodges signed with the Roosters, Bennett humiliated him at a training session and dropped him there after. It was rumoured at the time that some players didn't like the way it was handled and the Broncos season went to the sh*tter pretty much immediately after that.

Hodges was only a fringe first grader at that time. Stripping the captaincy off a guy of Prince's stature or even dropping him from first grade because he chooses to go elsewhere is only going to create disharmony in the Tigers camp.

I don't blame players for looking after their best interests first, they're only human like any of us. It's also been shown that loyalty is a one way street, expected of the players but as the likes of O'Neill found out, not shown by the clubs in return.

innsaneink

Referee
salivor said:
Don't put any money on the Tigers to defend their title if the Management and Coaching staff share the views of their fans and former players.

Brisbane had to learn the hard way. When Hodges signed with the Roosters, Bennett humiliated him at a training session and dropped him there after. It was rumoured at the time that some players didn't like the way it was handled and the Broncos season went to the sh*tter pretty much immediately after that.

Hodges was only a fringe first grader at that time. Stripping the captaincy off a guy of Prince's stature or even dropping him from first grade because he chooses to go elsewhere is only going to create disharmony in the Tigers camp.

I don't blame players for looking after their best interests first, they're only human like any of us. It's also been shown that loyalty is a one way street, expected of the players but as the likes of O'Neill found out, not shown by the clubs in return.

The coaching staff and senior players DON'T share the views expressed by Raudonikis Elias etc re: the captaincy at least.
He was captain yesterday......Sheens only works on the next game, a journo asking him something about the next year/season...will get the appropriate reply.

Sheens livid with critics as Tigers cop a hammering

By Will Swanton, Brookvale Oval
February 26, 2006

Sea Eagles 42 Tigers 14

BRETT Hodgson last night called for Scott Prince to retain the Wests Tigers captaincy regardless of whether he signs for another NRL club as coach Tim Sheens vented his spleen about former players Tom Raudonikis and Les Boyd calling for Prince to lose the leadership.

The Tigers were smashed. Benji Marshall, where the hell are you?

Sheens and Hodgson denied Marshall could save the Tigers singlehandedly but the focus was on Prince following his meeting with Gold Coast officials during the week. The meeting was held with the Tigers' blessing and Sheens was livid that it attracted scathing criticism from Raudonikis and Boyd.

"That's just bullsh*t journalism," Sheens said. "You dig out players from years ago and talk about clubs. For me to have to stand here and defend it is bloody ridiculous. Anyone can do that. If Scott wants to stay, he'll stay. If he wants to go, he'll go.

"Scott played as well as the ball he got.

"He did some good things and struggled with defence after a period of time because of the amount of ball we turned over, as simple as that.

"His forwards didn't dominate the game." He later told television reporters: "I do recall Les playing for Manly and Tommy leaving as well."

Sheens refused to say whether Prince - who declined to comment and appeared in a dark mood - would be captain even if he was leaving next season because it was "a hypothetical question", but Hodgson firmly believed the leadership should stay in the halfback's hands.

"Yep, he should be [captain], for sure," Hodgson said.

On Marshall's return for the round-one clash against the Dragons, Hodgson added: "Benji wouldn't have won us that game today. We defended poorly and we dropped too many balls.

"One player won't make a massive difference if we can't control the ruck and hold the ball. We've got a long couple of weeks coming up. You want to build momentum in the trials and we haven't done that."

The Tigers scored in the third minute to lead 6-0. An arm wrestle ensued until Manly halfback Matt Orford sent Anthony Watmough over to square the ledger at 6-6.

The Tigers' Keith Galloway stepped onto Brookvale Oval for the first time since John Hopoate knocked him senseless last year but the former Cronulla forward was powerless to stop Manly's Kylie Leuluai from crashing over off a Michael Monaghan ball. The Eagles led 12-6 at half-time.

An all-in brawl followed Watmough's try. He collided with Prince while putting the ball down, wasn't happy about it and started throwing punches. Players came in from everywhere before Watmough was sent away to the sin bin to cool his heels for 10 minutes.

Quick tries after the break to Steve Matai and Jason King put the Sea Eagles ahead 20-6 but Prince snuck over to peg the deficit to 12 points with 30 minutes to go. An 85 metre movement from the Eagles fell apart at the 84th metre. The Tigers did not look like the premiers. Marshall cannot return soon enough. Manly skipped away a little too comfortably in a eight-try romp.

"We didn't win any trials last year, either, but I'm not going to brush it aside and say what they did was acceptable, not at all," Sheens said.

salivor

First Grade
Good to see the coach and senior players have some common sense at least. It always does amuse me when past players have a crack at the current crop for thinking with their pockets rather than their hearts. You can guarantee if the type of sums that are dangled in front of modern day players were about when they were playing the game they'd be watering at the mouth just the same.

Misty Bee

First Grade
El Diablo said:
Where was Tommy's loyalty when playing for Newtown?

Newtown. Not the bloody side he was going to play for after that!

As was said by gallagher:

Add to the fact that all Raundonikis said was that if Prince signs with the Titans and it affects his form then he should be stripped of the captaincy or dropped.

Which player in the NRL is immune from being dropped if their form drops as well? Plenty of players have lost the captaincy of their club because of loss of form. And will Mick Monghan skipper Manly this year?

And which Tigers fans protested loudly when Mark O'Neill lost the captaincy despite NOT losing form, nor being anything but a wonderful clubman?

innsaneink

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Fair enough. So why must Prince keep his if his form lapses and he's gone at season's end?

Sheens worries about today and the next game, he was the captain yesterday, I daresay he'll be the captain in round one.

I guess it depends on the severity of the form lapse, where we are placed in regards to the 8....Sheens isnt one for changes just for the hellavit, he persisted with Fitzhenry for weeks and weeks and weeks when he sucked, and his persistence paid off too, Fitzycome good in the backend...anyway its all hypothetical.

Marshall is an over-rated p.o.s. who's stupid looking goose step will fool no-one in 6 months time.

when are u gonna learn than Marshall has more than a step all u have too do is look at the pass he did for Richards in the gf too see hes passing game is just as good

Canard

Immortal
Now Tiges fans know how Cowboys fans feel about Prince.

The club groomed him since he was a kid, investing heaps of cash in the kid, and the moment some rich club (Broncos) came waving the chequebook about he bolted.

Family my arse, if that was the case he would have stayed with the Cowboys.

$$$ more like it.

He basically ruined the Cowboys chancing of being competitive for about 4 or 5 years, because of him bolting and just about ruining his career at the Broncos.

nqboy

First Grade
The parlous state the Cowboys were in at the time contributed to his decision. We'd been sh*t since we'd started, the club was in turmoil, the front office was hopeless and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. If I was him, I would have found it hard not to leave.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
As has been mentioned, his family are no where near the Gold Coast so I can only see a move back to Nth Qld for that reason. If he goes, fine, not the end of the world. If he does go I'd like him to stay on as captain until Sheens figures out who is going to replace him in 2007 and gradually give him more responsibilty throughout '06 but Prince would have the (c) next to his name.

simon says said:
I wonder how Knights fans would have felt if Johns was shopping around after winning the comp in 97......????

Believe me,this does hurt.

Didnt you read the papers @ all last year?

f**k me.

Latest posts