What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT - Denis Fitzgerald: Eels are not certain to survive for more than another 5 years

bartman

Immortal
I think that depends greatly on a few factors.

But in 2013 where would I like to see the club.

Hopefully we would have celebrated a First Grade Premiership.

We would be continuing to expand our current Property rental portfolio to hopefully capitalize on the Increase in Migrants to the Parramatta Area.

The Leagues club will have reduced the number of gaming machines that it owns and operates to find a happy balance with the NSW taxation laws.

We would have a new CEO, and the Current Board would be starting to bring on new people, to ensure the club continues to thrive.

The Proprietor of the Tingha Palace will be on the Board (as he is at the workers club), and the Tingha Palace will have expanded to take on most of the 1st floor.
I would like to see them start to do that earlier than 5 years to be honest - in other ways than directly parachuting people onto the Board itself. Developing people (and structures) that can work with and draw on the talent around so that the club (and its football operations) may continue to be viable and thrive.

Other than that, I agree wholeheartedly. The Tingha palace will be a dead cert to expand I reckon.

Nickeel

Juniors
Speaking as the Longest Serving CEO of an NRL club, Denis is constantly going against the State Goverment (and has been since the Tax Came out) on behalf of clubs and with the Eels being a the 4th largest club in the state, and if terms of ratings and interest levels one of the more followed teams in the league is saying that the beloved resource (Parramatta Eels) may not be around in 5 years if the tax continues.

He has been saying that for many years now. Holding the "Party" line.

As Fish said, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I came into work this morning happy it was Friday, looking forward to the game on Sunday... then I flip over to the back page and read that. My heart sank.

I can see what he's trying to do but, gee, for most people it just makes them think, 'well, if there's no future, then why bother investing my time and money? I'll only have my heart broken.'

Put up a fight, Dennis. Think outside the square a bit. Galvanise people's opinion. You've got a potentially massive group of people willing to contribute money and support, and yet there is no public, overt attempt to harness it.

It's just more talk about the pokie tax, the big hit clubs are taking... about how we rely on gaming - I don't want to rely on gaming to keep my beloved club running. Times have changed. Gaming is insidious. Walk through your club, Dennis, and take a look at the zombies plowing hundreds of joyless dollars a night through the pokies. There must be a better way than to encourage this disease, to profit from it.

Nick

fish eel

Immortal

I came into work this morning happy it was Friday, looking forward to the game on Sunday... then I flip over to the back page and read that. My heart sank.

I can see what he's trying to do but, gee, for most people it just makes them think, 'well, if there's no future, then why bother investing my time and money? I'll only have my heart broken.'

Put up a fight, Dennis. Think outside the square a bit. Galvanise people's opinion. You've got a potentially massive group of people willing to contribute money and support, and yet there is no public, overt attempt to harness it.

It's just more talk about the pokie tax, the big hit clubs are taking... about how we rely on gaming - I don't want to rely on gaming to keep my beloved club running. Times have changed. Gaming is insidious. Walk through your club, Dennis, and take a look at the zombies plowing hundreds of joyless dollars a night through the pokies. There must be a better way than to encourage this disease, to profit from it.

Nick

Brilliantly written, Nick.

Nick

That is not what was said, now was it. It was that there is no Guarantee. There is no Guarantee you and I will be hear after lunch.

As to getting others to invest. It is always great to have money, but even better to control your own destiny I think. But in my opinion this is a nothing story that just brings up the endless beating on that we shouldn't be taking advantage of people through poker machines or any sort of Gaming. Hopefully for Denis he is getting the effect he wants.

Nickeel

Juniors
Yes Nick wrote that there "was not future so why bother". Which I was pointing out was not what Denis said.

No, what I wrote was, that to many fans reading these sorts of statements, the implication that comes through is not 'Dennis or calling the Govt's bluff or looking for assistance' ... it's 'Christ, we might not be around much longer - it seems foregone.' Even I feel a bit like that. It's greatly disheartening.

We all know times are tough but, gee, it'd be nice to be hearing something a bit more positive and proactive than 'Parra might not be around in five years.' Dennis didn't say 'there's no future' but the net effect is the same.

Nick

Nick

forward pass

Coach
O'Connell street, where it is now.

Suity

It has always surprised me that they haven't tried to build bigger premises elsewhere - like the Panthers did. And include a hotel, conference centre etc etc. Increased revenue from different streams. And surely a hotel at Parra will do better than a hotel at Penrith.

A hell of a lot of conferences and seminars and training programs take place in Parra every day - why don't we try to get a bit of the action.

I would have thought a larger club, larger car park etc would be the best way of expanding the club financially.

Mind you if Denis had his way, he would bulldoze the stadium and expand that way. Sometimes I think this footy stuff gets in Denis's way !!

No, what I wrote was, that to many fans reading these sorts of statements, the implication that comes through is not 'Dennis or calling the Govt's bluff or looking for assistance' ... it's 'Christ, we might not be around much longer - it seems foregone.' Even I feel a bit like that. It's greatly disheartening.

We all know times are tough but, gee, it'd be nice to be hearing something a bit more positive and proactive than 'Parra might not be around in five years.' Dennis didn't say 'there's no future' but the net effect is the same.

Nick

Nick

I completely disagree

It has always surprised me that they haven't tried to build bigger premises elsewhere - like the Panthers did. And include a hotel, conference centre etc etc. Increased revenue from different streams. And surely a hotel at Parra will do better than a hotel at Penrith.

A hell of a lot of conferences and seminars and training programs take place in Parra every day - why don't we try to get a bit of the action.

I would have thought a larger club, larger car park etc would be the best way of expanding the club financially.

Mind you if Denis had his way, he would bulldoze the stadium and expand that way. Sometimes I think this footy stuff gets in Denis's way !!

Interesting thought on the Bulldozing part.

You know the Parramatta leagues club Stands across only a few property lines as such. Most are owned by the club except for 1 large one, which the club has a 100 year lease on, Started again in 1999 for the back half of the club and the parking lot. This is what they wanted to build the car park on, a multi tier car park for Fan going to the game and of course the leagues club. But Friends of the Park were against it, can because the land is commonwealth land leased to Parramatta, when the government didn't allow it, the club couldn't proceed.

Either way, Parramatta Stadium Stands in the Boundaries of Parramatta Park. The Land it is built on is Commonwealth Land.

Nickeel

Juniors
I completely disagree

I'd just, you know, like to be able to take my kids to an Eels game one day.

The kind of talk I'm hearing almost makes me think, 'that's never going to happen'.

Of course he can't guarantee anything. I don't expect him to. But I'd like to hear a bit more tough/positive talk than 'we might not be around.' And I don't think I'm asking too much. It might just transpire, Mits, that Dennis is not the right man to save this club.

Nick

I'd just, you know, like to be able to take my kids to an Eels game one day.

The kind of talk I'm hearing almost makes me think, 'that's never going to happen'.

Of course he can't guarantee anything. I don't expect him to. But I'd like to hear a bit more tough/positive talk than 'we might not be around.' And I don't think I'm asking too much. It might just transpire, Mits, that Dennis is not the right man to save this club.

Nick

Indeed it might ;-)

Jodeci

Bench
Why cant Dennis talk like Steve Noyce

Everytime I have heard or seen him on tele, he has been very professional.

Not blaming any issues such as Global Warming like Dennis would say.

He talks about how the Tigers have run a sponorship campaign second to none, about getting more members to join, etc.

He was the main man with Benny Elais on building those units and shops at Balmain which will profit the club for many years.

All we hear is pokie this and pokie that.

C'mon Dennis, wake up son.

Have we really pushed our membership campaign? I only joined the Football club because I heard about it here, otherwise I wouldn't of known anything about it.

C'mon MITS, if u were in Dennis role, what would u be doing?

Why cant Dennis talk like Steve Noyce

Everytime I have heard or seen him on tele, he has been very professional.

Not blaming any issues such as Global Warming like Dennis would say.

He talks about how the Tigers have run a sponorship campaign second to none, about getting more members to join, etc.

He was the main man with Benny Elais on building those units and shops at Balmain which will profit the club for many years.

All we hear is pokie this and pokie that.

C'mon Dennis, wake up son.

Have we really pushed our membership campaign? I only joined the Football club because I heard about it here, otherwise I wouldn't of known anything about it.

C'mon MITS, if u were in Dennis role, what would u be doing?

Sorry mate I can't say. But the Noyce thing is interesting, and comparable but I can't say.

As to our Membership campaign, the football club membership doesn't really pay for a lot, season tickets on the other hand does, and last I was told they were up from last year.

miniHINDY

Juniors

Nick

Amazing post. People are surely not saying the only way a code can exist is through the misery of group of addicts.

Amazing post. People are surely not saying the only way a code can exist is through the misery of group of addicts.

You see this is the bullsh*t that upsets me more than anything,

The Misery of a group of addicts.

So instantly, everyone who plays a poker machine is an addict?

Anyone that Gambles does so beyond their means and as such ends up destitute?

What a crock of bullsh*t, sure their are some who are excessive gamblers that can not move from a pokie and who spend beyond their means, there should be some device some measure to help these people identify that they have a problem and how to fix it. But not every person that enters the leagues club to play the machines is a destitute addict.

Latest posts