What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT: Newcastle rift widens

Jobdog

Live Update Team
JJ, I agree with you. Smith came here to piss off all the mediocre players and build a team who has a genuine shot at winning a premiership. Sure, the players at the moment are far from impressed which I can see why considering most of them have played together, but if they're sitting comfortably in the top four halfway through next season, you won't hear a peep out of either Buderus, Simpson or whoever else wants to say something.

Personally, I think this is yet another Smellygraph beat-up with an agenda against Brian Smith.

Ice777

Bench
Well whatever way you want to look at it, i'm glad it's not my club that's for sure.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22206908-23214,00.html

Smith's tearing us apart

By Barry Toohey
August 08, 2007
SOME would say it was inevitable. A train wreck just waiting to happen.
All the ingredients were there. A controversial, hard-nosed coach with a licence to shake up a club that had been built from the ground up on a foundation of community spirit and local loyalty.That there is player dissension at the Newcastle Knights is probably no major surprise given coach Brian Smith's history and how savage the cuts have been to the playing ranks.

That the problems have come less than a season into Smith's three-year deal at the club is, however.The question now is, how does the club move forward. One prominent club official put it this way last week: "It's not a happy dressing room at the moment."He was being kind.

If the truth be known, the players - particularly the senior members of the squad - have just about had enough of their controversial coach.Captain Danny Buderus is as mild-mannered as any player in the game.But he felt strongly enough about the situation yesterday to admit publicly for the first time the dressing room was not a comfortable place right now.He didn't say it in as many words but there is little doubting his meaning: coach Smith is on the nose with Knights players right now.

One player yesterday who did not want to be identified said: "He has just torn the place apart. The club is just sitting back and allowing him to do what he wants." Smith is aware of the unrest. He, like most coaches, says he doesn't coach football clubs just to be popular.

Sending as many as 10 players packing, many who have been in the Knights system for a number of years, was never going to be a popular move with the players kicked out or their teammates left behind. He has been ruthless and clearly believes he needs to be if he is to get the results he needs in the club's immediate post-Andrew Johns era. But it is not just the axing of players that has upset the team. Smith's coaching methods have also come under question.

His propensity to keep the players in the dark over the make-up of the team. His unpopular "resting" policy and criticism over his lack of interaction with the club's junior teams have been tossed up by players. "You are just never quite sure what's happening with him," another player said. "It can be a bit weird.

"When we were getting dusted by the Warriors a few weeks back and were looking for some direction at half-time, he said just six words to us: 'Don't take dummies' which he repeated. That's all he said. "Then the other day at training, he is sitting in his car watching us, trying to hide from everyone. The boys all thought it was funny."

A full-scale player move on Smith's position won't happen.When Knights players had a major falling out with then coach Warren Ryan back in 2000, senior members such as Tony Butterfield and Matthew Johns fronted management demanding that something be done about him. It is different this time around. But Smith has plenty of bridges to re-build and it won't be easy.

eels_fan_01

Bench
JJ said:
:lol: it's almost worth paying Reynoldson 200K to leave

What's up with this sh*t - he's offloaded a fat overrated prick (Perry), some decent triers (Newton and Woolnough), and wants rid of a nuffy (Reynoldson)... Buderus can f**k off too if he's going to whinge to that extent - seriously, if anyone thinks this is the wrong thing to do moving forward has rocks in their heads...

Maybe i do agree with that but i mean if you dont want Buderous there are 15 other clubs who want him, hes the heart and soul of your team.

JJ

Immortal
Obviously Buderus should stay - change is always problematic for some - but again, there's a clear rationale behind letting those guys go - the article above is pretty funny - seriously, the club has allowed the likes of Bird and Tupou to leave, and what exactly have they kept from the talented youngsters that age?

Wests is Best

Juniors
I believe Smith will rebuild the Knights nicely. There is a lot of dead wood in that club, and they are getting themselves in a position to buy exactly what they want for a gebuine tilt at the title in the next couple of years.
Sometimes hard decisions have to be made.

big pat

Coach
Wests is Best said:
I believe Smith will rebuild the Knights nicely. There is a lot of dead wood in that club, and they are getting themselves in a position to buy exactly what they want for a gebuine tilt at the title in the next couple of years.
Sometimes hard decisions have to be made.
i hardly think the five saints players going their will instill confidence, even john west would reject them.

Snoop

Coach
So what is Newcastle's lineup looking like next season. Anyone hazard a guess?

Iafeta

Referee
A massive culture change was needed fo shore. It just got fast tracked by Joey's retirement. I mean, Mick Hagan's old tactic of picking #7 Johns, and the other 16 being always the blokes who played the week before who he made look good was a bit of a farce. Even their game plan, get it to Joey, Walsh and Mullen are good kids but they ain't him. They needed some drastic changes.

Looking at their 2007 roster, there's some blokes there I wouldn't feed let alone want on my team...

Riley Brown
Steve Gordon
Nathan Hinton
Josh Perry (and let me tell you, dropping a few Big Macs would do him the world of good, Dessy Hasler is going to train his a-hole into the dunes of Manly beach)
Todd Polglase (yep, he's a trier but he's a big hit magnet)
Kirk Reynoldsen (Love the beard, not much else going for him)
David Seage (can't stay on the field)
Kade Snowden (bloke lumbers slower than a 300 pound street hooker)
Reegan Tanner (is there a bigger nuffy in the game?)
Daniel Tolar (has the size, but you'd expect more from him now)
Matthew White (player, please)

Some of those blokes aren't up to it. They may have been good for the Cessnock Goannas or the Port Services Mudcrab pub side, but this is the NRL. Out of the mob there now, you'd keep Gidley, Buderus (although if he keeps his whinge fest up it's fair to say he's not as good as he once was), Bailey (if he could stop breaking like a piece of the local church's finest he'd be a terrific young lock or five eighth), Mullen, Walsh, Paterson (deadset superstar), Simpson, Royal (bloke busts his chops week in week out), Vuna (he defends like a used beat up Toyota Camry but runs like a cheshire cat on coals), Taia (cha ching superstar), McManus (seems to have a good attitude and good committment), Seuseu (kid wants to play it's fairly obvious he has something to him), they'll be fine. They have the core, Smith is right, they need to change the chocolate almonds hanging off the core to make it into a slick bag of M&Ms.

Iafeta

Referee
big pat said:
i hardly think the five saints players going their will instill confidence, even john west would reject them.

You know, I think some of them are talented (Wicks, Heuston), but I really think Brian Smith realises there is a big need for a culture change up there, and the best way to do it is to bring in new blood, make them loyal to your cause, and get them to spread the culture of enthusiasm you need. I think sometimes you can get comfortable in the old home town environment, he knows the one's he picked up have a while to go in the game but furthermore aren't locals so have to perform to keep the Newcastle faithful happy. I think he's deliberately looked at specific player types and recruited according to that rather than their name factor.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Snoop said:
So what is Newcastle's lineup looking like next season. Anyone hazard a guess?

Starting 13 might be something like:

1. Kurt Gidley
2. James McManus/Akuila Uate
3. Wes Naiqama
4. Adam MacDougall/Luke MacDougall
5. Cooper Vuna
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Luke Walsh
8. Mitchell Sargent
9. Danny Buderus
10. Ben Cross
11. Steve Simpson
12. Cory Paterson
13. Matt Hilder/Chris Houston/Zeb Taia

A few ifs, buts and maybe's in there. I'm sure I've missed some players though.

macavity

Referee
Riley Brown
Steve Gordon
Nathan Hinton
Josh Perry (and let me tell you, dropping a few Big Macs would do him the world of good, Dessy Hasler is going to train his a-hole into the dunes of Manly beach)
Todd Polglase (yep, he's a trier but he's a big hit magnet)
Kirk Reynoldsen (Love the beard, not much else going for him)
David Seage (can't stay on the field)
Kade Snowden (bloke lumbers slower than a 300 pound street hooker)
Reegan Tanner (is there a bigger nuffy in the game?)
Daniel Tolar (has the size, but you'd expect more from him now)
Matthew White (player, please)

I think Snowden could become a great prop in about 5 years time. Tolar is small for a prop, White is a trier.

Gordon is all of 19 years of age and carves up in PL. He was promoted way too early.

Hinton and Seage could both start at FB for a number of clubs.

Riley Brown is a enigma - I have watched him score 4 tries playing HB in PL - and bomb in FG. He always kills it in PL - is perhaps the best PL lock running around - yet seems overwhelmed in FG. I still think he will make it, but probably not with us.

rest I can't really argue with...

Snoop

Coach
macavity said:
Hinton and Seage could both start at FB for a number of clubs.

Seriously? If there is one position that the NRL has plenty of it's FBs.

Canard

Immortal
Captain Danny Buderus is as mild-mannered as any player in the game

Fair dinkum both the articles in this post are stretching the truth to suit their arguments.

I think Boods is a fantastic player (and cops a bit to much crap on these forums) one of the best hookers of his generation, and a great footy brain, but mild mannered??????????????????????????

I wonder if touchies and refs consider him to be mild mannered?

I would consider someone like a Greg Inglis or Matty Bowen to be mild mannered, not a Boods.

Johns Magic

Referee
Canard said:
Fair dinkum both the articles in this post are stretching the truth to suit their arguments.

I think Boods is a fantastic player (and cops a bit to much crap on these forums) one of the best hookers of his generation, and a great footy brain, but mild mannered??????????????????????????

I wonder if touchies and refs consider him to be mild mannered?

I would consider someone like a Greg Inglis or Matty Bowen to be mild mannered, not a Boods.

He always has been off-field

badav

Bench
"unnamed" players going behind the clubs back and feeding dirt to the media really doesnt say much for attitude of some players at the club.

scottyeel

Bench
Ice777 said:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22206908-23214,00.html

"When we were getting dusted by the Warriors a few weeks back and were looking for some direction at half-time, he said just six words to us: 'Don't take dummies' which he repeated. That's all he said. "Then the other day at training, he is sitting in his car watching us, trying to hide from everyone. The boys all thought it was funny."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

When Smith started releasing players I had no issue with this but now there is a steady stream and I am beginning to think that he is going to extremes to produce success off his own back which will take a few years to achieve...

aqua_duck

Coach
out of the players smith has shafted the only ones i would have kept were woolnough and snowden, the rest are nuffies of the highest order

snowden-would have kept him for potential more than anything else
woolnough-good solid bookend with a good offload but soft as marshmellows and penrith offered him a good deal
perry-no comment
tighe-doesn't know how to pass to a winger
newton-overpaid, underperforming