What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dufty 5/8 2021 ?

Old Timer

Coach
I agree with all points however as good as keary is he is a head knock from retirement. This is because he is undersized and playing in the front line.

Food for thought
I agree that is the case for Keary but until if / when that happens he will keep wearing the no 6 and do so effectively.

Much depends on the players desire to be out there.

If Dufty baulks or blinks for a second wearing the 6 jumper then he is no 5/8.

True_Believer

Juniors
I agree that is the case for Keary but until if / when that happens he will keep wearing the no 6 and do so effectively.

Much depends on the players desire to be out there.

If Dufty baulks or blinks for a second wearing the 6 jumper then he is no 5/8.

Which he pretty much does every time he runs the ball back. He's not one for heavy impact.

Old Timer

Coach
Which he pretty much does every time he runs the ball back. He's not one for heavy impact.
I agree but would be interested to know what his instructions (if any) are / were.

So much was negative under Mc Fookknuckle that it is hard to know what was player behaviour or team instructions so I will watch with interest over the next few weeks to see if anything changes.

If he continues to capitulate and shows little intent to bust the line then the question is already answered.

True_Believer

Juniors
I agree but would be interested to know what his instructions (if any) are / were.

So much was negative under Mc Fookknuckle that it is hard to know what was player behaviour or team instructions so I will watch with interest over the next few weeks to see if anything changes.

If he continues to capitulate and shows little intent to bust the line then the question is already answered.

Agree. Another thing that indicates his reluctance to take on the line is that he runs across the field with ball in hand looking for a break. He's not digging in at any stage in an attempt to break tackles. He's looking for that defensive lapse. That's great for attack, but I don't think that's what we want in a half. You risk him cramping his outside backs. Also, on the weekend, the choice to go for the intercept was lazy. He's done this a bit and it seems to me he's trying to avoid the collision.

Also the passing he has is coming along great, but it's a pass created as part of a set play. I feel like he's not reading the play, just passing because it's part of the play. He's got it wrong a couple of times, which says to me it's set play mechanics. He's had a couple of kicks - got a bit to improve there.

I really think what we've seen is good fullback attacking play. He slots into the back line and creates that indecision with his speed and then has a good pass to get his outside men into gaps.

Defensively he's got a bit to work on.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Agree. Another thing that indicates his reluctance to take on the line is that he runs across the field with ball in hand looking for a break. He's not digging in at any stage in an attempt to break tackles. He's looking for that defensive lapse. That's great for attack, but I don't think that's what we want in a half. You risk him cramping his outside backs. Also, on the weekend, the choice to go for the intercept was lazy. He's done this a bit and it seems to me he's trying to avoid the collision.

Also the passing he has is coming along great, but it's a pass created as part of a set play. I feel like he's not reading the play, just passing because it's part of the play. He's got it wrong a couple of times, which says to me it's set play mechanics. He's had a couple of kicks - got a bit to improve there.

I really think what we've seen is good fullback attacking play. He slots into the back line and creates that indecision with his speed and then has a good pass to get his outside men into gaps.

Defensively he's got a bit to work on.
Great insight; enjoyed!

Slackboy72

Coach
I would say yes. He's a 5/8 masquerading as a FB. Problem is the club feels compelled to play Norman there because we paid overs.

possm

Coach
Great insight; enjoyed!
I believe that there is not future for Dufty at fullback and that his only place in the current 17 is at five-eighth. Failure to recognize this or not accept this fact will only end in his contract not being extended.

Having said this, I believe that if our new coach is Bellamy, Bennett, Wane or Griffin, Dufty will be in safe hands to make this transition. If he is successful in making this transition, I am confident he will have a long career in the NRL.

redv13

Bench
I believe that there is not future for Dufty at fullback and that his only place in the current 17 is at five-eighth. Failure to recognize this or not accept this fact will only end in his contract not being extended.

Having said this, I believe that if our new coach is Bellamy, Bennett, Wane or Griffin, Dufty will be in safe hands to make this transition. If he is successful in making this transition, I am confident he will have a long career in the NRL.
You forgot to add Robinson.....

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
A good 5/8 needs a good kicking game. If the opposition doesn't know if you are going to run, pass or kick, that's a hell of a lot of doubt they are faced with.

I don't recall seeing Dufty kick so it's a no from me. Having said that, until this season I didn't see Dufty pass, and hasn't that been a revelation.

possm

Coach
You forgot to add Robinson.....
I believe the rumour that Robinson is off to France with his family and that Fitzgibbon is the next Rooster's head coach.

I'm also of the opinion C Smith will retire at the end of 2020 and will either take up a one-year coach assistant's job under Bellamy and then take over the Storm head coach position or be appointed as head coach of the storm for season 2021.

Bellamy and Bennett will be on the market in 2022 but I doubt if either of these two coaches will be interested in our head coach position unless significant structural changes are made to the Football Department of SGI. Both of these men would want complete control of recruitment/retention/pathways staff, High performance and fitness staff, coaching staff, and the salary cap list. Both would prefer to report directly to the CEO and not want any Board interference in their role as head coach.

If a deal was done to sign either Bellamy or Bennett, I would support the idea of Dean Young being interim coach until the end of season 2021 under the condition that he can take advice from the new head coach for 2022 and beyond. If this is not possible, I would like to see either Wane or Griffin appointed coach for 2021 and in addition, be given the job of being Dean Young's advisor for the remainder of this season.

Mjab

Juniors
I believe the rumour that Robinson is off to France with his family and that Fitzgibbon is the next Rooster's head coach.

I'm also of the opinion C Smith will retire at the end of 2020 and will either take up a one-year coach assistant's job under Bellamy and then take over the Storm head coach position or be appointed as head coach of the storm for season 2021.

Bellamy and Bennett will be on the market in 2022 but I doubt if either of these two coaches will be interested in our head coach position unless significant structural changes are made to the Football Department of SGI. Both of these men would want complete control of recruitment/retention/pathways staff, High performance and fitness staff, coaching staff, and the salary cap list. Both would prefer to report directly to the CEO and not want any Board interference in their role as head coach.

If a deal was done to sign either Bellamy or Bennett, I would support the idea of Dean Young being interim coach until the end of season 2021 under the condition that he can take advice from the new head coach for 2022 and beyond. If this is not possible, I would like to see either Wane or Griffin appointed coach for 2021 and in addition, be given the job of being Dean Young's advisor for the remainder of this season.

happy to sacrifice a year for bellamy but cant see it happening
really looking like Griffin and Young

possm

Coach
happy to sacrifice a year for bellamy but cant see it happening
really looking like Griffin and Young
Young must have done something really special while he was Mary's assistant coach, or .........

Dragsters

First Grade
Not sure about 2021 but if we lose 1 more game and are absolutely out of finals contention, then he is worth a try this year to see if he can cut it.

I would say the same for Sailor at fullback...

TruSaint

Referee
Not sure about 2021 but if we lose 1 more game and are absolutely out of finals contention, then he is worth a try this year to see if he can cut it.

I would say the same for Sailor at fullback...

Lose 1 more game and Im happy for Dean to go ballistic with opportunities.
Club / fans / coach have nothing to lose.

'