What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUFTY V DUGAN

hazzbeen

Bench
Dugan is a solid player you know what you get from him . Solid good defender but IMO not an elite player and its not because he had moved that I am saying this . Dugan is predictable as a runner , in most cases you only have to worry about Duges with ball in hand . Already Dufty has scored more tries than Dugan has in 6 games , compared to the whole of last year . As Duges get a bit older he gets slower , Dufty is still learning and will get better ... Speed to burn at fullback makes Dufty a very dangerous player , so am I sad to have let Duges go , Its a no from me ...

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
2 more amazing individual tries from Dufty !

His speed has given us the ability to score long range tries again.

Unbelievable acceleration, he is an X factor

He is looking more comfortable by the minute.

Well done Mat keep up the great work !!!!!!!!!!
Matt has cetainly come on of late...always had the ability but never the experience till now..,still a lot to learn naturally but its coming fast...,his speed and vision has really added some much needed spark to our backline and as you say we now have the abliity to score long range tries and with the improvement in Nene and Aitken the opposition now see us as an attacking tbreat with lots of options across the park

giboz71

First Grade
Really? The only stat?

Some other fullback winning percentages:
Slater - 70%
Trbojevic - 45%
Tedesco - 36%
Tuivasa-Sheck - 60%
Ponga - 43%
Lockyer - 66%

So by your stat that matters, Dufty is equaled only by Slater, and by far better than all those others?

Interestingly, Thurston has a 56% win rate.

Point is, it’s far from the only stat that matters...

I don’t really get caught up on who should play where. Ah Mau could play FB if it helped us win a comp.

I just know that we’re a better chance of winning when Dufty is our FB than Duges.

And you don’t really need just stats to back up that argument, anyone that knows anything about footy should be able to see it with their own eyes.

BennyV

Referee
I don’t really get caught up on who should play where. Ah Mau could play FB if it helped us win a comp.

I just know that we’re a better chance of winning when Dufty is our FB than Duges.

And you don’t really need just stats to back up that argument, anyone that knows anything about footy should be able to see it with their own eyes.
That’s fine, I’m actually quite happy we’ve got Dufty over Duges (IMO we should have persisted with Mann there and kept Duges at centre back in 2016).

Just saying, there are many factors going into a players winning percentage so it’s strange to say that’s the only stat that matters!

ouryears

Bench
I swear most of you c***s have absolutely no idea about footy.
But gitano, he did slow things up, I liked him... but as a weapon in attack he just did not come up to it.

Great defender, safe hands, ran hard, but a strike weapon needs to have the opposition guessing and on the back foot.

If Duges wants to catch and just run hard, head down, then its time for the forward pack.

If it was good enough for Wendell it's good enough for Duges

TruSaint

Referee
Very happy for Dufty. he has come on well.

I wont bag Duges for leaving, ... as to the comparison, time will tell.

They bring different skill sets to the team.

Bagging Dugan, an SOO and Australian rep, because he left for money, is tantamount to bagging Hunt for leaving the Broncos.

Lets move on.

Frank Facer

First Grade
But gitano, he did slow things up, I liked him... but as a weapon in attack he just did not come up to it.

Great defender, safe hands, ran hard, but a strike weapon needs to have the opposition guessing and on the back foot.

If Duges wants to catch and just run hard, head down, then its time for the forward pack.

If it was good enough for Wendell it's good enough for Duges
last year I suggested that Dugan's future may lie as an edge backrower. I was ridiculed by some for suggesting it.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Bagging Dugan, an SOO and Australian rep, because he left for money, is tantamount to bagging Hunt for leaving the Broncos.

Lets move on.
But Dugan wanted us to pay him elite fullback money. He signed with Cronulla for less than we offered him, but he got a 4 year contract and we were only apparently offering him a 2 year contract.

SBD82

Coach
Something is up with Moylan
I can’t believe he is still not at the panthers, that club is his soul.

It would be like dufty playing with the roosters,

I think he won’t be at the sharks long, he misses the comradeship with his mates at panthers big time

And playing with wankers like Fifita. Gal. and Wade Graham I am told irks him no end

I hope he finds his way. He is just a kid
You realise that he is 27 this year? You shouldn't expect your well paid 27 yet old fullback to give you anything other than professionalism.

The guy allegedly had issues at Penrith, now he is allegedly having issues at the Sharks. At what stage do you start to think that maybe he is the issue?

Although to be perfectly honest, he looks injured. He didn't stretch out once last night.

TruSaint

Referee
But Dugan wanted us to pay him elite fullback money. He signed with Cronulla for less than we offered him, but he got a 4 year contract and we were only apparently offering him a 2 year contract.

I refer back to the debate between Mary and Millward. It has been covered in this forum.

Mary stated that Dugan was our FB, and Millward went on record that the club saw his value as a centre. There was a divide within the club.

Irrespective, he was given a longer term contract on or about the same money , which means he secured his future. If the $$$ amounts were similar, then the longevity of the deal would appeal to any football player, Ask Benny Hunt.

Drag Queen

Bench

Lets move on.
Exactly TruSaint. Very few get media jobs after playing NRL. I've got no problem with these guys trying to secure their futures. Between chronic arthritis, head injuries, hip, back and knee injuries/and joint replacements... I could go on but I won't.

Drag Queen

Bench
Wouldn't you take it Frank? I certainly would, but I'm a lightweight weight wise. It's a tough gig for those that don't make it. I always hope these guys have a back-up plan.

Drag Queen

Bench
You realise that he is 27 this year? You shouldn't expect your well paid 27 yet old fullback to give you anything other than professionalism.

The guy allegedly had issues at Penrith, now he is allegedly having issues at the Sharks. At what stage do you start to think that maybe he is the issue?

Although to be perfectly honest, he looks injured. He didn't stretch out once last night.
I'd say we should get off Moylan's back. Something is going on there. Not sure whether it's physical or mental but I'd be throwing more knives at their halves tbh.

blacksafake

First Grade
Dufty is electric. He's going to have bad games in the wet, getting off his line, he'll get dragged into touch.
But when he does, remember what he can do on a dry track in an open game. He created that 1st try from absolutely nothing with pure speed and elusiveness. Love him.
That 1st try is something we’ve been missing for a while now. I however enjoyed his 2nd with the step at speed he put on Moylan. As they say you can’t coach speed.

SBD82

Coach
I'd say we should get off Moylan's back. Something is going on there. Not sure whether it's physical or mental but I'd be throwing more knives at their halves tbh.
I think that he is carrying an injury and can't stretch out to full sprint.

Nonetheless. He was awful.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
One criticism of Dugan was the absence of an adequate passing game. Dufty has the same 'fault' by regularly backing himself instead of looking for assistance.

It will be interesting if his proclivity to 'run first/pass later' starts to cost tries.

Dufty's front on defence isn't particularly 'crash hot' either. Clearly he has some aspects to remedy.

I'd have preferred Dugan to have remained at SGI, playing in the centres in lieu of Lafai.

Latest posts