What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty v Sloan

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I’m on team Duff, pure speed.
Sloan can look slick in patches but Duff running in broken field was magic.
Shame he didn’t like tackling or catching high balls.
I've watched a few Warrington Wolves games, he looks more solid in body shape, still has pure speed and footwork, is much better at catching high balls, his defence has improved slightly but it's the ESL and still not up to NRL standard at this stage for a fullback.

An interesting ploy from S Burgess, where he has Duff take a run on the 5th play and stays put for the kick on the sixth for most attacking sets midfield. The rest of the team chases the kick and he stays back in defence where he was tackled on the 5th.

Last edited:

hook hook

Juniors
I've watched a few Warrington Wolves games, he looks more solid in body shape, still has pure speed and footwork, is much better at catching high balls, his defence has improved slightly but it's the ESL and still not up to NRL standard at this stage for a fullback.

An interesting ploy from S Burgess, where he has Duff take a run on the 5th play and stays put for the kick on the sixth for most attacking sets midfield. The rest of the team chases the kick and he stays back in defence where he was tackled on the 5th.
This is very common in the nrl too. Turbo, Teddy and Edwards almost exclusively take the 5th tackle in their own half

rasaint

Juniors
I am a Duffy man. Yes had issues but I always felt these were overstated by detractors. He was a guy who brought you out to games to watch live. His try against roosters 2019 ( I think) Anzac game by busting two forward tackles, jumping Teddy tackle, swerving toward Cronk then away and then splitting Cronk and Latrell with sheer speed wow was sublime. High end speed and individual trys very few players could score.
Hoping the best for young Sloan. Still question Sloan at $500k, but I’m sure others would disagree.

TheRev

First Grade
Both players have the same issue where they cant pull through a tackle... both need to run into empty space in attack, if they get a hand on them... they fall over.. Dufty however had incredible acceleration which means it was easier to get into said space, but he also didnt seem to want to improve.. Duftys way or the highway.

Havent written Sloan off completely, but no player should be getting 3-4-5years in first grade to learn the game.. it highlights just how little depth we have in reserve grade.

SBD82

Coach
I still have faith in Sloan.

He absolutely needs to work on his one on one defence. But I have faith that he and Flano will make it happen.

This year Sloan has shown significant improvement in some of the deficiencies in his game - positioning, contact, and under the high ball. It shows that he can accept feedback and do the work to improve.

If he can get his tryline defence sorted, make better decisions about when to be in the line and improve his timing on a sweep, he will be pretty close to the full package.

John moz

Juniors
Sloan 2 more years wow who signed off on his contract extension at the club .
Dumb and dumber combo he needs to take up a no contract sport .

56to66

Juniors
Why didn't Flanno shift Lomax to Fullback and Sloan on the wing at the beginning of the year, surely Zac would have been OK with that?

matPORTS

Juniors
The Broncos really went after Sloan today.

Overall, despite the pressure they put him under on the kick chase, which gassed and made him somewhat ineffective, I thought he still handled things quite well. One thing we can't deny is that he always gets back up and has a go.

But, much like we need a big bopper or two in the forward pack to go next level, we need Sloan to go next level as well.

It's going to be a very important off season for coming up. The only way he is going to get confidence to attack through the line and put his body in front of opposition attackers is to bulk up. Equally, a lot of his decision making, footballing nous and general game management is going to come off the back of his confidence in putting his body on the line.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Broncos really went after Sloan today.

Overall, despite the pressure they put him under on the kick chase, which gassed and made him somewhat ineffective, I thought he still handled things quite well. One thing we can't deny is that he always gets back up and has a go.

But, much like we need a big bopper or two in the forward pack to go next level, we need Sloan to go next level as well.

It's going to be a very important off season for coming up. The only way he is going to get confidence to attack through the line and put his body in front of opposition attackers is to bulk up. Equally, a lot of his decision making, footballing nous and general game management is going to come off the back of his confidence in putting his body on the line.
Yes, the extra weight/muscle that Sloan needs would help him in both attack and defence. Looking at Tristan Sailor last night - he looks more bulked up now compared to a few seasons ago and this is helping him in his games. Hopefully Sloan can do the same. He needs to.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Im over the Sloane experiment , he coudlnt tackle to save his own life .
Mathew Fegai played full back in reserves and was killing it .
Mathew has earned his chance, give him a go
Max had his best game last night and shame he fumbled the ball.
he looks so solid and making breaks.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Im over the Sloane experiment , he coudlnt tackle to save his own life .
Mathew Fegai played full back in reserves and was killing it .
Mathew has earned his chance, give him a go
Max had his best game last night and shame he fumbled the ball.
he looks so solid and making breaks.
Max is finally starting to play decently. His defence most of all has really impressed me