What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan contract to Fifita

Old Timer

Coach
There could be a multiple number of reasons and I'll give you a few possibles:
  1. Drugs - after past issues, Fifita's manager could have insisted on a clause relating to drug use at the club.
  2. Salary - Fifita's manager could have insited of an automatic pay rise if the cap goes up. Maybe the Sharks are not in a position to honour this clause.
  3. Options - the two years left on his contract may be an option in Fifita's favour.

There are many clauses that could be in the contract and that we are not aware of. I agree it is a very big long shot however, it cannot be ruled out until Fifita's manager has ruled it out or until Millward announces who this marquee player to replace either Dugan or Packer is.
Possm
Your intentions are honourable no doubt but the logic you apply can be fashioned to any player.
Just rate all the players 1 - 350 start at the top of the list and say
Do you want to come to the StGI, if so how much do you want and are you willing to break your contract?
So under your theory every single player is an option, so let's take that as a given from your perspective.
Therefore under your model every time Millward gets a no he is therefore responsible for poor recruiting and should be sacked.
Now I don't think Millward is as great as some see him and I think he has dome some dumb shit but he can't be held totally responsible all the time.
Instead of grasping at straws, posters need to understand exactly who is really an option and put all the rest in the "they are not coming no matter what we do" basket.
For mine if we lose 2 internationals and replace them only from within I see that as "pathway" and can live with that on the proviso that we don't give up after 4 weeks.
If we lose 2 internationals and replace them with high quality SOO type players I can live with that.
If we lose 2 internationals and replace them with pie eater / journeymen / depth players / other club discards who get a walk up 1st grade start and hamper our internal pathway programme I certainly cannot live with that.
So a little bit of time until all the announcements are done so let's sit back and see what actually happens.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Possm
Your intentions are honourable no doubt but the logic you apply can be fashioned to any player.
Do you want to come to the StGI, if so how much do you want and are you willing to break your contract?
So under your theory every single player is an option, so let's take that as a given from your perspective.
Therefore under your model every time Millward gets a no he is therefore responsible for poor recruiting and should be sacked.
Now I don't think Millward is as great as some see him and I think he has dome some dumb shit but he can't be held totally responsible all the time.
Instead of grasping at straws, posters need to understand exactly who is really an option and put all the rest in the "they are not coming no matter what we do" basket.
For mine if we lose 2 internationals and replace them only from within I see that as "pathway" and can live with that on the proviso that we don't give up after 4 weeks.
If we lose 2 internationals and replace them with high quality SOO type players I can live with that.
If we lose 2 internationals and replace them with pie eater / journeymen / depth players / other club discards who get a walk up 1st grade start and hamper our internal pathway programme I certainly cannot live with that.
So a little bit of time until all the announcements are done so let's sit back and see what actually happens.

Thanks OT, well constructed post. hopefully Possm takes note.

possm

Coach
Possm
Great post. In 'a little bit of time' all good available players could be picked up by other Clubs. If Millward was uncertain about Dugan and Packer, surely he should have had a tilt at Tedesco, Hayne or Boyd as well as big props like Fifita, Woods, Kasiano, or Graham.

This waiting 6 months business usually only ends in the good players going to other Clubs and the bargain fringe first graders coming to us.

Old Timer

Coach
Great post. In 'a little bit of time' all good available players could be picked up by other Clubs. If Millward was uncertain about Dugan and Packer, surely he should have had a tilt at Tedesco, Hayne or Boyd as well as big props like Fifita, Woods, Kasiano, or Graham.

This waiting 6 months business usually only ends in the good players going to other Clubs and the bargain fringe first graders coming to us.
Maybe we did have a go for some but as I said some players need to be put in the "they are not coming no matter what we do" basket.

MilanDragon

Juniors

Who's to say he didn't have a go at Tedesco or the others?

As for those props Fifita or Graham aren't even off contract.

Possm - the job I do - There is plenty of competitors in the market in my industry. Even though I've consistently been above KPI's for the last 5 years it doesn't mean there haven't been prospective clients that have gone with a competitor. Sometimes I had no influence over their decision or there was other factors at play., despite putting the best deal forward.

I've also won (or helped my team) win plenty of deals over from competitors because of the proposition we offered, beyond price.

mickeylane

Bench
I was thinking last night, that the Dragons should offer the Beast of a player 750k over 3 years?
He was offered to Dragons early last year when he was going through hell but Dragons said no! i know his manager very well - he will be seeking a release from Sharks next year and asking for a $1M - hes very upset w Sharks as they have put him under a bus 3 times so far with their non sup[port...
1. Driving incident road rage
2. His support for noted killer Loveridge
3. Junior Football incident
4. Not supporting his brother David and his subsequent move to UK

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Fafita can play next to the No.1 prop in the country Paul Vaughn. Saints have a great prop in Vaughn. No need to waste a big chunk of the cap on front rowers.

Not a fan of a guy who supports someone who killed an innocent boy with a coward punch. Pretty fu#$ed up effort. Shows he has no sympathy for the poor family who lost their child.

On last nights performance alone Fifita could become the most expensive forward in the game. He would have to be one of the most dynamic front rowers of all time. How many props can lay claim to being genuine game breakers?

I wouldn't be surprised if his manager is looking for close to $1 million a season next time he comes off contract.
Any idea what his existing contract is BTN?

Let's not forget the Bulldogs fiasco trying to get him. It was BIG dollars then

He was offered to Dragons early last year when he was going through hell but Dragons said no! i know his manager very well - he will be seeking a release from Sharks next year and asking for a $1M - hes very upset w Sharks as they have put him under a bus 3 times so far with their non sup[port...
1. Driving incident road rage
2. His support for noted killer Loveridge
3. Junior Football incident
4. Not supporting his brother David and his subsequent move to UK
Lol

Life's Good

Coach
When I first saw OP I shook my head and thought WTF, I am sick of all the sh*t posted that is just the product of wandering minds. Whilst its likely to be BS it just goes to show that not much is concrete in the world of sports and contracts and anything is possible. Happy with Vaughan so as long as we don't lose him then our front row stocks are going ok.

Latest posts