What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN NEXT

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan hoping for happy homecoming
Tue 2nd May, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra and Kangaroos representative Josh Dugan is looking forward to playing for Australia back home in Canberra for the first time when he clashes with New Zealand at GIO Stadium this Friday.

Dugan also discusses the limited team changes to the Kangaroos following their Four Nations success last year and what it means to represent the nation once again.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/02/dugan_hoping_for_hap.html

possm

Coach
It looks like he'll stay on even though i was thinking he would be moving on - if so I'm hoping we can keep
Lafai
Packer
Mann
for around $800K between them
Lafai 350
Packer 400 now current NZ test player
Mann 300
Milne 200

1.2m - 1.35m would be a fair estimate of contract value p/a. However, Packer might be fielding offers from the Tigers in excess of 500k.

So if we did not sign Dugan and Mann was switched to fullback for 2018, We could sign all of the above by spending less than an extra 500k.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Lafai 350
Packer 400 now current NZ test player
Mann 300
Milne 200

1.2m - 1.35m would be a fair estimate of contract value p/a. However, Packer might be fielding offers from the Tigers in excess of 500k.

So if we did not sign Dugan and Mann was switched to fullback for 2018, We could sign all of the above by spending less than an extra 500k.

If MILLWARD could properly utilize TPA's we could easily retain them all.

possm

Coach
If MILLWARD could properly utilize TPA's we could easily retain them all.
And offer them the market price. When you look at the Dogs deal with Hoppa 150k plus TPA estimated in excess of 600k, Tedesco's deal with the Roosters 700k plus an estimated 500k TPA ........... you can see how much of an advantage those clubs using TPAs have over other Clubs.

I'd rather go for Hayne than keep Dugan mainly because he already has a TPA and may be able to keep it going as his sponsor is a life long Dragons supporter. Under this scenario we probably could keep all but Packer or all but Milne and Mann however we would have an awesome spine of Hayne, Widdop, Hunt and McInnes.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Mickey , Packer at only approx. $400 k ? Very cheap , must be more like $480 k - $520 k
The Tigers would be offering him a great deal more i believe and if so , we can only hope that he and his family are happy living in the Wollongong area .

Exactly Gareth
Packer offer similar to Vaughan

blacksafake

First Grade
Mickey , Packer at only approx. $400 k ? Very cheap , must be more like $480 k - $520 k
The Tigers would be offering him a great deal more i believe and if so , we can only hope that he and his family are happy living in the Wollongong area .
Been told tigers offer is 550.

Kuro

Juniors
Fair enough...they're all good players. But of all those players, only Weyman won a grand final. And he was recruited with a whole range of other players from other clubs such as Boyd, and Costigan.

Since then, Dugan, Vaughan, and Thompson were all on the outer at a club that has been as poor as us in the past few years.

Agreed mate, but recruitment isn't about just recruiting people who have played/won grand finals. It's a balancing act in respect to the salary, albeit, I agree that we haven't been on the top of it like some clubs have.

Good recruitment is not only able to find the best players who have that big game experience, but those who don't, but have the capacity to and fit in well with the team.

possm

Coach
Good recruitment would start at the top and work their way down negotiating all the time and referring to projections of their final cap figure compared to the authorised cap figure.

It would be better to lose 1 junior on 100k a year than lose a marquee player because you can't find 100k extra within the cap.

st.phil

Bench
550 for Packer is overs IMO - thats Vaughn money

Mid 4's is the go but then again if woods is getting 800k....

possm

Coach
550 for Packer is overs IMO - thats Vaughn money

Mid 4's is the go but then again if woods is getting 800k....
Same greedy manager as Dugan. Surely that is not the offer on the table from the Dragons.

I say if a deal can't be finalised this week, let both of them go. For an extra 1.5m on top of what we currently still have under the cap, we can sign Lafai, Mann, Milne and Hayne.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Same greedy manager as Dugan. Surely that is not the offer on the table from the Dragons.

I say if a deal can't be finalised this week, let both of them go. For an extra 1.5m on top of what we currently still have under the cap, we can sign Lafai, Mann, Milne and Hayne.
Nothing will be done this week while they are on international duty . And the Dugan camp is most likely waiting to see what happens and the Bulldogs with Hoppa and the Titans with Hayne . We know that Hayne has to let the Titans know by the end of May if he is staying or not .

Carlton

Juniors
Good recruitment would start at the top and work their way down negotiating all the time and referring to projections of their final cap figure compared to the authorised cap figure.

It would be better to lose 1 junior on 100k a year than lose a marquee player because you can't find 100k extra within the cap.

I know what you are getting at but its not quite that simple, you HAVE to have 30 players covered under the cap. Its about spending the money so that spread provides the best team, backups and future.

Depending on who signs and who takes up offers makes a huge difference to the next signings and who they will be. I think in the past there has been no plan but at the moment (and I am reserving some judgement) there does seem to be a move to try to balance the present team, the backups and the future.

If Packer is too expensive and moves on that's life, if Dugan is too expensive and moves on that's life. I love them both and would prefer them to stay and I would not move them on for any other players but, the management of the salary cap needs to be balanced.

Saintsified

Bench
Nahhh. Duges is ok....but certainly not in champion class. Boyd, Slater are champions. Duges is in the next tier. But opinions will vary i understand. Some may even have him in tier 3.
I put him above Boyd and Tedesco, slightly under Slater, Hayne (mainly due to his impressive performance couple years back at FB for NSW, was our best player, we did not miss Hayne), yes different to them and has had disruptions during his career but i would not trade him for any of them except maybe Slater and even him i would maybe say no due to his age. Dugan is coming of age and is only 26, plenty more to achieve and it will add to his status...i just love his warrior like appeal, fearless. Rest are pansies.

denis preston

First Grade
I put him above Boyd and Tedesco, slightly under Slater, Hayne (mainly due to his impressive performance couple years back at FB for NSW, was our best player, we did not miss Hayne), yes different to them and has had disruptions during his career but i would not trade him for any of them except maybe Slater and even him i would maybe say no due to his age. Dugan is coming of age and is only 26, plenty more to achieve and it will add to his status...i just love his warrior like appeal, fearless. Rest are pansies.

Couldn't disagree with you more. I would be shaking my head if we retain him on anything like 900k because i would be thinking how much of these extra dollars could be spent plugging up holes in other parts of our roster.. Better than Boyd & Tedesco ?? He has not changed his game whatsoever and i don't see massive improvements in him and if anything he has got slower We need our attack to fire to go up to the next level and Dugan doesn't really help this. Not saying he isn't a good player but I'm starting to think that he is shithouse value if we pay more than 600k.

Bench
These million dollar contracts are becoming the norm. There is a big down side to this. Clubs need to get rid of players to accommodate the marquee players.
I fear these released players won't get a run in other clubs and will have to go to super league or just give the game away.

possm

Coach
These million dollar contracts are becoming the norm. There is a big down side to this. Clubs need to get rid of players to accommodate the marquee players.
I fear these released players won't get a run in other clubs and will have to go to super league or just give the game away.
30 players under the cap. The rich clubs will pick up the discards because they won't be paying 1m out of their salary cap. TPAs will prove to be the killer for poor clubs and I imagine that is what the NRL want. As Sydney clubs fall away, they might be relocated to other more desirable locations. We may also get some more joint ventures or even re-arranged joint ventures franchises such as:

Western Panthers - Penrith / Wests
Sydney West - Canterbury / Parramatta / Balmain
Sydney City - Easts / Souths
Southern Dragons - St George, Cronulla, Illawarra
Northern Eagles - Manly / Norths / Central Coast

Latest posts