What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

SaintPauli

Juniors
Great post. I agree with every bit of it. Anyone who missed it should read it.
The Roosters have won 3 of the last 4 minor premierships with hardly any local juniors. Either they recruit the best juniors better than all NRL clubs or simply outbid all NRL clubs. This issue here is the rest of us are disadvantaged. NRL should help true NRL junior development clubs keep most their juniors. A Draft administered by NRL is the way to go to stop high end of town greedy poachers

Frank Facer

First Grade
The Roosters have won 3 of the last 4 minor premierships with hardly any local juniors. Either they recruit the best juniors better than all NRL clubs or simply outbid all NRL clubs. This issue here is the rest of us are disadvantaged. NRL should help true NRL junior development clubs keep most their juniors. A Draft administered by NRL is the way to go to stop high end of town greedy poachers
I believe that Easts buy their juniors. They have no need for juniors. Melbourne have also been one of the most successful clubs in the comp over the past 11 years. Beside's Mahe Fonua, they too don't produce their own juniors either. I believe that we never should have merged. We should have been able to do what Easts are doing, but we can't. Even if we do produce top juniors, they have to be paid market value. We don't get any salary cap concessions for producing juniors.

As for the draft. Terry Hill challenged the draft and won. But Terry Hill was backed by Easts and Politis. To me, it was really Easts challengedthat the draft. Hill had already agreed to play for Easts, but Wests had an earlier pick and picked Hill in the draft.

possm

Coach
A draft is the best way to even out the talent however, the idea was defeated in the courts when previously attempted.

Another way to compensate the development clubs would be to:

1. Introduce transfer payments which increases/decreases the salary cap of clubs.
2. Make players salaries, TPA information and club salary cap information public information to provide more transparency.
3. Limit each club to a maximum of 3 'marquee players'.
4. NRL to take over the TPA scheme with the main thrust being to keep our elite players within the NRL competition. National sponsorship rather than club local sponsorship. NRL to work with player managers with the TPA program.

mickeylane

Bench
Apparently Dugan is tearing it up a centre in the SOO camp - he was looking electric in the words of James Hooper.

I would like to see the backline for Dragons as follows going thru to rest of season plus it solves the Mann conundrum.

1. Nightingale
2. McDonald
3 Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Mann

6. Widdop
7. Mcrone

17. Field ( to cover on the bench)

Rocket Rod

Juniors
At this mornings press conference at SOO camp Duges was asked what swayed him to sign at the sharks. His simple answer was "the extra year".
There you go, obviously was a tongue in cheek offer by the Dragons and in effect they were happy for him to walk. I'm sure they knew a four year offer and he would've stayed.
Duges spoke with great maturity but for him it was strictly business.
I'm a bit each way on reflection.

ALSGI

Bench
At this mornings press conference at SOO camp Duges was asked what swayed him to sign at the sharks. His simple answer was "the extra year".
There you go, obviously was a tongue in cheek offer by the Dragons and in effect they were happy for him to walk. I'm sure they knew a four year offer and he would've stayed.
Interesting, if we can sign Mann, Milne, Lafai and bring on Field, Dufty and other juniors I can see the strategy in lettting him go. Even 3 years with us would risk losing or stalling some of these guys.

blacksafake

First Grade
Apparently Dugan is tearing it up a centre in the SOO camp - he was looking electric in the words of James Hooper.

I would like to see the backline for Dragons as follows going thru to rest of season plus it solves the Mann conundrum.

1. Nightingale
2. McDonald
3 Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Mann

6. Widdop
7. Mcrone

Sorry but just can't see the point in Nighty at fullback with Dugan available.Don't mind if you are planning for the future but Nighty is not the future.

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting, if we can sign Mann, Milne, Lafai and bring on Field, Dufty and other juniors I can see the strategy in lettting him go. Even 3 years with us would risk losing or stalling some of these guys.
Depending on what the club chooses to do they may get stalled for journeymen anyway.
I just see no clear pathway for any of them but when you look at Cowboys, Easts, Melbourne, Tigers, Manly, Penrith they are always dotted with youth coming through.
In between time we keep signing drifters and 2nd raters who get a crack at 1st far too often.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Depending on what the club chooses to do they may get stalled for journeymen anyway.
I just see no clear pathway for any of them but when you look at Cowboys, Easts, Melbourne, Tigers, Manly, Penrith they are always dotted with youth coming through.
In between time we keep signing drifters and 2nd raters who get a crack at 1st far too often.
I think you will find that may be a thing of the past imo

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan discusses Blues berth
Thu 25th May, 11:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra's Josh Dugan has spoken to the media inside the New South Wales camp ahead of State of Origin I on May 31st at Suncorp Stadum, Brisbane.

Dugan was picked in the centres to play his 10th Origin for the Blues earlier in the week, and has been joined by Dragons teammates Jack de Belin and Tyson Frizell in the Kingscliff camp.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/05/25/dugan_discusses_blue.html

possm

Coach

1. Nightingale
2. McDonald
3 Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Mann

6. Widdop
7. Mcrone

Selecting Nightingale at fullback does nothing to solve our fullback problem for 2018. I'd select Nightingale at 5 - his preferred position - and Mann at fullback. Give Field 20min at fullback towards the end of the game and switch Mann to halfback with McCrone going to the bench. If Field is not up to it, switch him to 7 with Mann going back to fullback.

Nightingale at 5 will sure up the right side defence providing Mary does not go for the up and in structure.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
Selecting Nightingale at fullback does nothing to solve our fullback problem for 2018. I'd select Nightingale at 5 - his preferred position - and Mann at fullback. Give Field 20min at fullback towards the end of the game and switch Mann to halfback with McCrone going to the bench. If Field is not up to it, switch him to 7 with Mann going back to fullback.

Nightingale at 5 will sure up the right side defence providing Mary does not go for the up and in structure.
In 2018 McCrone will be goooone. In case you forgot a Mr Hunt is on his way

MilanDragon

Juniors

Right line of thinking.. my concern would be shuffling half the spine around mid game every game. Just for team chemistry it can be disruptive during a game.

OzDragon

Coach
RL players aren't the smartest bunch so have a limited amount of time to earn as much money as they can because unless you're in the media, it'll be hard to find a steady job afterwards. Can't blame Dugan for snapping up as much guaranteed money as possible.

giboz71

First Grade

Yep, the extra year was the kicker. If he agreed to a 3 year deal, sure we would have met the 750k he ended up signing for.

The club had to make a call, and estimate what his value would be when he'd be 31 years or age, given he's progressively slowed down over the years and still prone to injury. He's no longer the prodigious attacking threat like he was at the Raiders. That's a big risk of an extra $750k we could use elsewhere.

And we need to keep in mind, we'll have the likes of Vaughan, McInnes, JDB, Friz and any number of our juniors that may need to be re-signed about the same time so we'll need all the cap money we can get.

1. Nightingale
2. McDonald
3 Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Mann

6. Widdop
7. Mcrone

But, but knighty is on wingers money

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...r/news-story/985b1ec03ad8dfbe77212f7d01bea0ad

Interesting article. Josh seems pretty dirty with the club. Whilst I understand where he is coming from, I feel like his ego is getting in the way a little bit here.

This whole thing about "just wanting to hear that I am an elite player" makes him seem a little bit precious.
Arguments both ways, faults on both sides.

Move on I guess.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...r/news-story/985b1ec03ad8dfbe77212f7d01bea0ad

Interesting article. Josh seems pretty dirty with the club. Whilst I understand where he is coming from, I feel like his ego is getting in the way a little bit here.

This whole thing about "just wanting to hear that I am an elite player" makes him seem a little bit precious.
Arguments both ways, faults on both sides.

Move on I guess.

Can't blame him, it's in direct response to Millward publicly shitting on him during contract talks.