What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DUGAN TO BE ANNOUNCED A SHARK THIS FRIDAY!

Gareth67

First Grade
Something smells very fishy ( or should I say Sharky ) about all of this .
Why would a man continue to whinge after he has made his decision about his playing future ?

The deal has been done now , he has already signed on the dotted line and said that he will be a Shark from 2018 . Now get on and prove to everyone that you are indeed the international player that you are and earn the rest of your contract money without any further whinging .

Behave as a real man would . Roll your sleeves up and put everything else behind you and get stuck into the work . Otherwise one could be excused for thinking that this was some sort of ploy by Cronulla to get you over their way this year !
In short , now was not the time to go airing your dirty laundry in full view of the public .

That in my opinion is a very low act , one most unbecoming of a player who is a current international and more so from one whom wears the Big Red V !

Last edited:

The calm one

Juniors
Why would a man continue to whinge after he has made his decision about his playing future ?

The deal has been done now , he has already signed on the dotted line and said that he will be a Shark from 2018 . Now get on and prove to everyone that you are indeed the international player that you are and earn the rest of your contract money with the club that pulled you off the roof when there was no other way down .

Behave as a real man would . Roll your sleeves up and put everything else behind you and get stuck into the work . Otherwise one could be excused for thinking that this was some sort of ploy by Cronulla to get you over their way this year !
In short , now was not the time to go airing your dirty laundry in full view of the public .

That in my opinion is a very low act , one most unbecoming of a player who wears the Big Red V jersey !
He just spat his dummy because the dragons wouldn't give him what he wanted

possm

Coach
I reckon Mann will leave and I don't blame him if he does.
All thanks to Mary.
CC
Man has never been in Millward's plan. If Mann is signed it would be because he has impressed to the extent that the Club sees him as a valuable utility player.

possm

Coach

The deal has been done now , he has already signed on the dotted line and said that he will be a Shark from 2018 . Now get on and prove to everyone that you are indeed the international player that you are and earn the rest of your contract money with the club that pulled you off the roof when there was no other way down .

That in my opinion is a very low act , one most unbecoming of a player who wears the Big Red V jersey !
I'd be surprised if Dugan puts in his best at the Dragons for the remainder of the season. Mary has backed him all the way however, he now knows that Mary does not have much say these days. My guess is that Dugan will play right centre for the remainder of this season.

OzDragon

Coach
Josh Dugan on Dragons exit: Loyalty won't pay the bills when you're 40

Michael Chammas

All Josh Dugan wanted was a bit of respect. The manner in which St George Illawarra handled its contract negotiations left a sour taste in the mouth of the NSW Origin representative.
Dugan has a great appreciation for the club that provided him with a career lifeline after a series of off-field indiscretions in the nation's capital.
And while he wanted to remain at the club, the loyalty card was never a factor.
"Everyone talks about loyalty but at the end of the day loyalty won't pay the bills when you're 40," Dugan said.
Having been left frustrated by the Dragons' inability to budge on their attempt to pigeonhole him as a centre, the Sharks circled with a different method of negotiation.
While it's likely he ends up playing in the same position he refused to do so at the Dragons, he insists there was a level of disrespect shown by the joint venture.
"Yeah, pretty much," Dugan said when asked if he just wanted respect from the Dragons.
"That's what I tried to say a while ago. The way it panned out, the talk was fullback money or centre money. It was never about that. It was about getting what I thought I was worth as a rep player and being able to play a couple of positions and going from there.
"That's what Flanno's told me. He said, 'look, I'm not going to guarantee you anything but we've bought you as an elite player'. I'm happy with that."
With Valentine Holmes likely to be Cronulla's long-term fullback, Dugan isn't naive to think he will walk straight into the No.1 jersey when he joins the Sharks next year.

Bullsh!t ...........respect my ass.

Dragons - Sorry we didn't say how marvelous and what a elite player you are.
Cronulla - You are such an elite player, were going to offer you the same money as the Dragons.
Dugan is an imbecile if he thinks he'll be playing fullback at the cokeheads next year. Holmes has that wrapped up and he has the support of their drug cheat of a coach.

If one of the main reasons why he left is because we didn't call him a world class elite player, then good riddance.

But kudos for not dancing around the reason.

possm

Coach
Dugan is an imbecile if he thinks he'll be playing fullback at the cokeheads next year. Holmes has that wrapped up and he has the support of their drug cheat of a coach.

If one of the main reasons why he left is because we didn't call him a world class elite player, then good riddance.

More importantly the Sharks are paying their chosen fullback 1m p/a and Dugan 700k p/a - unless of course they have a sneaky TPA for Dugan.

denis preston

First Grade
Man has never been in Millward's plan. If Mann is signed it would be because he has impressed to the extent that the Club sees him as a valuable utility player.[/QUOTE
]
You keep saying this but how do you know ?? You yourself write on the previous page how these negotiations should be conducted but you keep saying this.

Negotiations should be conducted in private between the player manager and the club official.

possm

Coach
Millward this year has stated his dream of having Field at fullback and Robson at hooker. I think he failed to mention anything about Dufty even though Dufty is really performing well at fullback in reserve grade.

Look when things are a mess you try and do your best to explain away things that don't make sense.

It's just a mess .............

Old Timer

Coach
Dugan was asked a question and gave a straight answer.
If that is his reason so be it.
The over riding thing is he wanted to stay and it is pretty plain that is not what the club wanted.
The club clearly could have said you are free agent by all means have a look around but there is no contract here for you after 2017.
The club kept wanting to hedge its bet and by doing so created the confusion not Dugan.
Funny how people want to turn it around and now bag the shit our of Dugan whilst Millward was the engineer that f**ked up the construction of the deal and he is now completely bunkered down having got the outcome he desired.
It could have all been done much more professionally and the club has horrible recent form in this area.

Old Timer

Coach
For the record if I was a player thinking about coming to the Dragons and I looked in here and saw the shitty attitude some people have about players leaving the club even after great and loyal service I wouldn't be too impressed with some of it.
How quickly people turn on the players and want to make piss arse excuses about the clubs involvement in the breakdown of some of these negotiations.

SaintElroy

Juniors
I love the duges but his ego was bruised and he spat the dummy. So what if the club saw him and said he was a centre. He is... nsw, Australian and next year the sharks. He is a great fullback but we obviously thought it was time to try a ball playing fullback in the future as points weren't coming to easy for us last year. If millward said don't worry duges you're an elite player and held his hand as they crossed the road would he have stayed? What's done is done he got the extra year and someone to tell him he is elite. i don't hold it against anyone. We just both wanted different things.

saintsarealive1

Juniors

I agree. Dugan is EGO PERSONIFIED.

Call me an elite player or i will leave. Sheeezzee!

He may be an elite player compared to park footballers....but he is NOT an elite players amongst State of origin, test players, etc.

JT, Cam Smith, Cronk, Slater when fit, even Boyd are elite amongst SOO and test players.

Dugan aint.

Dumb ass shonkies will see.

Good player. ... yes.

Elite?..... ha!

The way he is carrying on... drop him to nsw cup.

Yes he is entitled to think what he thinks....but to blurb it out in public when he is still our FB..shows he needs to read Benntts book....The man in the mirror.

Keep it in house Duges or piss off

SaintElroy

Juniors

He may be an elite player compared to park footballers....but he is NOT an elite players amongst State of origin, test players, etc.

JT, Cam Smith, Cronk, Slater when fit, even Boyd are elite amongst SOO and test players.

Dugan aint.

Good player. ... yes.

Elite?..... ha!

Yes he is entitled to think what he thinks....but to blurb it out in public when he is still our FB..shows he needs to read Benntts book....The man in the mirror.

Haha just said the same thing almost

SaintElroy

Juniors

Dugan aint.

Good player. ... yes.

Elite?..... ha!

Brownie probably would have dropped him to reggies for that

saintsarealive1

Juniors
For the record if I was a player thinking about coming to the Dragons and I looked in here and saw the shitty attitude some people have about players leaving the club even after great and loyal service I wouldn't be too impressed with some of it.
How quickly people turn on the players and want to make piss arse excuses about the clubs involvement in the breakdown of some of these negotiations.

We dont respect or like players who bleat in public and air dirty laundry.

A team sticks together... and currently he is part of our team.

He is immature... up himself... and sounding like a desparate housewife.

Yeahhh...we turn on dick heads.

giboz71

First Grade

Said it in JA that there are learnings on both sides and each could have handled this drawn out saga better.

But I can't help but think that Duges has done pretty well for himself at the Dragons. Was reported last year that his 2016 salary was 800k making him one of the top 10 highest paid players in the game. The 9 other guys on the list were all bona fide premiership winners (Cronk, JT, Smith, GI, Burgess, DCE, Foran, Slater etc). Here is the link:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...n/news-story/6261c5e95cbbf4adf1a03cd230cc3337

That's a pretty elite list to be a part of and we can argue Duges hasn't really reached the heights of the others on that list. The Dragons have made him a pretty rich NRL player the last 4 years.

And when you consider the point we gave him a lifeline, right after he got sacked by the Raiders (for the rooftop incident) and notionally sacked by the Broncos (after the "end yourself" tweet), it leaves a pretty bitter taste in my mouth when he bags the club publicly.

possm

Coach
We dont respect or like players who bleat in public and air dirty laundry.

A team sticks together... and currently he is part of our team.

He is immature... up himself... and sounding like a desparate housewife.

Yeahhh...we turn on dick heads.
I like Dugan as a player. You can see his hurting and sometimes people lash out when they've been hurt. I'm sure Dugan wanted to finish his career at the Dragons and didn't really think Millward would putt the offer off the table.

Well now he gets a new coach and as a centre, his body will stand up a bit longer. At end of season I will be sad to see him go, but then again, in my time I have seen many great Dragon players come and go.

Gareth67

First Grade
For the record , as others have already mentioned , Duges IS a current Dragon and the fact that there is still another 14 or so competition matches to be played , one would had expected him to hold whatever grievances he may had until after he had left the club .

Nor do i view our disappointment of his ' Dear Del ' tell all , as turning on him . As badly as the negotiations were handled on both sides , I believe that Millward , being a representative of the Joint Venture , would be duty bound not to comment upon the proceedings . Nor would he wish to derail the remainder of the Dragons season , by pouring salt onto a open wound .

Finally the majority , if not all , Forum members have always given their opinions upon any thread subject , presumably without being branded as turncoats , a rather harsh judgement , considering we all really want what is best for the team . Should any prospective player view our Forum site before signing on the dotted line , he would need to get his head read , as the dollars certainly will not be found here .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
For the record , as others have already mentioned , Duges IS a current Dragon and the fact that there is still another 14 or so competition matches to be played , one would had expected him to hold whatever grievances he may had until after he had left the club .

Nor do i view our disappointment of his ' Dear Del ' tell all , as turning on him . As badly as the negotiations were handled on both sides , I believe that Millward , being a representative of the Joint Venture , would not comment as he does not wish to derail the Dragons season by pouring salt onto an open wound .
The whole Dugan matter confirms my view that Millward is not suitable for the recruitment job. He is a worker not a Director.

What a mess