What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan

watatank

Coach
It seems we have reverted back to trying to go around teams and doing it badly. Running through teams should always be the goal IMO.

The Nick

Bench
he is definitely the whipping boy whenever we lose - he was still close to our best last night

Nobody here has bagged his performance last night, I thought he tried his guts out and had some great runs. He was obviously still recovering from Origin so it made his efforts even more remarkable.

The criticism is more around how he is utilised within our attacking structure.

st.phil

Bench
Nobody here has bagged his performance last night, I thought he tried his guts out and had some great runs. He was obviously still recovering from Origin so it made his efforts even more remarkable.

The criticism is more around how he is utilised within our attacking structure.
yep but net result we lost and theres a thread about Dugan...

anyway probs splitting hairs here

jenninga

First Grade
Our big problem is with Morris gone we have no speed in our backline.
In saying that to be where we are on the table with this problem is a credit to the team.The try last night is as good as any seen this year.
I love my Saints.

The Nick

Bench
yep but net result we lost and theres a thread about Dugan...

anyway probs splitting hairs here

Read OP.

For future record - when is appropriate time to discuss issues with attack? After a win? Yep, definitely splitting hairs buddy.

possm

Coach
Dugan should not be expected to 'do a Boyd'.

A better move would be to have Benji move to the left, Widdop to drop back to 'do the Boyd' and Dugan to come up the centre either to take the ball or to be the decoy.
I think Dugan running hard up the middle would have a good chance of breaking through if he just ran hard up the middle off a pass from Widdop.

rainman44

Bench

A better move would be to have Benji move to the left, Widdop to drop back to 'do the Boyd' and Dugan to come up the centre either to take the ball or to be the decoy.
I think Dugan running hard up the middle would have a good chance of breaking through if he just ran hard up the middle off a pass from Widdop.

Bingo

giboz71

First Grade

I can see why Mary persisting with him being a distributor on that sweeping play. If he gets the ball in space inside the 20, this will attract multiple defenders which should create overlaps for our wingers.

Given his ability as a ball runner, most teams will not be able to defend him one on one close the line if our halves put him in space. If he had the those FB instincts, he could either try and beat his man or release his winger if the wing defender leaves his man. The best fullbacks make all the right choices in that split second. Brett Stewart is the master at this.

Given the money we have thrown at Benji, Widdop and Dugan, we should be scoring more tries like this.

TruSaint

Referee
In a team that made over 440 tackles to Chooks 328, 43% possession, he carved 178 metres.
He's good.

giboz71

First Grade
In a team that made over 440 tackles to Chooks 328, 43% possession, he carved 178 metres.
He's good.

Not disputing that Tru. Dugan is a fantastic player.

Just trying to offer an explanation why Mary persists in using him like that. It's a smart play given Dugans running ability. Who knows, by the time the semis come around, he will start nailing that play.

TruSaint

Referee
Not disputing that Tru. Dugan is a fantastic player.

Just trying to offer an explanation why Mary persists in using him like that. It's a smart play given Dugans running ability. Who knows, by the time the semis come around, he will start nailing that play.

Understand giboz and your points are valid in regard to his use. Just wanted to highlight that the guy was busted post origin and still achieved remarkable gain in ground. Fine tuning this kid could lead to anything. Im just glad he's in our corner. ;-)

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Boyd was pretty average in 2009, his passing game was non-existent until 2010.

I'm sure Dugan can be taught to pass in the offseason, it surely can't be that hard.

The Nick

Bench

Agreed.

The Nick

Bench
I can see why Mary persisting with him being a distributor on that sweeping play. If he gets the ball in space inside the 20, this will attract multiple defenders which should create overlaps for our wingers.

Given his ability as a ball runner, most teams will not be able to defend him one on one close the line if our halves put him in space. If he had the those FB instincts, he could either try and beat his man or release his winger if the wing defender leaves his man. The best fullbacks make all the right choices in that split second. Brett Stewart is the master at this.

Given the money we have thrown at Benji, Widdop and Dugan, we should be scoring more tries like this.

I said in a previous thread that I'd like to see this move with Dugan sweeping as a decoy - because like you said he draws a few players - but with Euan Aitken running the outside-in line and being hit with a short ball of Benji or Widdop's hip. I think running that play close to the line would trouble a few defences.

Minh

First Grade
He's good.

This.....the guy is a star, yes he has deficiencies but he has a heap of upside as well that other fullbacks don't have either size, power, enough speed and unpredictability.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I said in a previous thread that I'd like to see this move with Dugan sweeping as a decoy - because like you said he draws a few players - but with Euan Aitken running the outside-in line and being hit with a short ball of Benji or Widdop's hip. I think running that play close to the line would trouble a few defences.

This. There is multiple variances of this that could be used. Frizz used as decoy as well or with Widdop doing the wrap around same as the last few weeks. Could be used to great effect on both sides of the paddock.