What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan

TheRev

Coach
In respect of defence Coote wouldn't be good enough to tie up Dugan's boot laces nor would a heap other FB's.
Ur being a bit emotional I think.. Duges has his strengths, but your massively over-valuing him as a player, he isnt in the top 10 NRL fullbacks.

Duges was pretty obviously coming into this weekend with a point to prove after essentially being injured again and watching his club bow out of the finals race... but despite his hulking size, Coote on the weekend still did a better job of saving tries and Duges still blew a straight forward try opportunity because hes just not fast or agile anymore. It was one of Dugans best games all year, but if you think Coote or numerous other fullbacks cant tie his bootlaces.. sorry but no.

The Doc

Juniors
Ur being a bit emotional I think.. Duges has his strengths, but your massively over-valuing him as a player, he isnt in the top 10 NRL fullbacks.

Duges was pretty obviously coming into this weekend with a point to prove after essentially being injured again and watching his club bow out of the finals race... but despite his hulking size, Coote on the weekend still did a better job of saving tries and Duges still blew a straight forward try opportunity because hes just not fast or agile anymore. It was one of Dugans best games all year, but if you think Coote or numerous other fullbacks cant tie his bootlaces.. sorry but no.
No doubt Rev... Dugan had a monster game on the weekend.
But ur right, he had a good game in regards to what he does best, other fullbacks shine with what they do best.
Old timer is right as in not many can tie duges' shoe laces in respect to kick return metres...
But in many other facets of a fullbacks duties there are other fullbacks dugan doesnt come close to.
Im happy with what duges brings though...

OzDragon

Coach
The Sharks game made me realise just how much we missed Dugan, especially in defence. Not to mention his ability to break tackles, which none of our other fullback options used so far can do.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
The Dragons are always interested in quality players, but not sure how the Trbojevic brothers fit in with our strategic plans of organic growth?

st.phil

Bench

haha - look you make some points but way off on others, namely the not in the top 10! I thought Duges looked a lot "free-er" on saturday, seemed more aware of passing and looked to have dropped a couple Kgs. Put him in with dominant playmakers and hooker and you'd see it in a whole new light.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
If you trawl back through the archives to 2009 there were plenty of people on this forum that argued that Darius Boyd was an ineffective fullback and should be moved into the centres.

Opinions around here change with the seasons. Dugan is an excellent fullback. He can't ball play. That's only an issue because neither can our halves and hooker. Anthony Minichiello at his peak was one of the best to ever wear the #1 and he couldn't ball play either.

We have a fullback who is arguably the best in the game defensively and runs for over 200m a game, yet we have an armchair critic here suggesting he's not in the top 10, despite a lot of good (and much more accomplished) judges clearly disagreeing.

giboz71

First Grade

Not in the Top 10 might be stretching it.

Clearly, Boyd, RTS, Tedesco, Slater (when fit) are superior when it comes to all round ability. GI as well when he's playing FB.

You could make a case as well for Coote and Moylan for their ball playing and their ability to play in the halves. And Barba has had a phenomenal year. You can't ignore 13 tries, 16 try assists and 15 line breaks. Dugan doesn't come close to these types of numbers.

And Tommy Turbo and Munster are 2 undeniable talents.

Plenty of good fullbacks around. Dugan is definitely in the Top 10, but given the coin we give him, so he should be.

since77

Juniors
Boyd, RTS, Tedesco, Slater, Inglis - all excellent fullbacks no doubt. And no arguments about their superior ball playing ability. Barba has had great year - capitalising on the back of a great Shark's attacking structure.

What would all of the above's number of tries, try assists and line breaks look like under a coach like Mc Gregor and the 2016 St George Illawarra attacking structures?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dugan is a gun and I think has excelled at Saints. Made NSW and Origin teams and not playing his natural position I must add. Played on the wing for Aus and Centres for NSW. Must have been pretty good to get picked at reps not to play his natural position.

Dugan is a crucial part of the red V and their future. I see him as a future capt. I am sure if (which I highly doubt) we do get the Trbjovic twins, they will slot Duges at centre where he wants to be. How good would that be if we get the 2 boys at Manly. It will be like Karma. They took the Stewarts and we end up with the Trbjovic's.

John moz

Juniors
Dugan has class he has been out for weeks since state of origin comes back and lifts the hole team with his runs and defense. He is a leader and plays with passion he loves the red v.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Boyd no 1, Dugan no 2. None of those other fullbacks mentioned have played for the Dragons so they can't be any good.

Old Timer

Coach

Rev
"Essentially injured again" you say which implies he is out to often.
FFS he had a broken jaw courtesy of a GI illegal tackle so, "not out essentially injured again" in actual fact put out by fowl play.

How did Coote do a better job of saving tries FFS they lost.
I said "can't tie his boot laces" in respect of defence and just about everybody on this forum would agree with that.

Already people are questioning your "not in the top 10 FB's in the NRL" statement. You think I over value his worth well I say you under value his worth.

You talk about what he was like when he came to us which is fair but he has played with 2 wanker coaches, unbalanced halves, poor service from the 9, lazy arsed forwards who take forever to get back onside from opposition kick chases and yet he has proven to be the best kick return FB in the comp and if we had a winger who could run fast to pass to he might actually do it. In fact there is more chance he will do something by keeping the ball than passing it to the pedestrian paced wingers we have had over the last few years.

I am sure if you asked the playing group what his worth is to the team it would be of the highest level yet you seem to think he is a mug.

Quite frankly IMO you have no idea what a great player Dugan is and with decent coaches, halves and wingers what he could be.

TheRev

Coach
Not in the Top 10 might be stretching it.

I have Duges around 15th on my NRL Fullback recruitment list, the top 20 that come to mind are listed below (in no particular order).. a few of them are just kids... and no guarantee they will kick on, but some of these kids would be a brilliant investment... particularly @ 250-400k vs Dugans 800k salary.

o Dugan
o Boyd
o Trbojvic
o RTS
o Lolohea
o Gordon
o BMoz
o Hopoate
o Barba
o Holmes
o J.Bird
o Hayne
o Slater
o Munster
o Coote
o Moylan
o GI
o Walker
o Mitchel
o Tedesco

There are only a couple of NRL clubs that Dugan would get a starting position in, this is why we signed Mann & attempted to sign Coote, so we could get Duges out of the #1 jersey.

giboz71

First Grade
I have Duges around 15th on my NRL Fullback recruitment list, the top 20 that come to mind are listed below (in no particular order).. a few of them are just kids... and no guarantee they will kick on, but some of these kids would be a brilliant investment... particularly @ 250-400k vs Dugans 800k salary.

o Dugan
o Boyd
o Trbojvic
o RTS
o Lolohea
o Gordon
o BMoz
o Hopoate
o Barba
o Holmes
o J.Bird
o Hayne
o Slater
o Munster
o Coote
o Moylan
o GI
o Walker
o Mitchel
o Tedesco

There are only a couple of NRL clubs that Dugan would get a starting position in, this is why we signed Mann & attempted to sign Coote, so we could get Duges out of the #1 jersey.

Mate , respect your opinion and part of me agrees with you. In terms for bang for buck, we can do a lot better than Dugan.

But you're about to get slaughtered for saying he's the 15th best fullback haha!

Old Timer

Coach
Rev
You honestly have NFI and are clutching at straws in your attempts to discredit Dugan.
Your list highlights people who don't even play FB for their clubs so how would you know what they can do?
Anyway you are entitled to your opinion I just happen to think its very
ill-informed re Dugan.

emu62

Juniors
Mate , respect your opinion and part of me agrees with you. In terms for bang for buck, we can do a lot better than Dugan.

But you're about to get slaughtered for saying he's the 15th best fullback haha!

I can't rate fullbacks in any order as i think they all bring different qualities to their respective teams but i know there is not too many on your list i would actually swap Dugan for

Sorry this should be a reply to Revs post

emu62

Juniors
Just a few thoughts on your list Rev

o Boyd - Dugan will play under different coaches
o Trbojvic - I cant pronounce his name
o RTS - injured
o Lolohea - Positionally caught out badly many times on weekend
o Gordon - this is misprint or joke
o BMoz - Dugan will play without his brother
o Hopoate - Dugan will play on Sundays
o Barba - not bad
o Holmes - doesnt play full back
o J.Bird - doesnt play full back
o Hayne - Dugan doesnt have any dreams
o Slater - injured
o Munster - gay
o Coote - not bad
o Moylan - gay
o GI - plays 4 or 5 good games a year, rest of the time is missing
o Walker - Cody or Dylan
o Mitchel - closet gay
o Tedesco -Feigns Injury

Before any one gets offended it is all tongue in cheek

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
Rev
You honestly have NFI and are clutching at straws in your attempts to discredit Dugan.
Your list highlights people who don't even play FB for their clubs so how would you know what they can do?
Anyway you are entitled to your opinion I just happen to think its very
ill-informed re Dugan.
We tried to sign both Bird & Coote to play #1, even thought about Roberts.. we would wet ourselves to get Holmes @1..

Latest posts