What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan's worth

BringTheNoise

Juniors
We've got a season to finish and possibly a comp to win so let's all move on.
There is nothing more that can be said, as he is on his way at the end of the season, nothing alters that and people posting now are only trying to justify their own interpretation of his worth as a player or how the negotiations supposedly unfolded.
We need to make sure Duges still feels welcome at the club and we should all cheer his efforts which hopefully are unaffected, as no doubt he will be instrumental in what happens between now and the end of the season.
I hope he stays healthy and finishes on a high.

Exactly OT, seems many on here are taking any opportunity to lay the boot into Dugan. It seems to be a recurring theme as I recall similar discussions around Merrin and Morris after they signed elsewhere...

SEAT 1A

Bench
There is nothing more that can be said, as he is on his way at the end of the season, nothing alters that and people posting now are only trying to justify their own interpretation of his worth as a player or how the negotiations supposedly unfolded.
We need to make sure Duges still feels welcome at the club and we should all cheer his efforts which hopefully are unaffected, as no doubt he will be instrumental in what happens between now and the end of the season.

Well said OT and he is playing in his best position as fullback for the Dragons.

Old Timer

Coach
Exactly OT, seems many on here are taking any opportunity to lay the boot into Dugan. It seems to be a recurring theme as I recall similar discussions around Merrin and Morris after they signed elsewhere...
Very sad but true.
Many come, give their best, try to stay, circumstances prevent that and some of the fans turn incredibly nasty when 5 minutes ago they were praising the player, saying how good he was, cheering him on.
I have liked almost all the cars I have had but there comes a time when you have to part ways and I always remain thankful for the car keeping me safe and giving me its best performance and then I get busy being excited about the new one.
However during the period whilst I wait for the new car to arrive I still treat the old one with the respect it deserves to ensure it still performs well up until the last minute when I finally let it go.
I think there is a lesson in that for all us.
Let's hope the club makes some proper announcements sooner rather than later

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Seriously guys, if he had resigned with us, I'm sure we would all be cheering his defence and try saver tackle. Made up (a justification) that 1st game back and straight into biggest stage was not match fit and would have been cautious with his jaw injury...
Instead we are slamming the guy and predicting the guy is a dud signing for the Sharks...
All of a sudden Millward is a genius and can see the future Round 7 in 2019...Dugan out for 4 weeks with a hamstring injury....

The fact Saints took him from the gutter when nobody wanted him, gave him good dollars as well as resurrected his career and to turn around and say he did no re-sign because Saints did not respect him and Sharks did is what has people I think mostly pi$$ed off. He has said some trash about the club since he signed.

Packer left as well you know, but he did not trash the club and say that Tigers treated him with respect, etc. He left for bigger dollars which Saints could not match, end of story.

That is the difference and why Duges will have this hate. Where as Packer will not have the people bagging him that is for sure whilst he wears the red V.

I would really consider playing Duges after his comments as I don't think he will put in? How and why would he?

possm

Coach
To put it simply Dugans worth is around 700-750k a season in the current market as that's what the sharks offered him. About the same as what the dragons offered but over a different time frame.

If 4 clubs had offered him 500k and one offered him 700k then I'd say he is worth closer to 500k but the 5th club was either desperate or paid 'overs'.

For example if a house is listed for 1million and people offer that price that's what it's worth, the valuation company will say it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. However if that same house was listed for a million but got sold for 900k the buyer may feel they got a 'bargain' and bought a house worth more but the valuation company will still say the value is 900k as that's what was offered for it.

#economics101
Or the fifth club has access to TPA.

I'd say that the Lafai contract would be worth between 400k-450k.

House valuation are never what was offered, they are what a similar house in the local area actually sold for. A bank valuation would be about 75% of the actual valuation mainly because banks like a fire sale valuation.

possm

Coach
I'd love it if recruitment could do their stuff in secret and if they have an extension or a new signing to announce it asap but if they miss the signing or the player is moving on at the end of season, just shut-up and keep it quiet until end of season.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I think you are right. Dugan will be lucky to hold his place in the team for next game. I think Bird should have been picked ahead of Dugan for the first game anyway.

NSW also have Tom Trbjovic to come in. He would have been a certainty if fit. I would play Trbjovic at centre in origin, with Teddy our long term fullback.

Ridiculous. Barring injury Dugan will be there for game 2 and 3 and also Aus World Cup squad at the end of the year. I honestly don't know where you guys come up with this shit.

SaintElroy

Juniors
I'd love it if recruitment could do their stuff in secret and if they have an extension or a new signing to announce it asap but if they miss the signing or the player is moving on at the end of season, just shut-up and keep it quiet until end of season.

Like some of our threads

BringTheNoise

Juniors
The fact Saints took him from the gutter when nobody wanted him, gave him good dollars as well as resurrected his career and to turn around and say he did no re-sign because Saints did not respect him and Sharks did is what has people I think mostly pi$$ed off. He has said some trash about the club since he signed.

Packer left as well you know, but he did not trash the club and say that Tigers treated him with respect, etc. He left for bigger dollars which Saints could not match, end of story.

That is the difference and why Duges will have this hate. Where as Packer will not have the people bagging him that is for sure whilst he wears the red V.

I would really consider playing Duges after his comments as I don't think he will put in? How and why would he?

Resurrected his career? Fair dinkum at worst he would have gone to the ESL on big money for a season or 2 before returning to the NRL. All we did was take advantage of the situation because we were desperate for a marquee signing and going no-where under Price. It was a mutually beneficial agreement, the club needed Dugan as much as he needed us.

When has he ever talked trash about the club? He hasn't said a single deragatory thing. The individual target of his comments have been pretty obvious, and as I've stated several times it was in direct RESPONSE to Millward who started the shit with completely unprovoked and unprofessional comments.

And of course he will put in, show me one game where he hasn't given less than 100%.

Well done on taking the Dugan bashing to a ridiculous level.

Life's Good

Coach
Anyone posting Dugan will lose his SOO place is kidding themselves. Whilst he wasn't at his best he didn't do a lot wrong and when it come to the crunch he saved a certain try. You'd think he was Justin Oneill levels of sh*t based on some of the posts.

WardyRedV

Juniors
Anyone posting Dugan will lose his SOO place is kidding themselves. Whilst he wasn't at his best he didn't do a lot wrong and when it come to the crunch he saved a certain try. You'd think he was Justin Oneill levels of sh*t based on some of the posts.

He missed the same amount of tackles though.. 8 is a lot no matter which side of the scoreboard you're on. I think Dylan walker should be there to be honest.

Life's Good

Coach
Dugan wasn't fit & Loz put faith in him. Hard for Duges to say no. The missed tackles were clearly a result of plenty of traffic his way(QLD we're going nowhere in the middle). Anyway the point I am getting at is because he is leaving some now want to question if he was any good in the first place ludicrous.

Welcome aboard by the way.

WardyRedV

Juniors
Dugan wasn't fit & Loz put faith in him. Hard for Duges to say no. The missed tackles were clearly a result of plenty of traffic his way(QLD we're going nowhere in the middle). Anyway the point I am getting at is because he is leaving some now want to question if he was any good in the first place ludicrous.

Thanks mate.

I'll admit him leaving has made me think less of him but any right centre up against Will Chambers,in the form his in, is going to have a terrible time. That man is scary.

Life's Good

Coach
Thanks mate.

I'll admit him leaving has made me think less of him but any right centre up against Will Chambers,in the form his in, is going to have a terrible time. That man is scary.
No problem mate. I hoped he would stay and feel a little cheated he is leaving but that is the modern day sportsman.

For what it's worth I thought Gagai was the best of the centres in SOO.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Scary like our Tim lafai because he's a genuine centre at the peak of his game Josh is not a centre never has been never will be he was A very good fullback when he had speed but not any more.

denis preston

First Grade

Don't think most have been saying that ( except the mentally challenged in our group ) Dugan has been one of our best if not the best player most years and deserved the money he got. Things change though , fullbacks are now 5/8's with speed and command high salaries ( blame Slater for that ! ) Dugan is not one of these players. It is not about what Dugan has done in the red V ( which most of us acknowledge ) it is just that the club has invested in a change of direction and the pathways program if you really get into it , is exciting ( because we are a club with actual juniors ! )

Wish him well at the Sharkies ( except against us ! ) but it wasn't his ability or commitment we are questioning. It was how his money demands and length of contract fitted in with the overall plans and our administration of the salary cap for the other 24 players.

Crush

Coach
Dugan was a good signing for us. He was a shining light in an otherwise very ordinary side. We have got our moneys worth with him. Now we have moved on. We are better. We are evolving. Its time for Dugan to move on. Lets hope that he finshes the year on a high and contributes well to our finals success.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Wasn't able to watch the game this afternoon but looks like Dugan dished up some pretty decent stats despite backing up from Origin:

143 metres from 13 runs (2nd highest behind Lafai), 4 tackle busts, 1 line break and 1 line break assist.

Wasn't able to watch the game this afternoon but looks like Dugan dished up some pretty decent stats despite backing up from Origin:

143 metres from 13 runs (2nd highest behind Lafai), 4 tackle busts, 1 line break and 1 line break assist.

Dragons were a little better than a woeful Tigers outfit.

Dugan was great.

But apparently it's not a mess.

Straight Shooter

Latest posts