What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dugan's worth

mickeylane

Bench
Crush,
Only Mary supports afraid of the wheels falling off come finals time are pushing for Mary to be extended asap. I hold the view that there is nothing to be gained and all to be lost by rushing to appoint this man as coach. Who knows what opportunities will become available at end of season so why not wait and let things unfold so the Club can make the right decision?
McGregor WILL sign His new contract this week!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
No dugan no win in todays game he is a fullback and dragons should seriously reconsider. The matt dufty would have not done what dugan did today saving tries .

The Dragons "should reconsider" what exactly?

Dugan has waived the 10 day "cooling period" regarding his new contract with Cronulla.

ALSGI

Bench
He will no doubt get a few suspensions throughout his career, he plays the game with so much aggression. He dominates guys that are bigger and stronger than him with pure toughness.
Love him.
And Thommo knows how to find the line too, great player.

getsmarty

Immortal
The Dragons "should reconsider" what exactly?

Dugan has waived the 10 day "cooling period" regarding his new contract with Cronulla.

Because according to ABC and others we allegedly took our offer off the table. Offer was there for 6 months;Millward made an evaluation of the player which in the end was correct as the Sharks paid similar but an extra year. Time to move on from this. All the best to Josh for this year and the future.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Dugan's worth.....as much as someone wants to pay for him simple as that.
If anyone had ever been to the Easter yearling sales you'll find some of the most expensive horses become super flops and the cheapies deliver great value to the owners.

If, however, you are asking his worth within the team then its a different story. IMO, Dugan is worth his weight in gold in our defensive 40m - goal-line area. Over our 40m and he value drops considerably.

Finally, Dugan's worth as an inspiration to our team.....then it is immense. I think the whole team knows that defensively he will put his body on the line and everyone trusts him to do his job. Take yesterday, without Fuges we probably get beaten but his inspired defense wad infectious to everyone else on that defensive line.

Anyway thats my take on Dugan's worth. Sad he had signed with the Sharks but its time to move on and just think about our next game no point dwelling on the ifs and maybe's.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dugan's worth.....as much as someone wants to pay for him simple as that.
If anyone had ever been to the Easter yearling sales you'll find some of the most expensive horses become super flops and the cheapies deliver great value to the owners.

If, however, you are asking his worth within the team then its a different story. IMO, Dugan is worth his weight in gold in our defensive 40m - goal-line area. Over our 40m and he value drops considerably.

Finally, Dugan's worth as an inspiration to our team.....then it is immense. I think the whole team knows that defensively he will put his body on the line and everyone trusts him to do his job. Take yesterday, without Fuges we probably get beaten but his inspired defense wad infectious to everyone else on that defensive line.

Anyway thats my take on Dugan's worth. Sad he had signed with the Sharks but its time to move on and just think about our next game no point dwelling on the ifs and maybe's.

Agree...at the end of the day we have a bunch of promising juniors ; Field/Marsters/Herbert/Dufty/Sailor/ etc who if we sign Duges to a long term deal, possibly move on. Yes I am sad we couldn't keep him but fact is he wanted close to 1 mill which we were never going to pay and no one else offered that amount. We have a Roster to juggle and plenty of great prospects moving forward. Duges will be 28 next year so moving into his twilight years.He has been an absolute champion and always puts in 110% every time he plays.

We can't keep them all...we are not the Roosters/Bulldogs/Broncos who allegedly have almost unlimited 3rd party available.

giboz71

First Grade
Duges had a great game and he's obviously still a great player. But it's always been about is he worth his asking price which earlier in the year was pushing the million dollar mark from all reports.

Whilst he did a lot of good things, there were a couple of plays which shows his limitations. The first was the cold drop on a set play when we were hot on attack inside the 20 (that's happened a few times this year) And other plays where he's fumbled the pass or passed behind his man. Ball playing from set plays is just so unnatural for him.

Compare to Tedesco who threw that perfect pass for the Tigers first try. Such a weapon when you have a fullback who can do that . We would have never had that luxury with Duges.

Hence our assessment of his value is correct.

Well with the minimal contract of a first grader going from 80-85k upto 120k a year thats a big jump and the clubs will have to juggle payments as the squads will increase regardless of the under 20's going back to state based comps.

So you will basically be paying players at least 30k more a year and with the increase in squad numbers you just can't afford to be outlaying massive amounts on say 3 to 4 players.

The Dragons have invested heavily in Hunt and Widdop so that basically spelt the end for Packer and Dugan.

possm

Coach
Agree...at the end of the day we have a bunch of promising juniors ; Field/Marsters/Herbert/Dufty/Sailor/ etc who if we sign Duges to a long term deal, possibly move on. Yes I am sad we couldn't keep him but fact is he wanted close to 1 mill which we were never going to pay and no one else offered that amount. We have a Roster to juggle and plenty of great prospects moving forward. Duges will be 28 next year so moving into his twilight years.He has been an absolute champion and always puts in 110% every time he plays.

We can't keep them all...we are not the Roosters/Bulldogs/Broncos who allegedly have almost unlimited 3rd party available.
There's a good chance that none of the players you mention will be ready to play fullback in 2018 - Field/Marsters/Herbert/Dufty/Sailor/ etc. None are like for like or better at this stage of their career. To bring one of these player in to play fullback, the other 16 team mates will have to step right up to compensate.

getsmarty

Immortal
There's a good chance that none of the players you mention will be ready to play fullback in 2018 - Field/Marsters/Herbert/Dufty/Sailor/ etc. None are like for like or better at this stage of their career. To bring one of these player in to play fullback, the other 16 team mates will have to step right up to compensate.

Then sign Nighty for another year until they are ready...Pretty simple solution don't you think ?

They have invested alot of money in a 7 but having a 1 who flat out can not pass left to right will not help what so ever.

Watching Dugan pass is so painful mind you McCrone wasn't any help.

The 6 7 and 9 for next year is a good combo and if they can find a 1 who can actually chime into an attacking movement and can actually help thats a big plus.

possm

Coach
Then sign Nighty for another year until they are ready...Pretty simple solution don't you think ?
No! If the Club needed one more year to promote one of our juniors to fullback, Nightingale does his best but is too slow and does not eat up the metres.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Because according to ABC and others we allegedly took our offer off the table. Offer was there for 6 months;Millward made an evaluation of the player which in the end was correct as the Sharks paid similar but an extra year. Time to move on from this. All the best to Josh for this year and the future.

There is nothing to consider as Dugan has waived the 10 day 'cooling off' period.

He's made it clear he wants to leave the Dragons at season's end.

Dragsters

First Grade
They have invested alot of money in a 7 but having a 1 who flat out can not pass left to right will not help what so ever.

Watching Dugan pass is so painful mind you McCrone wasn't any help.

The 6 7 and 9 for next year is a good combo and if they can find a 1 who can actually chime into an attacking movement and can actually help thats a big plus.

Michael Gordon for a season would be perfect I reckon.

Give all the juniors one more season to sort out who is the best long term no.1.

Crush

Coach
Michael Gordon for a season would be perfect I reckon.

Give all the juniors one more season to sort out who is the best long term no.1.
Michael Gordon is a handy fullback but nothing special. I'd say he and nightingale are pretty even. Only advantage for Gordon is he can goal kick but we have widdop so we don't really need a goalkicking fullback

denis preston

First Grade
Michael Gordon is a handy fullback but nothing special. I'd say he and nightingale are pretty even. Only advantage for Gordon is he can goal kick but we have widdop so we don't really need a goalkicking fullback

WTF ? Sorry Crush IMO he is one of those players who has retained their speed & skills despite their vintage . I really think he would be a great " interim ' pickup.

Crush

Coach
WTF ? Sorry Crush IMO he is one of those players who has retained their speed & skills despite their vintage . I really think he would be a great " interim ' pickup.
I disagree. I think nightingale is just as good if not better than Gordon. Its not all about speed. If it were we would be playing with dufty and field.
I think people take for granted how good nightingale is.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Field doesn't have enough experience he's only played state of origin under 20s also junior kangaroo .but Mary needs much more after all mcgroan is a veteran with 3 million games experience.what more would you need .really the mind boggles .funny thing Mary deserves praise on 1 hand for getting the team in the right frame of mind he's doing a good job but he could have a much better team if only he had a look in his own backyard.