What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dureau's Newcastle ambition on the table as negotiations loom

Serc

First Grade
o_O

I am leading the Scotty brigade? Find me some posts where I've been on his nuts this year before you consider unleashing that line again!

(the last 2 years when trying to defend the guy against the almighty Karmawave don't quite count either)

Big Tim

First Grade
Would be nice to keep Scott. If we can get another halfback, he will be on fringe half money. Until we sign another genuine halfback we need Dureau.

Though, I would love him to go to another club and become a great firstgrader. Then we could have the Walsh v Dureau v Random signing thread!!!!!!!

ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!

Serc

First Grade
Hey Tim - we need to unearth the "we kept the right half" and "we kept the wrong half" threads I reckon!

Rolla

Juniors
LOL indeed

Fail post of the week!

Must have been a slow week for you hey serc?;-)

Fair enough guys i made a typo, i must be an idiot if i accidently bump the key next to the one i was trying to press..... but im sure you guys can wrap your head around what i was asking? as nobody that seems to rate scotty as a smart player bothered to justify their thoughts. Im not necessarily saying he isnt, but in fg i havent seen anything to suggest he is smarter than the next bloke.

roopy

Referee

Fair enough guys i made a typo, i must be an idiot if i accidently bump the key next to the one i was trying to press..... but im sure you guys can wrap your head around what i was asking? as nobody that seems to rate scotty as a smart player bothered to justify their thoughts. Im not necessarily saying he isnt, but in fg i havent seen anything to suggest he is smarter than the next bloke.
In the lower grades he would often make it up as he went along, and was very good at coming up with plays. It was actually the Walsh/Dureau show - and they often did stuff that looked fantastic right off the top of their heads.

In firstgrade he had to do exactly what Smith wanted him to do, which was usually pass the ball to Mullen - and this year he does what Duneman wants him to do.

He is starting to make a few decisions, but mostly he does as he is told.

Alex28

Coach
If we are genuinely linked to two of Kimmorley, Finch and Henry, and we have re-signed Rogers, then what is the point of signing Dureau? He will be third in the pecking order at the very best - more likely fourth with Rogers/Mullen being another option.

I mean...what is even the point in signing him before we sort out who else is coming here first?

Serc

First Grade

Very slow...now that 3 of you have taken it a little too seriously, I'll just say that I'm the first one to make fun of myself when I make a silly mistake, perhaps the call wasn't quite spot on but yeah, I was taking things not so seriously.

But back to the serious discussion - Scott is a pretty smart footballer, but he is not as big/fast/athletic as Mullen or Rogers (which also means he's not as good a defender as we all know). Certainly smarter than Rogers though!

As has been said countless times on here, if you could splice together a few parts of Rogers and Dureau we'd have a pretty handy half.

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
3 years in first grade and still a speed bump.

F#ck him off now. He is a pea heart in defence. Buy a half with some ticker for god sake.

Alex28

Coach
He can't tackle. He can't run. He can't pass. He can't chip. He can't bomb. He can kick the f*** out of the ball and that seems to be it.

What exactly is the point of him scotty fan club?

Spot On

Coach
He'd be a good buy for the Coffs Comets. They need a half at the moment. Applicants need not be able to defend well either. A shoe in I'd say.

doggone

Juniors
In all honesty Scotty tries his guts out, does a few nice 40/20 during year but sorry to say in this day and age you have to be spot on in all areas to play No 7 and defense is the big thing. Look at Thurston fantasic all rounder. I am afraid Scotty will never amount to this level, Mullen also struggles but to have two struggling your never going to be in the Premiership Race. So therefore big dicisions need to be made without sentiment.

Gene Krupa

Referee
I was wrong. Dureau is below average. Worse is, he's a f**king dope. Seriously, that last kick sums him up concisely.

Alex28

Coach
And this is where I don't get why people rate Dureau over Rogers.

Rogers knows his limitations and at least tries to stick within those. He can't kick however he really doesn't try - he leaves that to Mullen and Gidley.

Dureau...just isn't capable, yet tries everything and screws most of that up. Glad he hasn't signed that contract yet. Mind you if I was his manager I'd be telling him to be there 9am Monday morning and sign immediately before they revoke it.

Apey

Staff member
Man I actually thought his attack was a better standard today than usual! :lol:

Apart from that last kick of course, lol.

I would take Kimmorley in a heartbeat. Experience and direction. Less of a speed-bump even!

Whats Doing

Bench
I was wrong. Dureau is below average. Worse is, he's a f**king dope. Seriously, that last kick sums him up concisely.

Gene. Good to see you are now the converted. There has been a few of us for 3 years (well Alex and Karma at least) saying this bloke hasn't got what it takes.

Just need the recruitment department to take off their red and blue shades and wake up and withdraw their purported offer quick smart.

Dureau is a liability and has been for 3 years.

Serc

First Grade
Nice to see the Dureau hate bandwagon working hard as always...

If you're obsessing about getting rid of him from the club, you have to get rid of Rogers as well. Hell there's even half a case for getting rid of Mullo too!

Sure he had some poor moments today, but a) we don't have a better halfback at the club at the moment and b) in the last two games, Mullo hasn't been any better than him either.

Misanthrope

Staff member
What a surprise...Roopy, Perverse and Serc all happy Scotty is being re-signed. As long as we are loyal to the locals who gives a rats arse whether we win a premiership or not.
I like how those defending the potential re-signing of Dureau are guilty of having some kind of pro local agenda.

It couldn't possibly be your rampant anti-Dureau agenda interfering with your better judgement.

Rogers knows his limitations and at least tries to stick within those. He can't kick however he really doesn't try - he leaves that to Mullen and Gidley

Kurt Gidley really shouldn't be kicking either. One of the worst field kickers I've ever seen outside of the forwards.

Last edited:

Gene Krupa

Referee
Dude, seriously. Did you watch the game? I called Dureau an average footballer and was one of his backers. After todays performance, he's a hack, and he probably always has been. I was just hoping for some improvement and stability. We should have held onto Walsh in hindsight. IMO, Rogers is the only one who does what is says on the box. The other two would have been taken back for a refund by now.

Misanthrope

Staff member
We should have held onto Walsh in hindsight.

Yes, we should have.

IMO, Rogers is the only one who does what is says on the box. The other two would have been taken back for a refund by now.

I can understand people's Dureau hate, but I'll never understand the defense of Rogers. He's every bit as sh*t as Dureau, just in a less obvious way. He's like a less reliable Sean Rudder.

If 'what it says on the box' is: Good for one game every six weeks, barely sighted for the other five - then he's been a roaring success.

Whats Doing

Bench
Serc, - What we have been saying all along is that we need to get a decent half. Dureau has been rubbish for 3 years.

For christ sake, Hodgkinson has made the city side after 7 games. Barba has scored 7 tries in as many games, Foran has only been in first grade for a little over 12 months and he is a gun and represented NZ.

The talent is out there but we don't look hard enough. We buy hacks in Rodgers and keep giving Dureau so many chances when it was clear to all he hasn't the skill level to play at the NRL level.

We take the easy option instead of putting in the hard work to recruit the right players. How many players do we recruit to the club that are from the top shelf. It is plain lazy recruiting from my perspective.

Dureau and Dodge are not being the players we need to take us towards the top of the competition and we need to start the identification and recruiting of halves now as the talent is there.