What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykes to Sharks - This week

The Colonel

Immortal
Ron Jeremy said:
We could always entice Moran back to Parrra??, or what about the Bulldogs First Division halfback?

I think Denis suits the English game rather than the Australian game. He has matured but Thorman and he played together remember. ;-)

If we could chase someone from the Dogs I'd hope it would be Cameron Phelps as opposed to Brett Oliver....

bartman

Immortal
Well I'm glad that's finally sorted out! Means the club, players and fans know exactly where they stand now for 2005. AND if this has only just been confirmed, then one can assume that Parra's previously announced signings did not come from spare Dykes money, so now we've got a bit more to spend in the halves for 2005 if that's what people are worried about?

Hurriflatch

Referee
It was Ch.10 and we know their record with these things.

Parra will also be paying a certain amount of his contract from reports I've heard

Sharks pay: $220,000
Eels pay: $80,000

So really Parra have only gained around 200K but that should still be enough to oh lets say.....................

RE-SIGN STAPO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Misty Bee

First Grade
How is that good? Parra lose our best attacker, AND PAY $80k FOR THE PRIVALIDGE???? ](*,)

Whoever blamed 2002-4 on Dykes is friggin kidding!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Misty - I disagree and I think you've been watching Dykes with rose coloured glasses if you think he's our best attacking player!

We've got rid of a cancer who runs a 'seat of the pants' attack that can look good or bad at any given time. We've also got rid of a poor kicker who takes bad options quite often.

Dykes is unpredictable - which is his strength, he manages to create plays from seemingly nothing. But he is also able to botch plays that look certain to succeed. His ability to tackle is non-existant and he doesn't make the players around him better. Think back to last season with Jamie Lyon in the best form of his career - yet Dykes kept forcing play down the other side of the field and constantly turned the ball away from Lyon. Once Dykes got cut out Lyon would find some space and look really very good!

Michael Witt probably can't create plays like Dykes right now - but he is far more consistent in so many other aspects - he can kick the ball much better! He runs the ball much better! And he can get up and tackle the opposition players!

I've been watching Dykes expectantly from the moment he joined the Eels, and I've been sorely disappointed by his good form one week which turns to woeful the next. I think I've seen just about every game that he's played since he joined us (yes - there weren't that many I know....) - and he just doesn't have what it takes!

I'm chuffed that we ONLY have to pay $80K - it's better than having him run around in PL next year on $300K - the Sharkies made a big mistake and they'll regret this!!

BTW: Heard someone call a radio station and say that they were really disappointed that Dykes was leaving Parra - the announcer asked if he was an Eels fan and he said - No, I'm a Sharks fan! They realise how bad he is!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Dykes has a better long kicking gae than Witt. He bombs better. His grubbers are better. His passing game is better. He is the only person in the club (bar, oddly, Luke Burt) who can post a 40/20.

People confuse Dykes poor form with injuries. Dykes has played about as often as Cayless has. Dykes never got a decent 5/8 either. Ask Wagon why Killer never got any ball. BTW last year Wagon, Moris and Witt had most of the games - when Dyles came back, and in form, at 5/8, Parra came alive last in the year.

Look, I don't really care that Dykes is leaving, but we haven't got a replacement. The win loss rations with and without Dykes tell the story.

We are paying Cronulla to employ our best playmaker! :x

Eels Dude

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Dykes never got a decent 5/8 either. Ask Wagon why Killer never got any ball. BTW last year Wagon, Moris and Witt had most of the games - when Dyles came back, and in form, at 5/8, Parra came alive last in the year.

Look, I don't really care that Dykes is leaving, but we haven't got a replacement. The win loss rations with and without Dykes tell the story.

We are paying Cronulla to employ our best playmaker! :x

Firstly, until this year Dykes was our 5'8th. So if Killer is blaming someone for not getting any ball than maybe Dykes is the guy he should be looking at.

Secondly, it was the halves combination of Morris and Witt which turned around our season last year, Dykes played well in a couple of games right at the end but that's about it.

Thirdly, if you want to look at win/loss ratios then compare it between the before and after of Dykes joining Parramatta.

GAME FIRST

Juniors
Our only instinctuve player in attack looks gone and our attack has been our worry for 3 years! makes sense to you?
Anyway, like Tonga and Ryan, watch him play next year and improve without Smiths strict, structured, technical and mindful fear of free play!!
Just watch him kill them next year and show Smithy that a happy, natural footy team is better to play under than a technical, regimented, structured and set way of play that inhibits natural flair and progression.

half

Coach
Eels Dude said:
Why is it you have to start a new thread every time you have something to say?
what game first has to say is more important than what the rest of us have to say

WA Eel

Juniors
The problem with unpredictable players is while they can create something from nothing, they're also bloody hard to run off! If you say compare Dykes with JT, JT was about as predictable as it gets. However, while that may make it a little easier for the defense, it also meant that his supports know exactly where he wants them to run.

I reakon there's nothing harder than running off a player when you have no idea of what he's about to do or where he wants you.

bartman

Immortal
GAME FIRST said:
Our only instinctuve player in attack looks gone and our attack has been our worry for 3 years! makes sense to you?
I think that sentence sums it up perfectly... I can definitely see a connection: our attack has been our worry for 3 years, so our "only instinctive player" during that time is now going.

It's time to try something (anything?) different, as I don't think it could be said that the Dykes experiment of 2002 has worked. Best of luck to all concerned.

bartman

Immortal
I think Dykes had plenty of time in three seasons, injuries included, to try and shape this club backline into the way he wanted, to suit his style of attack as five-eighth. He was our "marquee buy", a 5-8 of the year old enough not to have to be considered a developing talent, or in need of more experience.

He was to be Brian Smith's "main man" in attack post-JT/2001... but basically he couldn't marshall the outer backs to play to his style. His was one of the biggest falls from playing grace, injuries aside. Sure, the forwards needed to give good go forward too, but someone of Dykes' class and credentials should have still been a stand out in the games he played, even in beaten sides. He never wanted for the ball no matter who was our half-back, but couldn't really establish that attacking combination with Lyon and/or Freshie (or anyone) over the whole three years.

Dykes sure has got individual talent, he can sometimes do some things better than anyone else on the park, but overall he couldn't establish those vital combinations that made others fear our team's attacking potential. And he's certainly not a Fittler/Lockyer type that could do it all himself. He's tried at halfback this year, with no demonstrable change (but admittedly with fill-in guys at centre and covering for injuries in the pack). But if he's fit I'd still play Dykes for the rest of the year, what have we got to lose?

For next year we don't seem to have a replacement, no marquee five-eighth signing to put all of our hopes behind. But from what I saw of Morris-Witt in the halves (and their combinations with other backs) during the back end of 2003, and with the added cover of Riddell at hooker, I'm at least equally confident in our chief playmakers as I was with Dykes in the pciture at the start of this year.

It's a choice between Dykes or Riddell, in reality. And based on what I've seen since 2001 I'd choose Riddell.

Latest posts