What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dykes to Sharks - This week

Hurriflatch

Referee
Just on the whole halves issue

With the Sharks "hopefull" of announcing Dykes going to the SHarks this week and Thorman's option expiring on July 31st (10 days away).

I just get the impression that only 1 of the two will be going now which one is a total mystery.

don't let go of dykes. would be a big mistake. he is all we have in terms of quality halves. witt will get there eventually, but atm we still need dykes very much

The Colonel

Immortal
I'd rather not see Dykes go though I still have faith in Witt.

I don't take much out of the RLW ratings generally however it was interesting to note that Micky rated 7 for the Eels whereas the rest of the team rated as low as 4 with Vella and Hindy coming close at 6.

There were only three Cowboys who rated on par or higher - Tronc, O'Donnell and Jensen.

Hindy, it seems, also holds the kid in high esteem. The RLW interview with Hindy today says

Hindy said:
Whats the answer in the halves?
Witty is improving with each game. He's got to take some confidence out of the way he's been playing. And he's got to yell at us and really guide us around the park - take control of us. I think he's still in that mindsetwhewre he's playing with senior blokes and he's worried about telling us what to do. I keep telling him to just do what he does in Premier League - he leads those boys around. But it would be daunting for him. But he's learning and he's starting to take control.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it seems to me the Parra are still negotiating with some one, before waiting to see whether they relese Dykes, or need the money that would have been paid to him.

Otherwise, why would it take so long to release him

The Colonel

Immortal
Twizzle said:
it seems to me the Parra are still negotiating with some one, before waiting to see whether they relese Dykes, or need the money that would have been paid to him.

Otherwise, why would it take so long to release him

Thats how it seems - it sounds as if there are some negotiations taking place that no-one is very aware of. I'm of the opinion (ie I have no idea and am taking a wild stab)that it is a contracted player (half or 5/8) who no longer wishes to remain with the club they are at.

A straight swap for Kimmorley perhaps? :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
The problem I have wikth Dykes is intangible.

Sure, he is a great player, but it like he hasn't gelled here yet, there seems to be no chemistry with the other players....he doesn't lift the guys around him when it gets tough.

I cant see him deliver anymore next year than he has this year, last year or the previous season.....if it was going to happen it would have already.

Sure, he is a great player, I just think we may be a better 'team' without him.

Parraren

Bench
My only concern is depth in the halves, particularly in the No. 7.

If Dykes & Thorman go we only have Witt & Tim Smith as options for halfback and Tim Smith has barely played half a season of Premier League let alone First Grade.

Either one of Thorman or Dykes must be retained, or we have to get another half from within the NRL (unlikely as there really aren't any available) or from the UK.

I think we will keep Thorman (my gut feeling) and he will quite possibly be used as an interchange half/hooker off the bench next year. Remember it took Morley 2 seasons before he reached his full potential in the NRL. His first season was a major flop.

Eelementary

Post Whore
People, please wake up.

I'm as big a Witt fan as anyone else.

But the fact is, he is no comparison to Dykes.

Witt is raw and will require time; Dykes has class written all over him. Sure, his form was erratic at stages, but that was as much the team's fault as it was his.

If we only are left with Witt, Thorman and Smith for the next few years, I doubt we'll go very far.

William Hung

Juniors
You don't necessarily need a half who can control the attack. You just need somebody who can. Mark Riddell will do alot of it when he's on the field.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I agree.

With a strong forward pack able to make metres and make lots of dominant tackles and not be dominated, our halves will look better.

And how's this for a stellar starter pack?

8. Cayless
9. Riddell
10. Stringer
11. Hindmarsh
12. Morrison
13. Wagon

yy_cheng

Coach
My thoughts are Thorman won't stay otherwise he would've got much more game time than he has recently.

I agree with well Hung Willy that it is not necessary the halfback that controls the 1st 3-4 tackles. A good hooker can too but another thing I noticed in the cowboys game was that our forwards were getting the ball from dummy half about a metre to 2 metres behind the ruck. So they had major problems trying to get over the advantage line as the cowboys defence would rush in and hit them at the advantage line.

The runups aren't very well timed at all. I don't even think Riddell could help if the forwards are not timing themselves for a hitup. Tiredness maybe???? They did this in previous seasons as well.

Well, without Thorman or Dykes next year. We could potentially be forced to see Smith or Mateo play.

Any halfback from England available??

Freak

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
The worst news since I don't know when. We are losing our best attacker, and will be driven around by 2 sub par halfbacks YET AGAIN!

Cronulla will kill it next year.

I can't believe people who bag Dykes and praise Witt. Witt has half the kicking game of Dykes. Witt can't read a game. Dykes can. Dykes has a long pass. Witt hasn't.

Some of your best work Misty............NOT!! :evil:

Do we really wish to persist with one of the most over rated players in the game when it is obvious to blind freddy he would prefer to be playing back at cronulla.

Dykes 2002 - 2004 RIP!

Anyone notice anything common denominater about those years??? :roll:

BTW: Maybe you should ask Hegarty about Witty's kicking game!!!

True EEL

Bench
Witt does control the game early on....as evidenced by good starts which began with him against the Poosters and Cowboys

he does however, fall away in the second half in terms of his leadership and direction, which comes through 1) lack of experience, 2) youth 3) getting confused about who is allowed to run the team, such as him, Morris, Wagon (?) or someone else?????

how does he improve???? let him play and run the game.....he WILL improve and he should be good next year given the opportunity

True EEL

Bench
I say let Dykes go

it might take that, combined with the fact that he will probably find some good form again next year playing for Cronulla and with Kimmorley when he won't be controlled by a nazi - classroom regime that he is under at Parra

one thing about Dykes is that he is an instinctive player.....as evidenced by his occasional flashes of brilliance in his time at the eels

but BS doesn't like instinctive play, he wants structure and HIS structure or the highway......

Jason Smith made a clever concealed statement in an article in one of the Sunday papers......comparing Shaun McRae to Chris Anderson and somebody else rather than Brian Smith......because "he doesn't have to play such a structured style as Brian loves to".........

wonder what that mean't........My way or the Highway!!!!!!!!!!!!!