What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dylan Brown

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Can he keep his hands to himself now? Didn't he do the touchy touchy with a woman at a bar without her consent? Don't think he suits our no dickheads policy? I liked him up until that moment tbh.

Given we've had Lodge, AFB, Walker, Curran, Walsh and now possibly Brown through the club in recent years (that list's not based on my personal judgements, just blokes who have been through the Courts or caught out committing crimes) I'd say we're miles from having ever had a no dickheads policy.

Even if you're just talking about who we've signed since Webster came along, Walker would have to be one of the most high-risk blokes you could sign. If you extend it to on-field stuff, Barnett is/was widely regarded as one of the biggest hotheads around too.

If anything we've been more of a "bad blokes come here and hopefully behave themselves" club.

Even if you're just talking about who we've signed since Webster came along, Walker would have to be one of the most high-risk blokes you could sign. If you extend it to on-field stuff, Barnett is/was widely regarded as one of the biggest hotheads around too.
Yes I was more talking about the Webby Era. I definitely wouldn't put Walker in the dickhead list. He's a sledger and competitor, not a creepy touchy guy who helps himself to touching breasts in public. Big difference.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Yes I was more talking about the Webby Era. I definitely wouldn't put Walker in the dickhead list. He's a sledger and competitor, not a creepy touchy guy who helps himself to touching breasts in public. Big difference.
Walker has a pretty average past involving violence off the park more than once, got a bit lucky when his Mrs withdrew some charges against him after interrupting his PlayStation time

Walker has a pretty average past involving violence off the park more than once, got a bit lucky when his Mrs withdrew some charges against him after interrupting his PlayStation time
He's doing good now and seems to have settled in. Maybe growing up and getting out of Sydney is what he needed.
Brown could be the same too. He's a good team player and man it seems he gone past that rubbish from his old days.

What's your thought on him as a player/man today?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah it didn't happen too long ago. Still fresh to me. I was disappointed in his behavior as we all should. If he did that to anyone I know he'd be nursing some non-footy related injuries. I was defending him on the field before that news broke out. I really do hope it was a one off as he can be a good player when in the zone.
I always allow young people a mistake or two, especially when they're dealing with the life that a footballer leads with money, fame, spare time etc. But not when they don't learn their lessons - ie Kevin Locke, Todd Carney, Matt Lodge etc.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
He's doing good now and seems to have settled in. Maybe growing up and getting out of Sydney is what he needed.
Brown could be the same too. He's a good team player and man it seems he gone past that rubbish from his old days.

What's your thought on him as a player/man today?
Was actually thinking the other day that he seems to have turned himself around. As you say maybe getting older has helped, the drugs overdose and breaking his hand punching a wall etc are young mistakes, the last couple were a bit more serious but he seems pretty clean now

From what I heard in his final year with us among the players he was one of the most popular guys in the group. Has always amused me that Hasler saw his days as a centre were done so moved him into the middle of the park, he wasn’t a big fan of that which was part of him moving on along with salary cap stuff, and he has played the same role with the Warriors. I could always see a bit of natural talent as a 6 when Barrett was playing him there

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Given we've had Lodge, AFB, Walker, Curran, Walsh and now possibly Brown through the club in recent years (that list's not based on my personal judgements, just blokes who have been through the Courts or caught out committing crimes) I'd say we're miles from having ever had a no dickheads policy.

If anything we've been more of a "bad blokes come here and hopefully behave themselves" club.
Curran, to be fair, didn't have a rap sheet before us, did he?

Which club does have a no d heads policy? I'd think in league that'd be a pretty hard task.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Which club does have a no d heads policy? I'd think in league that'd be a pretty hard task.
I do recall someone saying a previously club was cool with letting him go because his off field conduct wasn’t exemplary. But nothing illegal afaik.

JJ

Immortal

I think in any male team sport it'd be pretty difficult - but expectations can be set, and enforced - we've seen Webster do that (along with some other coaches at various clubs in various sports), and others not... players that don't buy in can f**k off tbh

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think in any male team sport it'd be pretty difficult - but expectations can be set, and enforced - we've seen Webster do that (along with some other coaches at various clubs in various sports), and others not... players that don't buy in can f**k off tbh
Yeah, I think it's incredibly important at our club. How many dickheads can we point to from 2012-22? (note I don't expect anyone to list them all, that would take until next week)

Our culture sucked a) because we had sub-par coaches and front office staff but that led to b) keeping f**kwits around, signing f**kwits and guys over the hill/overpaid in desperation because we couldn't attract high-quality people here.

We bought AFB in that time when we desperately needed props, and had to take a dip on a known dickhead. And wahey, look how it's ended. I wouldn't like to see us ever go down that path again.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, I think it's incredibly important at our club. How many dickheads can we point to from 2012-22? (note I don't expect anyone to list them all, that would take until next week)

Our culture sucked a) because we had sub-par coaches and front office staff but that led to b) keeping f**kwits around, signing f**kwits and guys over the hill/overpaid in desperation because we couldn't attract high-quality people here.

We bought AFB in that time when we desperately needed props, and had to take a dip on a known dickhead. And wahey, look how it's ended. I wouldn't like to see us ever go down that path again.
We’ve always had more than our share largely because of the one town team thing and our isolation from the rest of the comp. The bulk of our homegrown players come from the Auckland league scene and still get to associate with their old mates from the hood, and making the warriors pretty much puts them at the top of the pile in that social grouping. So they’ll often still have a lot of hangers-on with bad habits around them.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

He was found not guilty of domestic assault in 2019 and then pleaded guilty to assault in 2021. As I said, I’m not talking about my personal judgements, I’m just listing guys who have literally committed or at least were charged with crimes.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Honestly I’ve personally found it relatively easy to avoid criminal charges in life (particularly for violence) so while I don’t condemn those who have them, the idea that ‘well all young fellas get a few assault and drink driving convictions’ is kinda crazy to me. Certainly seems to be lot more prevalent in the NRL than amongst non-NRL people I know anyway.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Honestly I’ve personally found it relatively easy to avoid criminal charges in life (particularly for violence) so while I don’t condemn those who have them, the idea that ‘well all young fellas get a few assault and drink driving convictions’ is kinda crazy to me. Certainly seems to be lot more prevalent in the NRL than amongst non-NRL people I know anyway.
Yeah, there's a lot of reasons for that, which come with the money, fame, testosterone, hangers-on, access to a whole lot of things that aren't available to you.

And I wouldn't say they're more prevalent, anyway. You don't hear if John Doe gets a DIC, unless he's your mate. I know when I was young, myself and mates (and I am ashamed of this) could've been done for drink driving a bunch. I'm not in an aggressive group of mates (cricketers, obviously) but league players probably are more-so.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah, there's a lot of reasons for that, which come with the money, fame, testosterone, hangers-on, access to a whole lot of things that aren't available to you.

And I wouldn't say they're more prevalent, anyway. You don't hear if John Doe gets a DIC, unless he's your mate. I know when I was young, myself and mates (and I t ashamed of this) could've been done for drink driving a bunch. I'm not in an aggressive group of mates (cricketers, obviously) but league players probably are more-so.

With the amount of drink driving I see going on and how rare it is to get pulled over by the cops/how few breathalyser stops there are, you’d almost have to be driving around drunk all day every day to be repeatedly DIC’d the way some people are.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think there'd still be a place for Brown. He's a proven NRL talent, a Kiwis player, a five-eighth, TMM has shown the ability in the 7, and I don't think you can build a case to rely on Metcalf's fitness...plus we've seen 3 strong games from TMM. It's a small sample size.

Metcalf is 25, debuted in August 21, yet has only played 23 NRL games. Would be placing a lot of faith in CHT as a back-up if you're not going to sign Brown because of Te Maire's form. If Metcalf can't get back to full fitness and bearing in mind he's never played anything resembling a full NRL season, you're looking at TMM/CHT if this is SJ's last season.

Incidentally, I think we should now only use acronyms for all Warriors players. No names allowed.