What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EA Sports.

clarency

Juniors
Sidhe didn't do a great job on RL3. It is the first rugby league game I've played and when I game them a feedback reply on things that needed changing (IMO) it ended up as a 3,000 word essay. It's on the forum actually.

That said there's nothing stopping the NRL from throwing cash at a company (EA, 2K) to make them a game that is of decent quality. It all comes down to the finances.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Would be happy with a decent Rugby League manager game.

i can just see it now..

you have a tip off that one of your clients will give away a penalty, right in front of the posts. what do you do?

a. contact your other clients and telll them to bet up big
b. advise him that he shouldn't do it
c. bet against him and pay off the other team to take the tap

perverse

Referee
Rugby League Manager 2010 for the PC is actually a very robust management game, and it's free. the learning curve is insanely steep, with next to no instructions on how to tame the beast - and it's pretty bloody ugly... however if you search the forums, i and others have posted primers on how to get your team off to a good start, keep your job, etc. i'm heavily addicted to it... and have won the past 4 or 5 premierships... and my boom juniors are now out there winning Dally M's and whatnot. it's awesome.

http://www.rugbyleaguemanager.co.uk/Games.php

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=357019&page=8

^^ some tips from me on the game.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
It will never happen until Rugby League becomes a viable international product that can be marketed to more than just a tiny percentage of the world's population. Aside from possibly the international and State of Origin matches, how often would you say that Rugby League attracts a consistently large audience?
EA won't touch it because it isn't marketable enough to receive the same treatment as FIFA or NHL.

applesauce

Bench
It will never happen until Rugby League becomes a viable international product that can be marketed to more than just a tiny percentage of the world's population. Aside from possibly the international and State of Origin matches, how often would you say that Rugby League attracts a consistently large audience?
EA won't touch it because it isn't marketable enough to receive the same treatment as FIFA or NHL.

EA are making a RU game this year. Surely the only difference would be the rucks/play the balls/lineouts/seriousness of the scums and the stadia.

How hard is it to make new jerseys, faces etc. The gameplay could be almost identical in terms of big engine coding.

shiznit

Coach
EA are making a RU game this year. Surely the only difference would be the rucks/play the balls/lineouts/seriousness of the scums and the stadia.

How hard is it to make new jerseys, faces etc. The gameplay could be almost identical in terms of big engine coding.
EA arent making any Rugby games this year.

HES & Sidhe are making rugby challenge... http://rugbychallengegame.com/

505 & HB Studios are making Rugby World Cup 2011... http://www.rwc2011game.com/

dogslife

Coach
arl 96 was great wish i still had it. Sent a shiver down my spine every time Rabs exclaimed BILLY MOORE!!

I would love EA Sports, 2K Sports or any other company that is better than Big Ant or Tru Blu produce a quality rugby league game. I mean, those companies have loads of spare money to buy the rights to make a rugby league game. Rugby League Live wasn't that good. The graphics were poor for a PS3 or Xbox 360 game and the crowd didn't look realistic at all. It was a massive letdown since it had no Toyota Cup, Franchise Mode and it had a poor Create a Player mode. Here's what i want in a new rugby league game.

* Way better graphics.
* Harder goal kicking like on Rugby 08 (I'm not saying that Rugby 08's goal kicking is hard.).
* When custimizing teams or creating teams, there should be a kit creator so you can create the jersey, shorts and socks.
* Referees and linesman on the field.
* When you create or custimize a player you should be able to either custimize their goal kicking technique or choose to do it automatically. Example: 5 steps backs, 3 steps to the side, run in on an angle.
* Toyota Cup.
* On the kick-off the kickers always toe punt the ball so they should kick it on the side and the ball should be bending back on the tee.
* Instead of the yellow tee you should be able to select from a number of tees.
* Way better options in Create a Player mode (Hair, tattoos, height, weight, build, etc.).
* Franchise Mode.

That's all i can think of now, but wouldn't it be lovely to have a rugby league game that gets positive reviews? It would be swell.

RPG elements in a RL would be good, create a player and take him on his journey to the top, be a loyal club man or a merc. Get called over to the ref for a high shot have multiple choice things to say, turn your dude into a grub if you want or just name him ennis.

nba2k10 ish with more options i my player career

Pierced Soul

First Grade
arl 96 was great wish i still had it. !

whilst it had its flaws i think this was the ebst elague game made. certain players could just bust through and score from 20m taps all the time (i.e. mathew johns) but i liekd the angle they used.

rugby league 3 on the wii was pretty good but needed to be a multi platform release. the biggest issue i cna see from the most recent league series is that despite feedback players give the companies they still get the basic mechanics wrong be it the running or passing or kicking.

i personally dont care about playing 15 years in franchise mode or editing a players moustache, i want a game which plays like league has mechanics which seems somwhat reasonable and a decent AI. having a fullback standing on the deadball line when the oppostion is 5m out is not realistic, nor is the fact when the comp makes a break there's no cover defence of anysort and it ends up being 13 opposition players versus your fullback

rugby league live sucked as did the rugby league challenge on the psp. I've bought every league game thats been released but returned a few because despite my best efforts they've just been tripe

costa_9_2

Juniors
ea want make one now they want make enough money off the game only Australian and English people will buy the game it want popular

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
The best league game is a union game lol, Jonah lomu rugby. We used to play league rules, attacking team gets five tackles, suprisingky the game worked fine, although this game got everything right.. Hell even putting up bombs was ad easy were the players actually jumping for the ball. It tool sidhe a few games to achieve this aspect and even then the game sucked

hellteam

First Grade
EA Sports Rugby 2008 was actually a really good game. Players moved very well, passing tackling etc was awesome. Very easy, but they had the basics there, would be nice if they could have built on that game (for league and union) but it wasn't to be

ARL on the mega drive is really decent
but i think the the direction of ruby league live is the way to go,it was a great game imo
all it needs is
1.Franchise mode cmon its 2011 it should of been in the last one
2.Larger roster and includes state cup and u20s just like RL 3 did on the wii

add these 2 and the game would be perfect

hellteam

First Grade
Rugby League Live is unplayable I reckon, so bad. All of those games from those guys are

RHCP

Bench
Fun to play against mates for shit and giggles though. I was held up over the line on third tackle, under the posts, somehow the game ruled it as in touch haha.

HowHigh

Coach
Rugby League 3 is playable and enjoyable... it's a shame it is on the Wii and the Wii alone. it's not EA quality, but it hasn't had countless millions poured into its' ongoing development, either.

the fact is, if people don't buy the Rugby League games that are currently released, which it seems they don't, then no company is ever going to do a good job of it in the future. i've read of people boycotting these games and whatnot because of their poor quality. well, simply put, you are killing any chance you ever had of getting a good one made. personally, i support Sidhe and the work they've done on the franchise over the past few years, both financially by purchasing the League games they've made... and vocally in support of them on this forum and other mediums. without that support, then there won't be more League games, period... not just from EA, but from anyone.
Fair points, but I'm still not wasting money on poorly made games in the hope that EA will notice there is potential in the market for them to make a RL game.

I'd love to see EA make an NRL game, just don't think it'll ever happen.

Latest posts