What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EA Sports.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I don't think it would cost them all that much in the long run, considering if they made the first one right, they could release an annual game that is basically roster update and graphical tweaks.

Considering madden seems to be immortal, and most who bought madden buy the new ones as well, i think a league game would work well.

Or on the main menu have a choice between union and league, where the engines would be pretty much the same, just need a reskin on the players and rulechanges and whatnot.

Then they are selling to both the union crowd and the league crowd, and once the basic game is out of the way, they just need to tweak every year. A solid year in development, then a month or two a year for expansions, i think they would do pretty well. Especially if they use a modified madden engine.

I realise i am talking out of my arse here, but several years of profit seems worth the outlay to me. We can only cross our fingers huh?

boxhead

First Grade
I don't think it would cost them all that much in the long run, considering if they made the first one right, they could release an annual game that is basically roster update and graphical tweaks.

Considering madden seems to be immortal, and most who bought madden buy the new ones as well, i think a league game would work well.

Or on the main menu have a choice between union and league, where the engines would be pretty much the same, just need a reskin on the players and rulechanges and whatnot.

Then they are selling to both the union crowd and the league crowd, and once the basic game is out of the way, they just need to tweak every year. A solid year in development, then a month or two a year for expansions, i think they would do pretty well. Especially if they use a modified madden engine.

I realise i am talking out of my arse here, but several years of profit seems worth the outlay to me. We can only cross our fingers huh?

Mate, I don't think you really understand what you are suggesting. The reason sports games like Madden, NBA2K and FIFA get yearly updates, and in fact are even made is because they have huge, huge markets internationally. Making video-games is extremely expensive, to make a quality one especially, and I think every major overseas company has two main reasons to not go anywhere near Rugby League;

1. The market is tiny compared to the markets of football, the NFL, the NBA and so on. And then there are all the demographic factors that come into play; would these people even play video games, would these people play these games casually or take a full interest in them, and so on.

2. The cost of the game, to put it simply, and in the sense if they make a high-cost game targeted at the quality some of us are demanding, would never result in a profit for the big companies.

Unfortunately, despite how much we love Rugby League, it is nowhere near as marketable or as popular to demand quality video-game franchises. Maybe in the future but not now.

Paullyboy

Coach
I would probably pay $400 for a league game as good as Fifa

The stupid thing is, I reckon I would too.

But I refuse to buy a rubbish game (unless it's only $10 or $15) just to give the developers hope that if they keep trying, I'll keep buying. I appreciate they need a bigger budget to make a better game, but it's almost a chicken and the egg scenario. You've got to spend money to make money, and unless they are willing to take a punt and spend the amount of money required to make a good league game, then they will continue to make a dud product which will not sell as highly as it potentially could.

Paullyboy

Coach
I'll agree with that.

It was so arcadey, yet that's what made it work I guess. I'd love to play that exact same game again, just update graphically (but not to the point where it impacted the fluency of the game) and with a dynasty/franchise mode.

Latest posts