What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early Ladder Predictions 2007

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
2nd best player is laughable. I can think of 10 that are better than him easily!

You better make it 9, given that you can't claim Woewoeful anymore since he hasn't played for over a year. :roll:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hall
Judd
Cousins
Kerr
West
Tredrea
Lloyd
Buckley
Kirk
Brad Johnson

That is 10 and they are all better than Jono "I'll play for 6 weeks a year" Brown!

CyberKev

Staff member
Your welcome to your view and there's some good players there, but my response would be...

lockyno1 said:
Hall (close, but no cigar)
Judd (4th best player at West Coast, but not top ten overall)
Cousins (3rd best player at West Coast, but not top five overall)
Kerr (2nd best player at West Coast, but not top five overall)
West (quality, but not top five overall)
Tredrea (top notch, but past his best and not top five overall)
Lloyd (oh dear, not even top twenty overall)
Buckley (Top player, but past his best and no longer top five overall)
Kirk (Not even close)
Brad Johnson (good, but behind Brown for sure)

That is 10 and they are all better than Jono "I'll play for 6 weeks a year" Brown!

lockyno1

Post Whore
They are all better than Brown IMO. Brown is way too inconsistent. I'd take Hall in a heartbeat over Brown thats for sure, among others. I'd have all of those midfielders I named as well befre Brown!

meltiger

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Hall
Judd
Cousins
Kerr
West
Tredrea
Lloyd
Buckley
Kirk
Brad Johnson

WTF?! Seriously. Get off the drugs.

Maybe it was his comeback game against Essendon a few years ago where after missing half the season comes out and pounds 9 goals through before 3/4 in his comeback game that annoys you about him?

Out and out champion.

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
WTF?! Seriously. Get off the drugs.

Maybe it was his comeback game against Essendon a few years ago where after missing half the season comes out and pounds 9 goals through before 3/4 in his comeback game that annoys you about him?

Out and out champion.

Wrong, and I mean completely wrong. What annoys me is that is is vastly ovverated for someone who is lucky to play 1/2 a season. Exactly the same way as Hird to be honest, except Hird has a brownlow.

meltiger

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Wrong, and I mean completely wrong. What annoys me is that is is vastly ovverated for someone who is lucky to play 1/2 a season. Exactly the same way as Hird to be honest, except Hird has a brownlow.

A Brownlow ... PFFT Judd has one of them :crazy: and plenty of other nuffies over history have won them too.

How many premierships has Hird led the Scummers too in comparison to Brown?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hird led the Bombers to 1 premiership and played in one. Last time I checked Brown was not captain of a premiership side!

Plus Judd was easily the best player that year he won the Brownlow. He is a dead set freak!

meltiger

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Hird led the Bombers to 1 premiership and played in one. Last time I checked Brown was not captain of a premiership side!

Who cares if he was captain or not? Apart from some very notable exceptions (Including 2 in the last 2 years since they changed the rules), the vast majority of premiership sides over the last 30 years have contained a champion, hard at it CHF

lockyno1 said:
He is a dead set freak!

No. He just runs fast.

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
Who cares if he was captain or not? Apart from some very notable exceptions (Including 2 in the last 2 years since they changed the rules), the vast majority of premiership sides over the last 30 years have contained a champion, hard at it CHF

No. He just runs fast.

You said did he lead the side? I told you no he did not lead the side. Michael Voss did. CHF's help, but don't win premierships alone.

Judd does more than run, he is a natural leader and has a good habbit of kicking important goals!

meltiger

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
You said did he lead the side? I told you no he did not lead the side. Michael Voss did. CHF's help, but don't win premierships alone.

Judd does more than run, he is a natural leader and has a good habbit of kicking important goals!

Clearly, even though I have clarified you still don't understand by what I mean when I say lead.

Were Hawthorn to win this years premiership, would you lay all the credit at Vandenerg's feet for the premiership if say Roughead, Dowler, Franklin, Lewis and co were all better and more important players throughout the season? Hell no.

If Brisbane had of lost Voss to a season ending injury, they could have replaced him.

Is it any real suprise that since Brown started getting injured ... Brisbane have plummetted to the depths of the ladder? No.

lockyno1

Post Whore
meltiger said:
Is it any real suprise that since Brown started getting injured ... Brisbane have plummetted to the depths of the ladder? No.

Wasn't just Brown's injury! Lappin was injured as well and he is probally their most cruicial midfielder!

aqua_duck

Coach
On his day Brown is the most dangerous player in the AFL, personally I'm a fan, he plays with his heart on his sleeve, and he's the closest thing we've hda to 'the next wayne carey'

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
Plus Judd was easily the best player that year he won the Brownlow. He is a dead set freak!

More nonsense Judd propaganda.

Prior to that count it was widely viewed that Riewoldt and Tredrea would go head to head for the medal as both had been well ahead of the pack on performances across the season.

Unfortunately for both those players, being better footballers having better seasons could never be enough, as they didn't look as good running with the football as Judd does, hence the soft votes rolled-in for Juddy and another great injustice perpetrated!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:

More Judd propaganda...

1) There's no solid evidence that Judd is anything special in the leadership stakes.

2) As I've said often (mainly to Carlton tragics wanting to up Kernahan's reputation as a footballer on account of the dubious view that he was an alltime great captain) captaincy is largely a moot point at strong football clubs. A strong club will, by definition, contain numerous players with strong leadership qualities, as being proactive and setting the example is what (in most cases) makes a good player a great one.

3) Judd averages a goal a game (which is quite solid for a midfielder), but the only thing stopping a lot of other midfielders from doing likewise is the gameplan adopted by their club. West Coast have been unconventional for sometime with their preference to push midfielders hard forward of the centre to extract more goals from them to compensate for a weak and underperforming forward structure. This gameplan has always worked better on the open expanses of Subiaco than anywhere else and it was hardly surprising that their GF breakthrough last year came on the back of a revised approach where their attack was generated through conventional forward means.

lockyno1

Post Whore
CyberKev said:
More nonsense Judd propaganda.

Prior to that count it was widely viewed that Riewoldt and Tredrea would go head to head for the medal as both had been well ahead of the pack on performances across the season.

Unfortunately for both those players, being better footballers having better seasons could never be enough, as they didn't look as good running with the football as Judd does, hence the soft votes rolled-in for Juddy and another great injustice perpetrated!

You just don't like Juddy do you. He was clearly the best player. Riewoldt was good but not as good as Judd that year and the votes showed it!

CyberKev

Staff member
lockyno1 said:
You just don't like Juddy do you. He was clearly the best player. Riewoldt was good but not as good as Judd that year and the votes showed it!

The votes showed nothing more than what we have known for some time now - umpires are more likely to notice midfielders because they are physically proximite to them for large portions of a game.

Riewoldt averaged 12 marks a game and kicked more than 70 goals that year, which is positively Careyesque.

Only Tredrea came close to him for impact that season and Judd was well back in the pack.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Judd was well in front of the pack! Plus he is a really nice bloke as I was lucky to meet him in January, seems really down to earth and doesn't brag about himself. Top bloke and a top player!

Latest posts