1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by Vee, Mar 6, 2020.

1. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

BTW, the Firebirds have a reasonable case in my opinion.

They would be competitors in the same sports market and the brands are very similar.

2. davi

davi Juniors

You make some good points. I still feel though sometimes if the name is simpler, the better, as it's easier for marketing. Tasmania had the option of choosing the Tridents and those chose the Jackjumpers instead.

3. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

thsi is an Interesting quote from that article!
    “Torpy said the Firehawks were ready and committed to submit their “exciting” proposal when called upon by the NRL.”

Vlandys said in his interview:
    ““From what I’ve seen and the presentations that have been given to me, they are well advanced. If I said 2022 they’d be ready.”

So which is it? Has he called for bids and knows how strong they are or is he just BS? Sounds like Firehawks haven’t given him anything yet.

4. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

If they chose Tridents there’d be a bunch of people saying ‘shit name, what have tridents got to do with Tassie anyway’. So it doesn’t matter what they pick, somebody’s going to bag it.

They shouldn’t worry about the naysayers and just pick something that makes commercial sense, which Jack Jumpers does.

5. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Bench

Easts have subdistrict clubs in Springwood and Rochedale South/Priestdale, which are in Logan's north with 2 more to be added in the south at Flagstone and Yarrabilba. I cannot see Ipswich getting behind the Firehawks.

If they have to give up the Firehawks name then just call them the Raptors.

Brisbane Raptors 01.png

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    jim_57, Pippen94 and flippikat like this.
  6. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

Easts whatevers are my preferred bid. They have a presence on the south side of the river which is the more populated half of Brisbane. They will have to play at Suncorp and if Langlands Park gets an upgrade, at least Greenslopes is way more accessible and appealing to travel to than Redcliffe for most people.

7. gUt

gUt Coach

Brisbane Easts = Breasts I'm afraid

8. flippikat

flippikat Juniors

Good call. We could do with another bird logo/nickname alongside the Sea-Eagles & Roosters. I'm already liking it more than Firehawks.

9. MugaB

MugaB Bench

I have a picture of their logo, its just not letting me upload it for some reason..
    Anyways the main colors are pink and brown

Get Rid of The Donkeys and gUt like this.
  10. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Coach

Sticking with a bird theme...Brisbane Tits.

11. Pippen94

Pippen94 Juniors

We have Wanderers here who brought together Parramatta, Penrith & Liverpool. Disparate places quite far apart but all identify with the west of Sydney. If you throw in inner suburbs like Leichhardt into that you lose that dynamic.

12. Pippen94

Pippen94 Juniors

You - by supporting easts.

BTW, I don't think Easts is a bad bid like Bombers. I think a new entity representing greater south with stadium there (Springfield?) would be better. I think Jets would be better

13. Get Rid of The Donkeys

Get Rid of The Donkeys Bench

Jackjumpers is a shit name.

Who wants to support a team named after a bloody insect?

Tasmania Two Heads, sponsored by Tooheys, would have made more sense.

Make the logo a drunk with the heads of these Tasmanian celebrities attached.

R480376f50c23c95a48cfa29fd61985e8.jpeg Re8264933fac22213deb3a8c5fcf49260.jpeg

They'd produce good ratings for Ch9, increasing the worth of the broadcast deal. I'd rather watch them on a Friday night over the bloody Broncos.

Clive Palmer with his shirt off?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  14. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

The Great Dane likes this.
  15. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Bench

Well that's just an asinine straw-man.

16. Desert Qlder

Desert Qlder First Grade

Brisbane Tigers to redevelop Langlands Park:

TIGERS TO REDEVELOPMENT TOTALLY WORKWEAR STADIUM, LANGLANDS PARK

The Suzuki Brisbane Tigers will redevelop Totally Workwear Stadium, Langlands Park into a Community Sports Centre.

The redevelopment , which has been in the planning stage for the past number of years, will see the Tigers current facilities transformed into a modern sports centre, commencing in 2021.

The redevelopment will include:

• The relocation and refurbishment of the heritage listed grandstand and players pavilion;
    • bars and corporate boxes;
    • 50 person lecture theatre;
    • complete high performance strength and conditioning facility,
    • match day and player catering facilities;
    • four new female compliant player change rooms;
    • medical treatment;
    • female compliant official’s change rooms;
    • administration offices, board room and meeting rooms;
    • coaches and media boxes;
    • new spectator seating;
    • additional parking;
    • entry statement and new fencing.

The redevelopment will complement the recently redevelopment Langland Memorial Pool, which was completed at the end of 2019, creating a sporting and sports medicine hub, minutes from the CBD.

The Tigers CEO Brian Torpy said, the redevelopment of the facilities will result in a first-class community sports centre here at Stones Corner.

The centre will see Totally Workwear Stadium transformed into a modern boutique rectangular stadium, with a 4,000 person capacity.

The centre will provide participants and officials with excellent playing and training venue, only 4 kilometres from Brisbane CBD, Torpy added.

Langlands Park is easily accessible via the Langlands Park bus station and is a short walk from the Buranda and Coorparoo railways stations.

Whilst the centre has been designed to host community, state and national level matches, the design is flexible enough to be converted into the Tigers NRL bid team training centre.

Langlands Park has always been a community hub and has been utilised by community organisations for many years.

The centre will be funded by contributions from the Easts Leagues Club and the Queensland State Government.

The redevelopment will commence in 2021 and is expected to be completed by June 2022.

[​IMG]

17. Pippen94

Pippen94 Juniors

No, it's based on your comment which you choose not to own

18. Pippen94

Pippen94 Juniors

Shame can't increase stadium to 15k. Definite need for smaller stadium to counter Suncorp

19. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

if you think a second brisbane club is going to be drawing crowds of 10k-15k then should that really be the games priority? There should be min 25k capacity for all nrl stadiums Imo.

20. Pippen94

Pippen94 Juniors

I'm thinking soccer, rugby, women's etc.
    No other rectangular stadium near cbd other than suncorp