What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts Tigers Enter Expansion Race

Fangs

Coach
Lets cut the crap.

The Snakes. The Brisbane Snakes.

Plenty of snakes around Brisbane. And the rainbow serpent. Its unbelievably perfect.

That's the name. Why hasn't it been used already? Who knows. But I've worked it out all before bedtime. Goes to show you don't need big marketing teams. You just need simple, yet great ideas.

davi

Juniors
It been reported that Shane Richardson is working on Easts bid. It certainly can't hurt having someone such as Richardson capability on your side. Although Richardson did receive some flack from his departure with Souths you can't deny he has alot experience in Rugby league administration. I still wonder how strong Easts chances are considering there bid was later to the party then other bids.

They have dropped the proposal of the Tigers name though and replaced it with the FireHawks which is one positive. Proposing the name the Tigers is ridiculous. The 7 million upgrade at Langlands Park is good for a training facility but only for that. I'm not sure you could make a profit or break even playing there. But then again Souths play at Redfern Oval so starting out I suppose you maybe play a couple of games there.

The problem with Suncorp stadium is very costly to play there. I've read years ago that for the Broncos to break even they have to attract 30 000 to the venue. Its the reason Brisbane Raw have decided to relocate to Redcliffe Dolphins stadium because Suncorp is too costly. I've even been told by my brother that in Canada the government gets their sporting teams to play at their stadiums for a pittance to make use of the venues. While in Australia its the opposite where they charge an arm and a leg.

Brisbane Tigers to revamp historic Langlands Park in preparation for NRL expansion bid

A massive $7 million redevelopment to revamp one of Brisbane’s historic community sporting grounds transformed into a 4000-seat boutique stadium and high performance centre, is set to provide a major boost to one of the group’s bidding to be the city’s NRL expansion team.

The race to be Brisbane’s second NRL team is heating up after ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys said it was realistic for the expansion to happen in time for the 2023 season.

The league is expected to make a decision slated to be made by June this year with the race between the Brisbane Bombers, the Brisbane Firehawks, the Redcliffe Dolphins and a team in the western corridor.

And while the Firehawks – a bid from Intrust Super Cup club, the Brisbane Tigers – released its colours and logo last year and revelations former Souths Sydney boss Shane Richardson might be involved in the bid, the group has another ace up their sleave.

Tigers CEO Brian Torpy said he believed a project to rejuvenate Langlands Park, where football has been played for more than 70 years, was a huge asset for their bid.

Funded by the Easts Leagues Club and the Queensland Government, the project is set to be complete by 2022 and will see the venue transformed into a modern sports centre, which will include a high performance strength and conditioning facility, a 50-person lecture theatre, administration offices, board room and meeting rooms, coaches and media boxes and more.

“The redevelopment will complement the recently redevelopment Langland Memorial Pool, which was completed at the end of 2019, creating a sporting and sports medicine hub,” Torpy said.

“The centre will see the Totally Workwear Stadium transformed into a modern boutique rectangular stadium, with a 4000 person capacity here at Stones Corner.

“The centre will provide participants and officials with excellent playing and training venue, only 4km from the Brisbane CBD.

“While the centre is primarily designed to host community, state and national level matches, it is flexible enough to be converted into the Firehawks’ NRL team HQ.”

Torpy said the Firehawks were ready and committed to submit their “exciting” proposal when called upon by the NRL.

He also said they received positive feedback from rugby league fans on the choice of their unique name, colours and logo.

“The response has been very positive. While Firehawks have been spoken about by our First Nation People for many, many years; others have now seen and record what these raptor birds do,” he said.

“It is fascinating to watch. The name is very unique and very Australian.

“The blue, orange and black colour scheme is very striking and the tricolours provides the flexibility of playing in either a predominantly blue, orange or black playing strip.”

Torpy also believed they could generate the support necessary to have a successful NRL team in Brisbane that can rival the Broncos.

“We will have the support needed to be the expansion team because while we will attract fans from outside the Greater Brisbane area,” he said.

“The population of Brisbane has increased significantly and continues to grow. Also, we are based relatively close to Logan and Ipswich.

“We will not sit back and wait in hope for the support from these high population growth areas, and other parts of Australia, but will do want we can to earn and keep that support.

“Secondly, we plan to play all but a few of our home games at Queensland’s premier rugby league stadium, Suncorp Stadium.

“Thirdly, we are financial. We have a very successful leagues club with a large membership base and a very strong balance sheet.

“In addition, and just as important, the Firehawks has a very good business model.”

How Langlands Park $7m upgrade gives Brisbane Firehawks edge for NRL bid | The Courier Mail

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
I cannot understand why a new Brisbane side can't be called either Stingrays which are prevalent around Brisbane,or even Scorpions prevalent in the Oz bush .
The Bombers FFS, swiping the name from the fumbling sport.

The Titans didn't considered the name the stingrays but they did consider the name the 'Stingers'. It came down to three the Titans, Stingers, and the Pirates. The vote came in and the most popular was the Titans.

Agreed about the name Bombers. Apparently David Gallop didn't like the name choice when he was NRL CEO. The promo video from the Bombers also quite frankly is cringeworthy as well.

Pippen94

First Grade
The Titans didn't considered the name the stingrays but they did consider the name the 'Stingers'. It came down to three the Titans, Stingers, and the Pirates. The vote came in and the most popular was the Titans.

Agreed about the name Bombers. Apparently David Gallop didn't like the name choice when he was NRL CEO. The promo video from the Bombers also quite frankly is cringeworthy as well.

We all know the preferred option for Gold Coast was Dolphins - strongest brand by far!!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why? Is that your opinion or have you heard something? The only FireHawks sports franchise I found was an American indoor football team called the Fort Wayne FireHawks and they folded in 2011.
I can't find it now, but I read in an article that the Queensland Firebirds are/were challenging the Firehawks trademark, and there's a good chance that they'd win that case.

davi

Juniors
I can't find it now, but I read in an article that the Queensland Firebirds are/were challenging the Firehawks trademark, and there's a good chance that they'd win that case.

That's a shame if they win. The other option is picking a name so obscure that no one feels any connection to it. As the new NBL team the Tasmania JackJumpers found.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's a shame if they win. The other option is picking a name so obscure that no one feels any connection to it. As the new NBL team the Tasmania JackJumpers found.
The only people who really disliked the Jack Jumpers name were people who didn't know what a jack jumper was, i.e. people who aren't from Tasmania and therefore aren't the teams' target audience anyway.

Beside you saw the exact same phenomena with the Firehawks, where a bunch of people said it was a stupid name simply because they didn't know what a Firehawk was, and no matter which name a team picks there will always be people like that.

However it is a concerning indictment on the Australian education system that so many Australians know so little out their own ecosystem and the animals that inhabit it, especially in cases like the jack jumpers which are potentially deadly if you are unlucky.

Latest posts