What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie Blacker on loan

TruSaint

Referee
If Blacker does well he will attract offers from other clubs and he will leave us

Or, he gains valuable time on the field and returns a valuable member.

There is no assurance Mary will play him this season with any regularity. Anyway, it may be all moot about Blacker and NZ, based on what Kearney has stated.

Simon

Juniors
Loaning players this year can only be a good thing. You’d like to think there will be provisions like they don’t play against their mother club and if injuries occur they’re pulled back.

Given there isn’t NSW Cup this year it might be good to keep some players fit and playing. Blacker is contracted for next year and without reserve grade, a year of little to no games may hinder his development.

Going by Kearney’s comments I think a player like Packer at the Tigers is what he’d be looking for more so than a young player.

TruSaint

Referee
Loaning players this year can only be a good thing. You’d like to think there will be provisions like they don’t play against their mother club and if injuries occur they’re pulled back.

Given there isn’t NSW Cup this year it might be good to keep some players fit and playing. Blacker is contracted for next year and without reserve grade, a year of little to no games may hinder his development.

Going by Kearney’s comments I think a player like Packer at the Tigers is what he’d be looking for more so than a young player.

Agree with this.

Really dont see any downside for Eddie. Experience in a disrupted season may be the opportunity he needs.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Is there really a benefit to any player being 'on loan' to the Warriors?

Unless the loaned player is 'guaranteed' a starting position, they face the same scenario as with their current club. Yes injuries occur, and players would be required to be ready to jump straight into first grade. This is no doubt why Kearney wants players 20 -25 on a current roster, these would be players with some experience, or nearing twilight of careers. Players 26 - 32 would be very inexperienced, be rookies or even DS players ie players like Blacker. Someone already mentioned Packer, this is the type of player he'd be looking for (not to mention he is a Kiwi also, so would fit straight im culture wise). Suaso Sue from the Dogs, Oregon Kaufusi from the Eels is another just to name a few.
We are'nt blessed with props atm either, so lending this type of player from us is risky, especially considering Grahams frequent concussions and K. Sims broken arm. Tbh I really dont think Blacker is being the one they are referring to, imo, I think that Host would be more likely as he is off contract at seasons end and giving him some opportunity to find another club (perfect scenario with the Warriors).

TruSaint

Referee
Is there really a benefit to any player being 'on loan' to the Warriors?

Unless the loaned player is 'guaranteed' a starting position, they face the same scenario as with their current club. Yes injuries occur, and players would be required to be ready to jump straight into first grade. This is no doubt why Kearney wants players 20 -25 on a current roster, these would be players with some experience, or nearing twilight of careers. Players 26 - 32 would be very inexperienced, be rookies or even DS players ie players like Blacker. Someone already mentioned Packer, this is the type of player he'd be looking for (not to mention he is a Kiwi also, so would fit straight im culture wise). Suaso Sue from the Dogs, Oregon Kaufusi from the Eels is another just to name a few.
We are'nt blessed with props atm either, so lending this type of player from us is risky, especially considering Grahams frequent concussions and K. Sims broken arm. Tbh I really dont think Blacker is being the one they are referring to, imo, I think that Host would be more likely as he is off contract at seasons end and giving him some opportunity to find another club (perfect scenario with the Warriors).

The loan system has been brought in for this unique period, although it is used in other codes globally well. The premier League for example.

It wont happen with Blacker as its been posted here numerous times that Kearney's desires are elsewhere, but overall i like it.

An up and coming / fringe player gets out of his comfort zone, salary relief in the meantime, gets game time he wouldn't normally get. One would think the player would get game time, otherwise why would the club taking him pay ?

Dragons4me

Juniors
No. I still don't buy it. Don't think Blackers ready? Then give him a run with us this season to find out. Not on loan to another team to see. I still think we're a prop short anyway. When a Bellamy, Robinson or Bennett do it then maybe. Not us. We're sitting at the bottom of the table (again) and we're offering an opposition team help. Does me!

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
No. I still don't buy it. Don't think Blackers ready? Then give him a run with us this season to find out. Not on loan to another team to see. I still think we're a prop short anyway. When a Bellamy, Robinson or Bennett do it then maybe. Not us. We're sitting at the bottom of the table (again) and we're offering an opposition team help. Does me!
Very true

BLM01

First Grade
If you have a guy built like a slab of concrete and you think he can play first grade why the hell would you let him go ply his trade at another club to mould him into a first grader.

It just so obvious to me why we are the laughing stock of the league.
I'll go one step further.
If the Warriors had not even approached him or the club..or he likewise said anything to the coach....supposedly
Why stand up on the rooftop and offer him...publicly.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
If you have a guy built like a slab of concrete and you think he can play first grade why the hell would you let him go ply his trade at another club to mould him into a first grader.

It just so obvious to me why we are the laughing stock of the league.
They wouldn't have an ounce of grey matter between them

BLM01

First Grade
The virus won't be happy till we're totally ratshit
I have got to say this. Forget everything else about McBrainExplosion...but he has a bad habit of opening his trap saying things that a coach should keep under wraps.
Lately its about the players..Zac 1st crack, Tyson wont leave while I am coach, players under the bus. paddle controller and now this
In press conferences of prior years its sticking his neck out calculating and predicting publicly ("in blocks of 5 games" as quoted) how many games left, how many wins you need to make the 8 and even stating what teams, home V away, 7 day turns, and travel etc etc to basically say all is good when quizzed why we are freefalling from 1st - 7th with 3-4 losses in succession.
Last year we could still win the GF from 12-13th that we were at around the Penrith game and Hunt debacle.
It all has worked out so well for him.:rolleyes:
Other coaches must shake their head in disbelief....he is already searching for those sort of stats now publicly.

redv13

Bench
I have got to say this. Forget everything else about McBrainExplosion...but he has a bad habit of opening his trap saying things that a coach should keep under wraps.
Lately its about the players..Zac 1st crack, Tyson wont leave while I am coach, players under the bus. paddle controller and now this
In press conferences of prior years its sticking his neck out calculating and predicting publicly ("in blocks of 5 games" as quoted) how many games left, how many wins you need to make the 8 and even stating what teams, home V away, 7 day turns, and travel etc etc to basically say all is good when quizzed why we are freefalling from 1st - 7th with 3-4 losses in succession.
Last year we could still win the GF from 12-13th that we were at around the Penrith game and Hunt debacle.
It all has worked out so well for him.:rolleyes:
Other coaches must shake their head in disbelief....he is already searching for those sort of stats now publicly.
The farkwit is a moron!!! Couldn’t imagine any other coach sitting in a press conference spruiking how if we win x games out of y then were in the 8. Um hello dic*wad, your the coach and you should be looking to win all your games. This shit is so embarrassing and every time he opens his mouth absolute dribble just pours out.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The farkwit is a moron!!! Couldn’t imagine any other coach sitting in a press conference spruiking how if we win x games out of y then were in the 8. Um hello dic*wad, your the coach and you should be looking to win all your games. This shit is so embarrassing and every time he opens his mouth absolute dribble just pours out.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment I also giggle at the irony.

Old Timer

Coach
Blacker will not get 1 ounce of 1st grade time at our club unless we have at least 3-4 major injuries in the front row position.

At present we have Vaughan, Graham, Lawrie, Kerr, Merrin, Host (I believe that is where Mc Grinner will play him), K Sims of which 4 should get picked weekly.

I suspect he will throw T Sims or Frizz at front row before Blacker as he would happily play a hooker at 13 and swap that player to the back row to cover off.

So if he can get some game time at the Warriors and pick up a contract good luck to the kid

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Whilst looking at the loan clinically, this may appear the best option.

But it would be a dog act ( no pun intended ), by the Club to a 400 game veteran probably on his last NRL season.

There is zero chance the Club would entertain this. And, rightly so. He has past his best, but again the Club signed him, and he has earnt the right to finish off his NRL career with some respect.
I know it’s not going to happen but it’s something I could see Bennett doing, but in saying that Bennett would get more use out of him.