What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie Mcguire on the radio today

LESStar58

Referee
Ice777 said:
Wasn't it live last Friday? How many games and when was the last time (excluding finals) have Storm games been shown live into Melbourne? Eddie takes over, we open up the season live in Melbourne and he still cops it. It may have been a small step, but it's a sh*tload bigger step than what's been taken for a long long time down here.

If or when we get another Friday night game down here then we'll see what happens regarding what time it's broadcast here. But until then it's pretty much useless specualting because none of us have any idea.

When he starts commiting to showing us more than once off then I'll start getting a bit more optimistic.

We will get shafted as soon as the AFL starts.

Personally i dont ga flyin f**k if storm arent playing.....i want FNF into Melbourne live. How else are people supposed to learn if they cant get exposed to other teams.

Dont kid yourself ICe! As soon as the AFL starts it'll be Friday nite movies galore on Channel 9.

Hass

Juniors
gottabegood said:
I'd say thats absolutely incorrect, if you gave people an either /or choice ( i.e if you were only allowed to follow one sport) most would pick Rugby League , AFL, Soccer or Rugby Union not cricket, although it would go down as a popular second choice......

If you used preferential voting cricket would win in a canter.

dimitri

First Grade
Hass said:

Cricket cant draw a decent crowd during they year

RL has shown it can draw decent crowds during November with the TriNations

Ice777

Bench
LESStar58 said:
When he starts commiting to showing us more than once off then I'll start getting a bit more optimistic.

We will get shafted as soon as the AFL starts.

Personally i dont ga flyin f**k if storm arent playing.....i want FNF into Melbourne live. How else are people supposed to learn if they cant get exposed to other teams.

Dont kid yourself ICe! As soon as the AFL starts it'll be Friday nite movies galore on Channel 9.

So when was the last time we had a live game down here excluding finals? That was my whole point, it's the first time if god knows how long and the bloke still gets crucified.

I'd love Friday night football live down here no matter who's playing as well but to expect channel nine to commit commercial suicide like that would be ridiculous. You know as well as i do that nobody besides league supporters would watch two non Melbourne sides go at it it so of course they aren't going to put it on. Would you knowingly do something to your business that was ultimately going to cost you millions of dollars? Well if the answer is yes then you didn't deserve to have the business and you wouldn't have it for too long anyway.

I'm in no way kidding myself and i'm well aware that Friday night will revert back to movies but it's not like this has just happened since Eddie took over, it's been happening pretty much since Storm's inception so it's a bit rich having a crack at him saying he's f**king the game up down here when it's no different to what we've always had. Sorry it is different, we actually had a live game under Eddie when we hadn't done for as long as i can remember. Even if we get another one or two live games i get the feeling that still won't be good enough even though it's a massive improvement.

The bottom line is that you should be pointing the finger at the NRL anyway. If they had've conducted themselves in a professional manner as the AFL did when the tv rights came up they would've demanded certain stipulations in the contract such as airing the footy into Melbourne by a certain time and if nine didn't want to play ball then give it to seven? But did they do that? No they didn't and this is what we're stuck with. The sad part is that i don't think the NRL will learn the next time either.

meltiger said:
Nothing you ever post is insightful.

Nothing you post is ever heterosexual.

I'd rather be uninsightful.

meltiger said:
He gives the game a bit of promotion in Aussie Rules heartland and states he was even looking forward to watching a game, yet still that's not good enough.

No it isn't.

He's still alive.

meltiger said:
Ahh your feelings of jealousy and bitterness towards Australia's most popular sport, Victoria's game know no bounds do they?

Sport?

LOLOLOLOLOL

Pffft, when are we going to bar stupid trolls like this gimp from the NRL section?

If brains were sh*t he couldn't raise enough for a squeaky fart.

cronker

Juniors
Wasn't Eddie at the Storm game on Friday night - they swung a camera to him at one point IIRC.

Point is, ANY rugby coverage into Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth is welcomed since we get saturated with AFL all year. This week, the Adelaide Advertiser produced a "special" sports magazine in the paper - NOT ONE WORD ABOUT NRL.

This is fing ridiculous - sure, Adelaide might be an AFL town, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any NRL supporters here. Last weekend, we without Foxtel here went down to our local sports pub where there must have been at least a hundred folk sitting watching the NRL.

The FNF coverage into Adelaide is delayed, yes, but welcomed.

gallagher

Juniors
cronker said:
Wasn't Eddie at the Storm game on Friday night - they swung a camera to him at one point IIRC.

Point is, ANY rugby coverage into Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth is welcomed since we get saturated with AFL all year. This week, the Adelaide Advertiser produced a "special" sports magazine in the paper - NOT ONE WORD ABOUT NRL.

This is fing ridiculous - sure, Adelaide might be an AFL town, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any NRL supporters here. Last weekend, we without Foxtel here went down to our local sports pub where there must have been at least a hundred folk sitting watching the NRL.

The FNF coverage into Adelaide is delayed, yes, but welcomed.

Are you getting the Sunday game on nine in the afternoon or late at night? In Perth we got last weeks game live and Parra v Souths this week is on at 2pm.

gottabegood

Juniors
Hass said:

I don't think so, as they would not be first choice in most votes ( i.e come near the bottom), .....if they were aligned with another sport...then their vote would go to preferences.

anyway apologies for sidetracking.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Australias national sports:

1. AFL
2. Cricket
3. Soccer
4. NRL

RL isn't a national sport at the top level and barely has a presence at other levels in some states. Believe it or not there is actually more to Australia than NSW & Q'land (hard for some to believe I know!)

Xplosive

Juniors
Perth Red said:

1. AFL
2. Cricket
3. Soccer
4. NRL

RL isn't a national sport at the top level and barely has a presence at other levels in some states. Believe it or not there is actually more to Australia than NSW & Q'land (hard for some to believe I know!)

Is there realy
I always thought Australia was NSW
But looking on google it seems that I am mistaken lol

Perth Red said:

1. AFL
2. Cricket
3. Soccer
4. NRL

First of all, I understand that people have become accustomed to calling Australian Football AFL, but I can't recall anyone who's comfortable calling Rugby League NRL.

And it's bad enough reading AFL fans claiming this crap without supposed Rugby League fans claiming it.

Go on then, tell me why AFL is a national sport?

Perth Red said:

1. AFL
2. Cricket
3. Soccer
4. NRL

How is Australian Rules more 'national' than Cricket or, even, Soccer? Cricket and Soccer are both played in almost every single suburb in Australia.

The same can't be said for Australian Rules or either code of Rugby.

Also - Please don't call Rugby league 'NRL'... :oops:

cronker

Juniors
We get the Sunday game at 2am Monday mornings here in Adelaide on Channel Nein. I agree, SA is probably lost to league at the moment, but rest assured that with the continuing rule changes to AFL to make it even softer than it already is, more and more footy fans will look to another code in the future.

That may well be A-League soccer for all I know, but at least some attempt into SA should be made. The Storm would be the best suited to promote themselves into Adelaide (which I have seen more of lately) and perhaps when the WA side comes into the comp they could also harness some of the NRL fan base from SA.

Just a thought.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Cricket is the only sport in Australia that unites all people. Every summer, everyone loves Cricket. It is the most popular sport in Australia by far. Of course people don't go to the state games, that's because all the Australian players are off around the world/country playing Test matches and ODIs.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Rugby League has internationals AFL doesn't (Can count Ireland game as they aren't playing the same game).

Rugby League has a popular national competition RU doesn't.

The only cricket that most people watch is international so I still think they are at least on par there.

Brutus

Referee
bluesbreaker said:
Cricket is the only sport in Australia that unites all people. Every summer, everyone loves Cricket. It is the most popular sport in Australia by far. Of course people don't go to the state games, that's because all the Australian players are off around the world/country playing Test matches and ODIs.

Cricket is also a different type of sport that requires far more of the spectator's time than the footy codes do. No wonder we see low crowds at matches - not everyone has a full day to spare. Whereas the footy lasts for 2 hours.

There are about 7 1/2 million people in a population of 20 million without AFL representation.

Of the 20 million, more than half come from 2 states who just simply don't watch AFL unless their capital city team is in the Grand Final.

If that's a National sport, I'm an 18th century Dutch painter.

Latest posts