What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie's Gone

Hanscholo

Bench
Well unless ther has a personal issue there somewhere, id say he is butthurt over what someone else is getting compared to him. Pretty stupid to throw it all away on a temper tantrum. 150k a year to do what he is doing, is not bad eh...

hugzy

Juniors
nothing special, good luck to him but jeremy smith 2012 is like top 5 backrowers in the game. jo-well edwards is lucky to be in the top 50 (and theres only 48 starting backrowers!)

ok im taking the pss but not really a loss

perverse

Referee
WAY too small.

It would solve the issue of where to play him though as he'd cop a season ending injury in round 2 every year.

Hooker makes some sense, but again, 40 tackles a game will kill him.
He's the same height as Glenn Stewart, I don't see why he couldn't pack on a couple of kilos (although he probably wouldn't need to).

Joker's Wild

Coach
He said he'd make 40 tackles at hooker pervy

TBH I think the year off will be good for Gids and enable him to get his body right for once. Injury free he could easily handle the defence at either lock or hooker, no problem. Just because he has copped injuries in the past doesnt mean he will continue to do so. Everyone was writing Marshall off a few years back and he has had how many injuries in the last 3 seasons now? Not many if any

Players being "injury prone" is a massive myth.

perverse

Referee
He said he'd make 40 tackles at hooker pervy

TBH I think the year off will be good for Gids and enable him to get his body right for once. Injury free he could easily handle the defence at either lock or hooker, no problem. Just because he has copped injuries in the past doesnt mean he will continue to do so. Everyone was writing Marshall off a few years back and he has had how many injuries in the last 3 seasons now? Not many if any
yeah, i noticed and re-edited my post on the sly.

and yeah, the year off could do Gids the world of good physically.

chinorocks

Juniors
Benji gets hidden and protected in defence. You cant hide as a lock or hooker. Given Gids enthusiam if he plays either role he will try to make 40 odd tackles. I dont think hes up to it. Stick him in 14.

perverse

Referee
Benji gets hidden and protected in defence. You cant hide as a lock or hooker. Given Gids enthusiam if he plays either role he will try to make 40 odd tackles. I dont think hes up to it. Stick him in 14.
Gids is going to try to make 10,000 tackles no matter which position he's playing unless it's fullback.

slotmachine

First Grade
It's a conundrum.

Fb is his best position, but we have a FB.

He's not a natural 7.

Hooker too hard on the body. He'll be 31 next year and had played 200 first grade games and how ever many rep
absolutely flat out.

He'll be 7 next year. Not sure about that though.

perverse

Referee
right, so you don't have an answer aside from drop Tyrone, which is exactly the situation we're discussing avoiding. nice contribution, thanks.

jonno_knights

Juniors
Glenn Stewart plays traditionally as a second row though. Watmough plays more of the Lock position for the Sea Eagles, in the middle of the park.

Gidley could easily play a second row type role though. There are many in the NRL that dont have much of a defensive workload (Mateo, Williams, Lewis, Gallen - when strictly on the edge, and many more).

Problem is Gidley likes to get involved, its just his nature. In the halves he normally gets 20-30 tackles, and I doubt thats because teams target him, as he is one of the best halves defenders, with one of the biggest motors in the game, so you arent going to tire him.

So playing as a second rower (or at least defending there) he is more likely to put up Housten like numbers, than McKinnon like numbers.

The other problem is we have Beau Scott, Housten and McKinnon on the books for next year. All 80 minute fringe players. And the signing of Smith all but rules out a move into the centre for Housten.

Gidley will almost certainly be halfback next year. And the best case scenario for Roberts is a bench position, and playing a similar role as he did last year in the wins over Canberra and the Sharks where he played 45-50minutes, and Gidley went to hooker.

perverse

Referee
I don't think Bennett will muck around shifting his halfback to hooker just to give Tyrone a run each week. not exactly an elegant solution. I prefer JM's solution on the last page with Bedsy coming on from the bench if we're going to go that far into unorthodoxy.

perverse

Referee
We're short on props, may as well play him there, haha.
He could do it easy, etc.
you're trying your hardest to look a right f**king gimp, aren't you?

here I am trying my hardest to be civil, yet you just seem to want me to call you out as a total spastic.

Johns Magic

Referee
It would probably solve a few problems if Gidley were to take a contract overseas before next season. I certainly don't see him being pushed, but if he were to seek a release I wonder if the club would stand in his way.

Personally I'd love to see him stay and it somehow all work out. He deserves to be part of the success if we do get some.

RABK

Referee
I was the first to be critical of Eddy and point out the huge flaws in his game when everyone was getting wound up after a couple of big hits. I welcome this news. i honestly think the guy is our Daniel Mortimer - trying to live of a months form for the rest of his career.

Eddy been a good defender is a huge myth. Houston is twice the defender he is. Defence is not a big hit bi-monthly. In todays game it's about linespeed, strength in the contact and wrestle. Houston is a guy who is able to win the wrestle against bigger blokes and give our line the extra 2 or 3 seconds it needs to set. Go watch some of our games this year and watch how many quick play the balls Edwards gives away.

And the less said about his attack the better - well there is nothing to say about his attack, it's non existent. I seriously think it comes down to him simply been weak for an NRL player. He has a good enough technique to look physical in defence but in the wrestle and hitting the ball up he looks like a ragdoll. I wouldn't be surprised if guys like McManus smash whatever Eddy lifts in the gym.

If Edwards is worth 150k than Houston is worth 450k. Dodged a bullet.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I'll pop back in when the round 1 team is announced next year with gids at 7.
if only we didn't see you until then - now THAT'S a fairytale (and not a fairy take).

did you miss the part a few pages back where i said I think Bennett still sees him as our 7? your density is f**king immense.