What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eel of a time for unlucky Keating

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-unlucky-keating/story-e6frexnr-1225826134187

Eel of a time for unlucky Keating

* By Tyson Otto
* February 03, 2010 12:00AM

WHEN Kris Keating suffered a broken jaw in round 10 last year, he was the Eels' starting halfback.

But by the time he had returned from the injury, gun five-eighth Daniel Mortimer and consistent playmaker Jeff Robson had cemented their places as the Eels' halves.

Now Keating's back, desperate to return to first grade.

Keating played nine of the first 10 matches for the Eels last season and was being groomed by coach Daniel Anderson as the next Eels halfback following Brett Finch's trade to the Melbourne Storm early in the year.

But the 21-year-old now finds himself battling to earn a spot among one of the strongest halfback stocks in the NRL after Robson and Mortimer led the Eels to an unlikely Grand Final in October.

"Those guys have been doing really well, they really turned the team around mid-year," Keating said yesterday. "It was shattering to watch the team I could have been a part of doing so well, but at the same time I was thrilled to be watching those guys play the footy they did."

Keating is now in limbo after Anderson said he was still being considered for a first-grade spot but added Robson and Mortimer would get first shot at playing in the halves.

"The coach told some of us younger guys that we're in the mix," Keating said.

"He just said I'd get a chance in trials before the season and I know I have to really impress by just being consistent and improving little things.

"He's let me get back into it in my own time. It's going to be really tough but I just have to keep training hard and doing everything I can to show Daniel I'm ready.

"I haven't really played footy in six months but my ankle and jaw are fine and I'm completely fit, 100 per cent."

After his jaw injury, Keating suffered season-ending ligament damage to his left ankle in round 23.

Keating is one of several Eels stars who will be fighting for a top-grade spot during the trials. The Eels held a marathon six-hour training session at Ringrose Park, Wentworthville, and in the gym yesterday.

Parramatta's first trial is against the Dragons in Perth on February 14 but Keating said Anderson had not yet spoken to him about his strategy for selecting players for the pre-season matches. The Eels will fly to Perth next Wednesday to prepare.

Earlier that day, 24 players from the senior group will take part in the NRL Community Carnival across Western Sydney. The Eels, Bulldogs, Panthers and Wests Tigers will each host a community day for fans from 10am on February 10.

Keating and his non-Four Nations teammates have been back at training since November 9 and he said he was fitter than this time last year. "The whole team's been working really hard and we know it will pay off eventually like it did in the back end of last season," he said.

El Diablo

Post Whore
fighting for spots is great

you know you can't f**k up or get lazy or you'll miss out

they have to settle on somene though as chopping and changing halves is not good

andrew057

First Grade
Wouldn't think it will be too long before he is permanently in the 7. He was close to the Eels best player before getting injured last season. Quality player.

strider

Post Whore
Keating played nine of the first 10 matches for the Eels last season and was being groomed by coach Daniel Anderson as the next Eels halfback following Brett Finch's trade to the Melbourne Storm early in the year.
I could have sworn you usually get something back in a "trade" :-k

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Yeah we did, we started to win matches.
iloled-pam.jpg

Yeah Kris is all class. The try he scored, when he injured his ankle up on the Central Coast was amazing, I am sure JessEel will agree with me, a solo 30 metre effort beating 4 guys and only being bought down by the fullback who he had already beat once and a prop landing on his ankle.

Parra Steve

Juniors
I think he's as an important re-signing as Mortimer and Mateo are. I thought his kicking game before he got injured was pretty good, usually found the grass.

KK has an awesome long Kicking game, Robsons boot loves to seek out the Fullback on the Full.

But but Robson is better because he's from the country... just like Michael Lett...

SDM

First Grade
Hopefully he doesn't try to tackle Watmong with his head again.

Parra Steve

Juniors
Robson's a great defender, but i have to say that i think Kris isnt that far behind, ive seen him put players twice his size on the ground. Robson deserves to start this year, but as a long term half i have to say i think Kris is the answer.

Kornstar

Coach
I would loved to have seen the KK & Hayne combo given a shot during last season but we had Finch and it was clear he was not getting dropped as he left before he could be dropped and by then the Hayne experiment had "failed"!

Something interesting to trial would be

1. Mortimer
6. Hayne
7. KK

I know it may be controversial but Mortimer has plenty of ticker, is very zippy and i think he could play much like the Slaters and Campbells of the league where they use their skill and footwork rather than strength at the back.

Hayne has great vision, we have all seen that and he is just a freak but as we know his kick returns seem lacklusture which sees him getting screamed at by his own fans. I don't necessarily have an issue with the returns as on some he tore teams to shreds but sometimes i think because he is doing everything else he gets too tired, he is carrying around a big frame unlike Slater, Campbell or Bowen.

I think it would be interesting to give it a shot at some point in the trials as i am still not convinced that Hayne can't be a 5/8th!

I still think that KK will be cemented as our 7 by the end of the year and as Jake said, future captain!

If Mortimer starts the year the way he played last year he will be talked about for Origin (and may even be picked) given the lack of good NSW 6's running around. Not saying he should be there but i do think it is a big possibility considering the halves depth NSW has!

Latest posts