What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Attack Analysis

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Getting beaten by Melbourne and Penrith I can understand as their packs are comparable to ours but we should be steamrolling Souths when you compare the forwards. There’s a reason we were short priced favourites the first time we played them last season.
Premiership odds are a better indicator. Odds for individual games are strongly influenced by recent circumstances, including form and injuries.

lucablight

First Grade

Chipmunk

Coach
They are dumb if they cannot alter their play mid game and need the coach to tell them to.
Which is what Sterling was saying should happen. If we are getting bashed in the middle, start to go wide earlier. That is up to the captain, halfback and number 9 to work out mid game.
The assistant coach who is in charge of the attack, who is on the field with the players most of the game, should also be able to work this out too.

Chipmunk

Coach
Could be my imagination. I'd have to consult the Pou book of statistical compilations. We don't seem to offload as much these days. Paulo, Nrown, Matto and Lane used to be habitual offloaders. Still are a little bit but not so much any more.
We do seem to play very conservatily, and bring the offloads out once we gain control. I suspect we've tried to develop a game plan that will serve us better towards winning Finals matches. I'm not sure what we're doing will get that done. We will get a pretty good idea over the next 6 weeks whether it is the way to go though.

Interestingly, we still have the most offloads in the NRL this season.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
We do play very conservatily. I suspect we've tried to develop a game plan that will serve us better towards winning Finals matches. I'm not sure what we're doing will get that done. We will get a pretty good idea over the next 6 weeks whether it is the way to go though.

Melbourne, Penrith and souths arnt going to be troubled by what we are putting out.

Chipmunk

Coach
That's what ba said about Fergo. He didn't stick to the system and so had to GOTO Reggie's to relearn it
Kicking on the first play after making a break to set up a try certainly wouldn't be part of the coaches instructions, but we probably don't score in that set of six without it.

yy_cheng

Coach
Kicking on the first play after making a break to set up a try certainly wouldn't be part of the coaches instructions, but we probably don't score in that set of six without it.
That I disagree with. Ba does say play what's in front of you if it's there. I think it was worth it.

The kicks ja put in early in the tackle count over the last 2 games I definitely don't think was worth it.

crocodile

Bench
We do seem to play very conservatily, and bring the offloads out once we gain control. I suspect we've tried to develop a game plan that will serve us better towards winning Finals matches. I'm not sure what we're doing will get that done. We will get a pretty good idea over the next 6 weeks whether it is the way to go though.

Interestingly, we still have the most offloads in the NRL this season.
Again, I'd have to look at the Pou book of statistical gatherings. We may have the most offloads this season but earlier we did a shit load of them. They seem to be down now. I notice that opponents tend to wrap Paulo now to try and cut them down. Same with Matto. As long as I can remember, the offloading has been very much an Eels style. The 2009 march to the GF was built on them.

Chipmunk

Coach
Again, I'd have to look at the Pou book of statistical gatherings. We may have the most offloads this season but earlier we did a shit load of them. They seem to be down now. I notice that opponents tend to wrap Paulo now to try and cut them down. Same with Matto. As long as I can remember, the offloading has been very much an Eels style. The 2009 march to the GF was built on them.

Yes, I agree it does seemed to have gotten less in the last few games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Funny how Sterlo can see a problem with the attack (Even Freddy mentioned that we have to work harder than a lot of other teams to get over the line) yet there are still people here who don’t think it’s an issue.
Everyone here would like us to score more points. The question is whether coaching will make that happen. Personally I think it will only be improved by experience and/or recruitment.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That I disagree with. Ba does say play what's in front of you if it's there. I think it was worth it.

The kicks ja put in early in the tackle count over the last 2 games I definitely don't think was worth it.
Those early kicks are a standard tactic to slow down edge defences getting up too quickly. It's nothing new, and doesn't need to lead to a try or a repeat set for it to be of benefit, as long as it gives the defence something to think about.