What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels backline the hottest in NRL: Finch

mattyg

Bench
Melbournes backs have talent that is consistent. Complete package. Inglis/Slater/Folau are all extremely talented and they play like it every week.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by mattyg
Inglis/Slater/Folau/King/Turner - far better defensively and in attack IMO. If you base it on the last game, of course eels are better...fact is, Storm have only lost 3 games this year, Eels have lost 8. Based on this year, Storm are way better.

I think we can agree to disagree.

Inglis is the five eigth, talking outside backs here. On current form eels backs are better than storm, over the year it's storm, but current goes to eels and current is all that matters right now.

How exactly are the storms outside backs far better in attack than the eels? Our outside backs are all rep standard except for Ben Smith who has been one of our best in defense all year, except for the last two weeks but with cayless returning i think our defense will improve by a lot.

INU/Hayne/Tahu/Smith/Grothe is damn good and when burt returns who was in career best form (top points scorer in the comp, because he's the most accurate kicker and can scores tries). Eels are the best, that could change but for now there's no doubt eels are the best.

mattyg

Bench
everyone knows inglis is a centre just playing five-eighth. If anything, its restricting his potential...current is based on 1 game in your opinion...

so currently Anthony Watmough is the best 2nd rower in the game??

All of Melbournes backs are rep standard except for turner and folau. And Inglis and King are regular reps, whereas Hayne was the only regular rep from the eels in the origin squad.

btw, i LOVED your bait saying that Burt is the most accurate kicker :lol: classic stuff there.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I think our backline has the most potential in the comp, however we need consistency to beat the backs of the Storm.

I still think Israel is overrated, by that i mean he's a good young player, but apart from taking some bombs i dont think he has the natural ability of Inu.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mattyg said:
everyone knows inglis is a centre just playing five-eighth. If anything, its restricting his potential...current is based on 1 game in your opinion...

All of Melbournes backs are rep standard except for turner and folau. And Inglis and King are regular reps, whereas Hayne was the only regular rep from the eels in the origin squad.

btw, i LOVED your bait saying that Burt is the most accurate kicker :lol: classic stuff there.

Before he got injured i think he was:?

King, Folau, Turner meh? i'd rather Inu, Grothe & Tahu anyday of the week.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by mattyg

I had to try, i like being cheeky :D
I used the cronulla game as an example that they're not in the best of form
and they aren't, last two weeks have been poor by their standards.
Where parra backs have been in good form.
Anthony Watmough has been in great form for a while now, him and SBW
are currently the best in the 2nd row, do you disagree.

PS. bad example by you [-X \\\\:D/

mattyg

Bench
thankyou RJ!! Finally a Parra fan with sense.

Eels definately have the most potential, but you can't say they are the best backline in the comp after 1 great performance. Storm have been doing it for 2 years now, only losing 8 games in that whole time.

i agree with you that Israel is a bit overrated, but in saying that i think Grothe is overrated, primarily because he is really inconsistant at this stage. With Israel i think he isn't getting quality ball as well due to the talent of the other backs. They have heaps of talent to spread the ball to, so i think that might be one reason why he isn't doing much other than scoring tries.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
mattyg said:
thankyou RJ!! Finally a Parra fan with sense.

Eels definately have the most potential, but you can't say they are the best backline in the comp after 1 great performance. Storm have been doing it for 2 years now, only losing 8 games in that whole time.

i agree with you that Israel is a bit overrated, but in saying that i think Grothe is overrated, primarily because he is really inconsistant at this stage. With Israel i think he isn't getting quality ball as well due to the talent of the other backs. They have heaps of talent to spread the ball to, so i think that might be one reason why he isn't doing much other than scoring tries.

Yeah thats true, we have a heap and have showed it in games like against ythe Tigers, Cantebury, Roosters etc, but then in other games they've tried to be too fancy and stuffed up or were very quiet.

There is a reason why Melbourne have had 2 great years, consistency. This final series will sought the men oout from the boys, i'm confident we can too do so, but not too confident.

Grothe is grothe, dynamite oneday, f**k up the next. Israel? i just dont mind coming up against this bloke, i reckon he can be exploited by the likes of Tahu etc.......we shall wait and see.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
hey i have sense, i'm not arguing about the quality of melbourne's back, just who is in better form at the moment.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
WTF? said:
hey i have sense, i'm not arguing about the quality of melbourne's back, just who is in better form at the moment.

:lol: We need more then one game to show what our backs can do, Melbourne have the best due to consistency. We win some more big games then maybe they can overtake them.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
ok then you've convinced me, our backs have only shown what they can do in one game this year.Shrugs, submits defeat, if only i hadn't watched parra do some brilliant things in other games.

On a more serious note, what happens if we beat the storm does that prove who's backs are better, if they win i will concede defeat.

caylo

Bench
Full strength (i am willing to leave Burt out in our team atm)

Slater v Hayne (even id say-but ill give it to slater)
turner v Inu (Inu by a country mile)
King v Benny (king)
Isral v Tahu (Tahu)
Geyer/Quinn v Grothe (grothe)

and i say make up wise, we have more flar than any other team. Tahu, Benny, Hayne are all very strong defencivly. Grothe makes some dumb moves but front on is a brick wall, and Inu isn't to shabby.

Hunt v Hayne (Hunt)
Micheals v Inu (Inu)
Boyd v Benny (benny just)
Hodges v Tahu (hodges just!!)
Tate v Grothe (and Tate Just again!!)

Close backline, very similar. Again i say we have more flare, but brisbane is just full of talent. Id flip a coin, but Lockyer is just in a different class to Smith and Finch, so if you include 6/7 they are ahead of most teams (even the storm) by a country mile.

mattyg

Bench
thankyou...but yeah im with you guys your backs have plenty of potential...its gonna be a cracker of a finals series and i'm confident in saying Melbourne won't be in the grand final. They have consistency as RJ says, but many other teams can beat Melbourne IMO.

I think the finalists will be out of Eels/Manly/Warriors and to a lesser extent maybe the Dogs/Tigers. My bias is keeping the Dogs in it atm, with the knowledge that Willie is coming back soon.

Finch seems to be slightly overconfident with the backs, and tbh the last time i seen Eels rated as they are now was in 2005 and we know what happened then. I can understand why a few of you aren't too confident about the finals...i was confident about us last year and that ended up in severe dissapointment. Anything can happen!!

mattyg

Bench
WTF? said:
ok then you've convinced me, our backs have only shown what they can do in one game this year.Shrugs, submits defeat, if only i hadn't watched parra do some brilliant things in other games.

On a more serious note, what happens if we beat the storm does that prove who's backs are better, if they win i will concede defeat.

If you's beat them in the finals you can claim that your backs are better...because they stand up when it counts. Thats what seperates boys from men. You gotta be able to perform when it matters most.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
WTF? said:

Wining a GF offcourse, and if Melbourne dont win it and either do we then that means someone else does.

The Tigers match was our best game, pitty we can't play like that all the time.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by caylo
Full strength (i am willing to leave Burt out in our team atm)

Slater v Hayne (even id say-but ill give it to slater)
turner v Inu (Inu by a country mile)
King v Benny (king)
Isral v Tahu (Tahu)
Geyer/Quinn v Grothe (grothe)

and i say make up wise, we have more flar than any other team. Tahu, Benny, Hayne are all very strong defencivly. Grothe makes some dumb moves but front on is a brick wall, and Inu isn't to shabby.

Hunt v Hayne (Hunt)
Micheals v Inu (Inu)
Boyd v Benny (benny just)
Hodges v Tahu (hodges just!!)
Tate v Grothe (and Tate Just again!!)

Close backline, very similar. Again i say we have more flare, but brisbane is just full of talent. Id flip a coin, but Lockyer is just in a different class to Smith and Finch, so if you include 6/7 they are ahead of most teams (even the storm) by a country mile.

I'm happy to drop ben smith or put him on the bench, put hayne in the centres on grothe's wing, hayne's defense at centre has been pretty good.

caylo

Bench
that is you WTF, i would differ in you opinnion. Why drop a centre, to play a winger in the centres and play a bloke with a recently suffered medial ligament injury at fullback. Hayne best served at fullback, and benny in the centres. For me it is Inu or Burt and Inu is undropable atm.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Well they're not going to bring Burt back until he's ready, and Hages said Burt would return. Personally i wouldn't bring him back in unless there is an injury, however with him coming back... Inu can't be dropped atm, so for me it's between Grothe and Smith. Grothe's runs from dummy half for me means he can't be dropped, so bye bye Ben Smith. When Hayne has played centre his defence has been very good especially his rushing up and he's defiantely better in attack so as i see it that's best for the team.

I wouldn't bring Burt back unless i had to

Latest posts