What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels backline the hottest in NRL: Finch

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Eels backline is quality. Only one who I think is average (but still a decent player) is Ben Smith. The rest are excellent.

mattyg

Bench
eels backline is fast becoming what our forward pack of last year was - OVERRATED!!

Individually, they are all great players on their day, but i still think Storm have a better backline atm, and Broncos at full strength also have a better backline.

mattyg

Bench
our forward pack is still overrated. On our day we are the best in the comp (last year they said "best pack ever")...but our days are few and far between. We need to get more consistant. This year has been hard to judge because we've had O'Meley out for most of the season, as well as Mason missing plenty of games. I think we have the best back row but our props seem to be lacking atm...by backrow you can say SBW-Ryan-Maitua and Mason can play in the back row.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
You have the best back row in the comp, but your forwards and bench aren't that impressive. If it's still rated the best than it's definately overrated.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by mattyg
eels backline is fast becoming what our forward pack of last year was - OVERRATED!!

Individually, they are all great players on their day, but i still think Storm have a better backline atm, and Broncos at full strength also have a better backline.

I don't see how our backline is overrated, it's one of the best in the comp and that's pretty obvious to all, no doubt about the talent. I believe it's the best but i'm probably biased ;-)

mattyg

Bench
same as us last year...to be classified as the best i'll wait to see if parra do anything in the finals. Our pack was probably the best in the comp last year, but it was overrating them to say it was the best pack ever.

Eels backline...yeah one of the best in the comp...the best?? no...Storm and Broncos have been consistant for 2 years now...Eels have had a few blinders. Eels backline certainly didn't look all that good against Manly 2 weeks ago.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
I said the best as my biased opinion ;-)
I wasn't arguing about the storm and broncos, though i wouldn't be using how we played against manly as a reason for it not being the best, because then i can just say the storm aren't the best because of how they played against cronulla, which was sh*t :lol:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our outside backs are the best, with a full-strength Brisbane a close second. If you're talking 1-7 Brisbane are by far the best no matter who plays halfback.

But with all the players they have out at the moment though, Brisbane's backline are worse than Souths'. It's like Justin Hodges.. plus a bunch of guys who wore their Broncos jerseys to the game.

How bad were they against Manly? They had about 150% posession in the first half and did nothing!

I mean, Manly's defence is excellent but for the Broncos to have that much possession and only score 2 points... what a bunch of spastics.

mattyg

Bench
i was just saying that i think parra are overrated, because they have had a few good games and people are saying they're better than the storm and the broncos - both of which have been great for the past 2 years now.

Eels backs are talented, no doubt, as are our forwards - its just a matter of living up to the potential.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
mattyg said:
same as us last year...to be classified as the best i'll wait to see if parra do anything in the finals. Our pack was probably the best in the comp last year, but it was overrating them to say it was the best pack ever.

Eels backline...yeah one of the best in the comp...the best?? no...Storm and Broncos have been consistant for 2 years now...Eels have had a few blinders. Eels backline certainly didn't look all that good against Manly 2 weeks ago.

Are you kidding me? We scored 4 tries.

mattyg

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
Our outside backs are the best, with a full-strength Brisbane a close second. If you're talking 1-7 Brisbane are by far the best no matter who plays halfback.

But with all the players they have out at the moment though, Brisbane's backline are worse than Souths'. It's like Justin Hodges.. plus a bunch of guys who wore their Broncos jerseys to the game.

How bad were they against Manly? They had about 150% posession in the first half and did nothing!

I mean, Manly's defence is excellent but for the Broncos to have that much possession and only score 2 points... what a bunch of spastics.

do you know anything about rugby league??

the majority of the time if a team is struggling to score points, it comes down to the halves. That was the Broncos problem on sunday...they had NOTHING in the halves, not to mention Shaun Berrigan breaking down early in the game. Its hard for the backs to get quality ball to work some magic with useless halves.

mattyg

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
Are you kidding me? We scored 4 tries.

and let in 4 tries on one wing!!!

being talented isn't just about attack..you gotta be able to hold your own in defence. Joven Clark coulda been a fantastic player, but he simply can't defend. Thats what holds a few of the parramatta backline back imo...they might be awesome in attack, but they make some terrible choices in defence. (i wont name any names here).

that IMO is what seperates SBW from the other superstars in the game. While the other ones do all the fancy stuff in attack, SBW does it in attack and in defence. Defensively, SBW has had one shocker this year (against storm), but other than that he has been great at 1 on 1 tackles, and i don't even need to talk about the big hits.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Well at the moment taking into the consideration of the form the teams are in and injuries eels backs are the best, melbourne a very close second.
Eels attack at the moment is great, defense the only problem especially the right side. I wouldn't call melbourne's attack at the moment that great so on form we are the best, and on paper and i am refering to our outside backs because i know nobody rates smith/finch.

mattyg

Bench
Inglis/Slater/Folau/King/Turner - far better defensively and in attack IMO. If you base it on the last game, of course eels are better...fact is, Storm have only lost 3 games this year, Eels have lost 8. Based on this year, Storm are way better.

I think we can agree to disagree.

Latest posts