What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels backline the hottest in NRL: Finch

Ice777

Bench
Y2Eel said:
they probably do but we dont get any news from the storm/melbourne..

Errr read the papers online then. That's just one of the places i get my Storm news and i haven't seen any statements from them professing how good they are :sarcasm:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
eels_fan_01 said:
Storm have been the most consisent backline this year but Eels have been great a few times this year.

it takes a good defence to make a good backline imo, and we'll see in two weeks time who has the better backline between us and the Storm

Ice777

Bench
Twizzle said:
it takes a good defence to make a good backline imo, and we'll see in two weeks time who has the better backline between us and the Storm

To put it bluntly, one game proves jack sh*t. Even if our backs dominate or yours do all that simply means is who was better on the night and nothing else.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Ice777 said:
To put it bluntly, one game proves jack sh*t. Even if our backs dominate or yours do all that simply means is who was better on the night and nothing else.

Thats all it comes down to in the end 1 game...

Ice777

Bench
Y2Eel said:
Thats all it comes down to in the end 1 game...

So are you saying that whoevers backline plays the best tomorrow week then that will prove who has the best backline overall? In just that one game?

Y2Eel

First Grade
Ice777 said:
So are you saying that whoevers backline plays the best tomorrow week then that will prove who has the best backline overall? In just that one game?

No Iam saying who wins the 1 game that matters... All this hype is nice and all that but means diddly squat...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
mattyg said:
Melbournes backs have talent that is consistent. Complete package. Inglis/Slater/Folau are all extremely talented and they play like it every week.

Being consistent doesn't equal talent mate.

In 2001 we we were by far the most consistent team but hardly the most talented - Brisbane and Newcastle had better forwards, better backs and far better halves than us.

Likewise with Melbourne - they're consistent but the reason Gould and all the commentators are raving about our outside backs and not Manly's or Melbourne's is because ours are the best.

Just because our forwards, and specifically our fringe defenders, are letting us down doesn't discredit our backs.

Grothe (an ordinary defender but the best attacking winger in the game) and Ben Smith (an excellent defender) have been opened up a lot because their inside defenders have allowed them to end up in 3 or 4 on 2 situations. You talk about all the poor decisions they've made and the tries they've let in - you should see how many they save with big hits and last-ditch one-on-one tackles.

The people death-riding and talking down our 1-5 are doing so out of fear. They know we're capable of playing poorly and still winning through a few flashes of brilliance and I dare say they're jealous we keep coming up with such good rookies in a time where teams are paying through the nose for strike players out wide.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ice777 said:

you make a point but it will be hard to argue against the results of this game, assuming its played in the backs

1 game is better than no games

I've got no problems with our attack, but its our defence tha bothers me

between Manly and the dogs they put well over 50 points on us

lockyno1

Post Whore
Eels backline is underrated. At fullstrength however the Dragons backline would come close!

1. Hornby
2. Morris
3. Gasnier
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. Chase
7.Soward

damn good backline!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
JJ said:
Last time I checked the half and stand off are part of the backline - so no backline with Tim Smith

Led the league in try assists as a rookie and is currently coming second to Scott Prince. Don't base his ability on his second season (we all know what happens to rookie sensations in their second season) - at the moment he's on fire and has the best long kicking game since Joey. Not to mention all those try assists.

and more particularly Brett Finch in it is going to be labelled the best

2 Grand Finals and a handful of Origin games, including the winning field goal in a thriller.

He might be a sook (though he's behaving himself this year) but just because you don't like him doesn't mean he's no good. Even last year (when I hated him) he was in the top 5 in the league for try assists and line-break assists.

That said, it's forwards that win premierships anyway - and more and more I like the look of thw Warriors pack, but Melbourne just have so much depth from 1-13

I'd have Melbourne, Manly and probably the Warriors in front of Parra for Premiership favouritism. A full strength Dogs and Broncos would also be in front of us.

But our 1-5 are better than anyone's, no matter how erratic they were early in the season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
CharlieF said:
I'll also chime in and say that Manly has already nullified these backlines. A lot of people have commented on how bad their team performed against Manly whenever they have lost. I say refer to my comments above.

True.

Though their atack is ordinary with Lyon at five-eighth (he's a centre) they have an awesome defensive backline with him, Bell and Matai.

Thye way to beat Manly is through the forwards (who are also defensively strong but so big they can tire), which is why the Dogs flogged them when they met earlier this year.

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Originally Posted by Poupou EscobarI'd have Melbourne, Manly and probably the Warriors in front of Parra for Premiership favouritism. A full strength Dogs and Broncos would also be in front of us.

But our 1-5 are better than anyone's, no matter how erratic they were early in the season.

You've got to be kidding, the dogs don't deserve to be favourites over any of those teams...

sooperdooper

First Grade
yeh dragons backline is really hot :) haha
i love how people want to bag smith and finch! they are doing a great job this year... both playing great footy and smith is really maturing and playing good footy

sooperdooper

First Grade
Poupou Escobar said:
True.

Though their atack is ordinary with Lyon at five-eighth (he's a centre) they have an awesome defensive backline with him, Bell and Matai.

Thye way to beat Manly is through the forwards (who are also defensively strong but so big they can tire), which is why the Dogs flogged them when they met earlier this year.

matai strong in defence? hmmm yeh ok... he misses more than he makes

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
philstorm said:
Cronk, Inglis, Slater, Folau and King say hi.

That's stupid.

Cronk is a good player with a great kicking game, and King and Folau are big and strong and dependable, but only Inglis and Slater are in the Hayne/Tahu/Inu/Grothe class for brilliance when nothing's on.

Tim Smith might be erratic but he too is incredible at pulling tryscoring kicks and passes out of his ar$e.

mattyg

Bench
this is getting old and tired eels fans...EELS BACKS ARE NOT THE BEST IN THE COMP AFTER ONE GOOD GAME!!! saying that just proves my point that you have no idea about Rugby League. The storm backs have been pulling off games like the Eels did last friday for 2 years straight. And its not all consistency...you have to have some talented players to only lose 8 games in 2 years...

do you not remember Billy Slaters try in origin a few years back??

or Inglis last year playing anywhere and everywhere in the backline and scoring a heap of brilliant individual tries.

Don't get me started on the rest.

Storm by far have the best backline in the comp...parra's might have more potential, but atm Storm are the most talented and the best. Storm players have pulled off the talent in big games, Eels players are yet to do so (except for Hayne - and even then he had a major stuff up). If parra beat storm in the finals series then come back and talk it up. Till then just shut up because you're going to make yourself look stupid when 2005 happens all over again (feel free to bring this post up again IFFF parra win the comp).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ice777 said:
All i can say is that i'm glad it's your players that are making these bold statements and not mine.

Mate, I'm just glad someone is saying it.

Don't you get sick of all these sanitised let's-not-stir-the-opposition-up kinds of blokes who won't put their balls on the line.

Pro sports needs more people talking themselves up, because otherwise it just gets boring.

mattyg

Bench
Poupou Escobar said:
That's stupid.

Cronk is a good player with a great kicking game, and King and Folau are big and strong and dependable, but only Inglis and Slater are in the Hayne/Tahu/Inu/Grothe class for brilliance when nothing's on.

Tim Smith might be erratic but he too is incredible at pulling tryscoring kicks and passes out of his ar$e.

incredible that you rate Grothe higher than King...now tell me which one of them played 3 origin games this year, and which one got shoved aside for a place only for that spot to go to Hazem El Masri??

Folau is great, however i think he has been starved of quality ball due to the class throughout the Melbourne team. Whenever he does get the ball though, he has a great ability to find the tryline.