What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels drunk again at 4am - including Paulo and Tim Smith

Karmawave

Bench
Timmah said:
You lost credibility about there.

Did you take out 4 words out of a sentence and hence took away its context?

Mate, I had no credibility to lose to start with :lol:

mickdo

Coach
Karmawave said:
Last I looked CEO from the Eels and NRL Code Of Conduct agreements are what sets the ' moral high ground ' you speak of...

The media merely report when players breach the rules of their own clubs Timmah. Or if a bloke gets shot at. :lol: Or if a clown on the p*ss brings the games reputation into disrepute.
'report'??? Yeah right. They beat up stories to try and make them appear to be 'bringing the game in to disrepute'. They are the ones who try and set the moral standard, and they are pushing it further and further to the angelic end of the spectrum where soon players won't be able to drink alcohol at all, unless we stop them on this stupid crusade.

Aenemus

Juniors
Karmawave said:
:lol:

Last I looked CEO from the Eels and NRL Code Of Conduct agreements are what sets the ' moral high ground ' you speak of...

The media merely report when players breach the rules of their own clubs Timmah. Or if a bloke gets shot at. :lol: Or if a clown on the p*ss brings the games reputation into disrepute.

The morals are set by the people who pay their wages.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok, so if you signed a contract to work somewhere, then your boss suddenly decided to limit what you could do in your own time, not affecting you work at all., you would just accept it.

Wish everyone would put themselves in the players perspective, I am sure my employer could not even attempt to do that legally. . And I would definately quit no matter how much they paid me, probably move out of the country to get away from all the scrutiny.

I am the same age as Tim Smith, and older then most of the other players involved, yet I am sure me and all of my mates have done far worse then most of these stories each week.

Karmawave

Bench
Timmah said:
In turn you accept the Hollywood media treatment that has slowly but surely crept into our game over the past 5 or so years... it's a massive double standard!

Accepting it is exactly why it isn't the double standard mate :lol:

Timmah , I am enjoying your debate somewhat, but I am disappointed you take 10% out of what I have written and turn it into how you want to see it.

Also, I would like to debate this all day with you, but can no longer afford the time. I notice that my mere effort of 200 odd posts is far from your " Post Whore " status ;-)

I've enjoyed the talk, and I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

And realise that in the end, our opinions are worth f*ck all in the scheme of things ...

And ultimately won't change a bloody thing. :D

There'll always be a rabid vulture media who live off snitches like " John " giving up the fun times of footballers with no common sense like Tim Smith, and the debate will rage who is wrong and who is right.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Karmawave said:
Mickdo, do you employ the players?

The Parramatta Eels employ the players, and the Eels have their own rules.

Players get a choice to decide whether or not they want to sign with an NRL club like the EELS in return for a good wage. A side consequence of that agreement, is the Eels make rules that players must adhere to. This has to be in line with what the NRL wants.

The Eels own the players 24/7. To get paid by the club, the players agree to do the right thing by club rules.

Only last week Fitzgerald said its not acceptable for a player to be out at 4am. OK? Whether that is right or wrong, thats his rules, and he pays the players. If you don't like the rules, p*ss off from the club yeah? No one is forcing the Eels players to live by his rules. But if you want to be paid, and play for the Eels, you have to live by the CEO rules.

If they don't agree to the Eels rules, and those of the CEO, go play park footy and work as a plumber.

fitzgerald said that it was not acceptable to be out at 4am on a monday morning from the night before, he did not say it about a saturday!

Karmawave

Bench
Aenemus said:
Ok, so if you signed a contract to work somewhere, then your boss suddenly decided to limit what you could do in your own time, not affecting you work at all., you would just accept it.

Wish everyone would put themselves in the players perspective, I am sure my employer could not even attempt to do that legally. . And I would definately quit no matter how much they paid me, probably move out of the country to get away from all the scrutiny.

I am the same age as Tim Smith, and older then most of the other players involved, yet I am sure me and all of my mates have done far worse then most of these stories each week.

1. They legally get away with new rules because it comes under the broad term of ' upholding the image and reputation of the club '... If Fitzgerald decides he wants to change the rules, he can if it upholds the reputation of the club.

If that image takes a hit, and the CEO sees fit to change the rules, thats just the way it is. I doubt your boss is paying you $300,000 a year to adhere to his rules either.
Its a bit debatable how it can be seen that 4am sessions on the grog doesnt affect a professional athletes recovery from training and preperation for a game however...
Theres a massive difference between limiting a bloke to what he does, and applying some common sense.

Do you think the player agents and workplace rights groups would be sitting on their hands if the players were being treated unfairly by being fined, suspended, or dumped from first grade if the Clubs weren't legally within their rights to do so?!

You can be sure if the clubs were not legally able to fine/suspend/sack/dump footballer players, they sure as hell wouldn't be doing it - or we'd always be in court wouldnt we?

sooperdooper

First Grade
Karmawave said:
No what I see is stupidity for what it is. And stupidity has a new meaning if Tim Smith is out at 4am after everything he has gone through in the past.

It is fair to say that Tim Smith doesn't come under " every player " given he admitted to a drinking problem and went to rehab.

Smith of all people! Out at 4am in public.

Beat up or not, hell he can be drinking Diet Coke, but regardless, what idiot would even put himself out there and even have the SLIGHTEST risk of something like this coming out in the media given what has happened to him in the past?

Bloody idiot.

You can beat up on the media all you like, but its only the stupidity of the players who fuels their stories.

if your not doing anything wrong why does it matter...which is true, he was not doing anything wrong! learn to read

mickdo

Coach
Karmawave said:
If that image takes a hit, and the CEO sees fit to change the rules, thats just the way it is. I doubt your boss is paying you $300,000 a year to adhere to his rules either.
You think Weller or Junior are on that kind of money??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karmawave

Bench
sooperdooper said:
if your not doing anything wrong why does it matter...which is true, he was not doing anything wrong! learn to read

I never said he was doing anything wrong - at any time.

The debate has been raging here about media treatment of players. If you want to take out a quote, read the entire 13 pages of comments first.

My point all along is if a bloke is a media target and knows it, has a history of trouble finding him, and the media blowing up about it - why would you continue to put yourself in a position to be a target again and again? :lol:

Lets not be naive, anyone who is drinking Diet Coke isn't out at 4am.

You can be on the water at 4am and still find trouble. At 4am you don't have to go searching for trouble, because it can find you much easier.

Karmawave

Bench
mickdo said:
You think Weller or Junior are on that kind of money??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely not! :lol:

But if they want to be in the future it might be wise to start following the rules of the CEO. The same bloke who will pay them that type of money has set the rules for the Eels players :lol:

mickdo

Coach
Karmawave said:
Absolutely not! :lol:

But if they want to be in the future it might be wise to start following the rules of the CEO. The same bloke who will pay them that type of money has set the rules for the Eels players :lol:
I dont think they will be at this club after their next contract comes around, and I can't blame them either. What 20 year old would want to be under this type of management if they cave in to every media beat up like this.

Karmawave

Bench
Everyone wants to blame someone else in life hey.

Does anyone ever stand up and take accountability and responsibility?

Anyone? Ever?

mickdo

Coach
Karmawave said:
Everyone wants to blame someone else in life hey.

Does anyone ever stand up and take accountability and responsibility?

Anyone? Ever?
What, like the media? You should ask Glenn Milne.

Karmawave

Bench
We already know the media are scum and vultures.

They thrive on the stupidity of others.

I guess thats what makes footballers such easy targets.

mickdo

Coach
Karmawave said:
We already know the media are scum and vultures.

They thrive on the stupidity of others.

I guess thats what makes footballers such easy targets.
So you admit footballers are stupid, but can't understand why they are so stupid as to be out at 4am if they should know better??? Hmmm...

Karmawave

Bench
mickdo said:
So you admit footballers are stupid, but can't understand why they are so stupid as to be out at 4am if they should know better??? Hmmm...

Well it would be nice to think even stupid people can learn from their mistakes. Cows and horses can avoid the electric fence after a few touch ups, it would be nice to think footballers are on an IQ level a bit above that.

mickdo

Coach
Karmawave said:
Well it would be nice to think even stupid people can learn from their mistakes. Cows and horses can avoid the electric fence after a few touch ups, it would be nice to think footballers are on an IQ level a bit above that.
As I said before, cows get electric shock therapy. Are you advocating that for footballers just because they have the audacity to stay out late? I mean please... :crazy:

Latest posts