What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels dump Ray Price

Stagger eel

Staff member
the decision came from the stadium trust and not the Parramatta rugby league club, problem is both the CEO and the chairman of the PDRLC are part of that board and Fitzy wan't even present and voted for the name change because he was at the CEO's conference.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Newcastlerabbit said:
Im not a fan of Paramatta,but I respect Ray Price as a Paramatta great and legend.He deserves better.Time for the Paramatta club to punt Fitzgerald.

it wasn't the Parramatta club who dropped the name it was the stadium trust, owned by the state government..

sorry to burst your bubble.

Perth Red

Post Whore
whoever was responsible it is a shocking thing to do to drop the name of an all time great for "commercial" reasons. Reflects very poorly on the club imo.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Perth Red said:
whoever was responsible it is a shocking thing to do to drop the name of an all time great for "commercial" reasons. Reflects very poorly on the club imo.

that I agree...

eelavation said:
it wasn't the Parramatta club who dropped the name it was the stadium trust, owned by the state government..

sorry to burst your bubble.

I suppose you are going to tell me Cockgerald either knew or had no input with this,just because he is out of town? Your living in dream land.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Crap reporting at it's finest.

- It's Parramatta Stadium making the decisions, not the Parramatta club.
- One of the rooms will still bear his name, something negated in the article then they later proved their own manufactured outrage untrue.

Ridiculous crap. As for having a lesser room dedicated to you, suck it up Pricey.

Red Bear

Referee
I think parra's treatment of former greats cost everyone the chance to see what Sterlo would be like as a coach (along with the obvious TV money).

Stagger eel

Staff member
Newcastlerabbit said:
I suppose you are going to tell me Cockgerald either knew or had no input with this,just because he is out of town? Your living in dream land.

that's what he said on the BSB this morning...

do you believe that the "Golden Child" and the "phone Thrower" will last at your club???....enjoy dreamland.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Red Bear said:
I think parra's treatment of former greats cost everyone the chance to see what Sterlo would be like as a coach (along with the obvious TV money).

Sterlo was never going to coach, he was approached by other clubs and he knocked them back, infact Sterlo actually sat on the board at one stage when his playing career eneded at the club.

Peter Sterling was only really interested in his career at channel 9 and who can blame?

tiger_nick

Bench
If this happened to Wayne Pearce, Ben Elias, Blocker, Sirro or another Tigers legend I would be disgusted. Ray Price was the heart and sole of the Parramatta club in the 80s. I don’t care if they had nothing to do with it, they should be there fighting for his name to be restored.

The Colonel

Immortal
Meanwhile, the Eels have moved to douse the controversy stirred up by the renaming of the Ray Price Lounge at Parramatta Stadium.

Legendary former lock Price hit out at the decision to rename the lounge the Cumberland Lounge.

"The decision to change the name of the Ray Price Lounge was made by the NSW Government-appointed Parramatta Stadium Trust," a statement from the Eels read.

"The Parramatta Eels football office was advised of the change following this decision.

"Whilst Denis Fitzgerald is a trustee of the Parramatta Stadium Trust he was not present at the meeting when the decision was made to change the name.

"The Stadium has advised that the Ray Price Lounge is being re-named the Cumberland Lounge and the once named Cumberland Suite (a corporate facility) is being re-named the Ray Price Suite which Ray was personally notified of last week in writing by the Parramatta Stadium Trust."

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/tim-smith-fined-by-eels-plus-booze-ban/20071207-1flr.html

Timmah

Staff member
That seemed to have been primarily covered in the initial article, the Telegraph and others just didn't seem to think the real story was inflammatory enough.

Skinner

Coach
So...have the Parramatta Eels Football office appealed against the decision.

I think this is absolutely appalling. Ray IS a legend and for some piddling NSW Govt
appointed Trust to make this decision sickens me.

Timmah, you are a goose of the highest order. You would not have even been a glint
in your fathers eye when Pricey was playing his guts out for the Eels. Something that
is completely missing these days, particularly in your own club.

Just witness the compliments from other club fans for Pricey and think before you start
posting sh*t.

Skinner

innsaneink

Referee
So who originanllyy named it the Ray Price lounge in the first place
PST I assume?

The thing is you dont just hand these things out willy nilly then take them back when it suits you, especially to make a buck

But Oh yeh, I forgot, its a business now.

Timmah

Staff member
How am I a goose? Because I don't buy media hype that overlooks details?

They published a picture of the letter sent to Price in todays Tele which clearly outlined what was happening - Ray Price Lounge was being changed to Cumberland Lounge... and the Cumberland Suite was to become the Ray Price Suite.

The Tele said:
The snubbing means there is now not one public facility - grandstand, terrace, lounge or bar - named after the only man to play in all seven Parramatta grand finals.

Yet they still published this bull-crap line with wording good enough to deem it a factual statement.

I have little doubt he was a great player in his day (holding age against someone in an argument... :lol: nice one Skinner), and deserves being honoured.

The biggest problem is the crap reporting. Rough around the edges barbs hurled at the Eels club, when they are not the ones who changed the name.

Dave Q

Coach
I remember he used to stand there stiff as a board staring at the goalposts willing the ball to miss the goal.

Ahh, those were the days.

He was one of the biggest louts in the game, but no doubt the best lock forward Ive ever seen or am likely to see.

innsaneink

Referee
Dave Q said:
I remember he used to stand there stiff as a board staring at the goalposts willing the ball to miss the goal.

Ahh, those were the days.

He was one of the biggest louts in the game, but no doubt the best lock forward Ive ever seen or am likely to see.

Waiting for a rebound off an upright I think.
Actually stood crooked to try and put the kicker off.