What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels face props crisis

The Colonel

Immortal
Eels face props crisis
By Josh Massoud
August 1, 2006

PARRAMATTA players last night fronted the grim reality of finishing another year without front-row dynamo Fuifui Moimoi because of suspension.

As Manly contemplated losing strike prop Brent Kite until deep into the finals, the incident which claimed the Sea Eagles prop has thrown a bigger spanner into the Eels' engine room.
With a devastated Moimoi now facing consecutive season-ending suspensions, Parramatta must continue its spirited finals charge with an almost bare front-rowers' union.
Moimoi is poised to join injured Eels props Aaron Cannings, Michael Vella, Adam Peek and Justin Tsoulos on the unavailable list after being charged with a grade three reckless high tackle yesterday.
While not arguing with the NRL match review committee, Eels captain Nathan Cayless, the club's last standing NRL prop, could not hide his disappointment.
"We are running out of front rowers to be honest," Cayless said.
"Fui's been outstanding for us, he's really built up his stamina.
"Obviously someone else will have to step up."
Back-row star Nathan Hindmarsh, who was deputising as skipper when Moimoi was marched for striking Kite, did not want to buy into the committee's ruling.
But he did suggest it was not clear from close quarters whether Kite actually sustained the most savage impact during Moimoi's tackle.
"I was there but I'm not sure whether (Kite) hit his head on the ground or whether Fui hit him around the head," Hindmarsh said.
"I don't really want to say too much more about it.
"(Fui's) been doing a lot of work because of his previous record.
"He was a bit tired, but there's no excuses.
"Players don't go out there to do things like that on purpose. It's just one of those things that happens."
Moimoi, 26, has been inconsolable since Saturday night's sending-off.
The 108kg juggernaut missed the 2005 finals after being suspended for nine weeks for a high shot on Brisbane rookie Berrick Barnes in round 26 last year.
Since returning this year, Moimoi's fearsome hit-ups and terrorising defence have almost single-handedly negated the Eels' front-row crisis.
"We will miss him a lot. He's improved so much every week," Hindmarsh said.
"When he first came to the club he was not much of a trainer, but he's turned it around and earned a spot in the starting front row.
"He's got a few players' player votes for the last couple of weeks. The supporters will miss him too. They know how hard he charges the ball up.
"We (would love to have him) not just for the team but for himself as well."
Now resigned to missing the finals again, a shame-ridden Moimoi has avoided teammates.
"Fui is very disappointed. He was not keen on coming to the after match presentation. He was very regretful about it," Hindmarsh said.
"I tried to ring him but his phone was switched off."

The Daily Telegraph
http://foxsports.news.com.au/print/0,8668,19976605-23214,00.html

the_eel

Juniors
Poor bastard...there was obviously no intent so I just really feel sorry for the bloke. He's had such a strong season and really worked on defensive technique and one moment could put an end to 2006 for him.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Can anyone tell me what Vella's injury is and whether he is any chance of coming back this year? Also any chance of Tsoulous coming back? Where is Brendon Oake (not that he is probaly ready for first grade)

JOB 3:14

Juniors
Kornstar said:
God i hope they fight the grading!!
I would, it's worth the risk. I don't think that they can give him anymore. That type of charge carries 3 weeks, it is Moimoi's record that extends it for another 4 weeks so they should be appealing to have the type of charge changed not the severity.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
Can anyone tell me what Vella's injury is and whether he is any chance of coming back this year? Also any chance of Tsoulous coming back? Where is Brendon Oake (not that he is probaly ready for first grade)

Vella and Tsolous no chance.

Oaky is currently starting in the backrow for pl.

Stagger eel

Staff member
T-BONE MCGRAW said:

sorry, Vella did his ankle.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
eelavation said:
Vella and Tsolous no chance.

Oaky is currently starting in the backrow for pl.

Oh I didn't see Oaky named last week and wasn't able to get to the game. Haraki and Taia were the second rowers named.

I thought Oaky must have been struck with the curse of the prop. Maybe that is why he moved to the second row to avoid the curse

sooperdooper

First Grade
Oaky has a long long long way to go before being considered in my eyes....
We have a large shortage, could we see Junior Paulo making his debut?

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
Oaky has a long long long way to go before being considered in my eyes....
We have a large shortage, could we see Junior Paulo making his debut?

Oaky reminds me of a young Nathan Cayless. Not overly big for a prop but pretty tough.

Personally, if we did have to pull someone from the lower grades, Paulo would be the one. I don't think we have a standout, but I'd say he is the best of what we have in terms of consistency.

Latest posts