What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels face test by Head and foot

yy_cheng

Coach
http://sport.news.com.au/story/0,8659,20000110-23214,00.html

Eels face test by Head and foot
By Brent Read
August 3, 2006

PARRAMATTA'S defence has set the premiership standard in recent weeks, but coach Jason Taylor and his players are about to face arguably their greatest challenge - the left foot of St George-Illawarra halfback Mathew Head.

The Eels yesterday identified Head's kicking game as one of the greatest dangers in tomorrow night's match at Parramatta Stadium, where the home side will be looking to extend its winning streak to seven games and maintain its late-season finals surge.
Head has been the focal point of the Dragons' attack in recent weeks, most notably against Melbourne last weekend.
The Dragons No.7 created three of the side's five tries in its 34-24 defeat, showcasing his entire repertoire as he prised open another of the NRL's highly regarded defences.
Head created one try for centre Matt Cooper with an angled grubber kick, one for Brett Morris with a pinpoint cross-field bomb, and another for Cooper with a chip kick.
"It's hard to defend, it's really hard to defend," Taylor said.
"But we'll be having a close look at it to see what we can do to defend it.
"It's one thing to come up with those tactics, but it's another thing to have the player in the team that can execute them like he does.
"He puts the kick in the right spot every time. It's very hard to defend, there's no doubt about that."

A look through NRL statistics illustrates Head's importance to the Dragons. He ranks among the premiership leaders in try assists, with 15, despite missing nearly half the season.
Most of his assists have come from kicks, something about which Eels wings Jarryd Hayne and Eric Grothe are all too aware.
Hayne, in particular, is bracing for a searching examination tomorrow night as he continues his first-grade education.
The game against the Dragons will mark the teenager's 11th appearance in the top flight.
"He's awesome," Hayne said of Head.
"I'm looking for them to come to my (side of the field). That's something you have to expect."
The Eels' cause should be helped by the absence of Dragons centre Mark Gasnier, whom coach Nathan Brown insists will be given the weekend off to recover from a calf problem.
Taylor isn't convinced, and he is readying his side for the possibility Gasnier will take his place.
"We'll prepare for him to play," he said.
"Nathan seems pretty serious about the fact he wants to give him a rest. He's tried to give him a rest a couple of times and it hasn't worked. I'm not sure who'll win that one."
And after weeks of playing down his side's finals chances, Taylor has finally conceded finishing in the top eight is the aim.
"Everbody knows it's the goal - it's not as though we never think about it," he said.

The Australian

yy_cheng

Coach
Head's short kicking game is as pinpoint as timmy's was last year.

I would get PJ to get up and hassle him and try and rush him.

Hellsy

Immortal
Head had an awesome kicking game last week, no wonder Parra are aiming to shut that down

Utey

Coach
His kicks are so precise, I reckon we will see Burty much further up in the defence to grab thos chip kicks, however our pack is pretty mobile so Iam sure they'll be cleaned up.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
IMO head is easily Saints most important player.

I like what Colonel says about wagon. Hopefully he is is in Head's face all night

The Colonel

Immortal
Well Wagon is more often than not the player given the role of hassling the playmaker most of the night.....

sooperdooper

First Grade
head is very important to the dragons
i also think hornby is as well
cooper is in good form as well

in saying that they will be worried about us...
we went close last time in horrific conditions

Utey

Coach
sooperdooper said:
we went close last time in horrific conditions

both are very different sides a few weeks on though, heres hoping the conditions are much better this time around.

parra pete

Referee
The Colonel said:
Mr Head will become well acquainted with Mr Wagon by the end of the night.....

Do you really think Wagon will get the Head job?
I would have thought someone like Morrison would be more appropriate...