What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels front rowers 2013

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Definitely Mannah and Allgood are our big two going into the future, but we need a couple for the bench and another couple for backups.

Fui and Justin Poore might get much bigger offers elsewhere, so there's a good chance we'll lose them. Especially in the case of Fui, if Kearney (rightly) let's him go a season too early than a season too late.

The two (or three) backup/Wenty props need to be pretty cheap, so they're not going to be very high quality. That means they would by necessity either be too young (Terepo) or not bend the line/get dominated (Shackleton).

We have a 35 man fulltime squad this year and will probably have about the same sized squad next year, and they can't all be stars. They can't even all be average first graders. Some of them are going to be a bit shit. That's why they're on minimum wage.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon he could be the surprise packet for us next year. But he could also play the whole year in Wenty.

Hoping for the former. And if he does turn out well, I hope we can re-sign him before we end up in a bidding war.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
We have a 35 man fulltime squad this year and will probably have about the same sized squad next year, and they can't all be stars. They can't even all be average first graders. Some of them are going to be a bit shit. That's why they're on minimum wage.

Geez you're a negative merkin.

MrT

Juniors
Definitely Mannah and Allgood are our big two going into the future, but we need a couple for the bench and another couple for backups.

Fui and Justin Poore might get much bigger offers elsewhere, so there's a good chance we'll lose them. Especially in the case of Fui, if Kearney (rightly) let's him go a season too early than a season too late.

The two (or three) backup/Wenty props need to be pretty cheap, so they're not going to be very high quality. That means they would by necessity either be too young (Terepo) or not bend the line/get dominated (Shackleton).

I doubt Poore will be offered more than $350k anywhere else or do you mean we'll drop our offer for a extension?

Tim Mannah
Allgood
Jon Mannah - health permitting, he'll come good

good young props that are nowhere near their peaks.

Poore - wouyld have to stay for less than $350k I presume
Shack - will be let go IMO
Fui - has 2 years left in him easy, hope he stays

If we lose any of these 3, there will be funds to replace them. I think we're very strong in the frontrow, probably the strongest I have seen

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I doubt Poore will be offered more than $350k anywhere else or do you mean we'll drop our offer for a extension?

I mean I reckon we'll offer much less, and some other club still might offer more. Maybe he'll stay for a bit less than he could get elsewhere to pay us back or something?

Or does that only happen at other clubs?

Tim Mannah
Allgood
Jon Mannah - health permitting, he'll come good

good young props that are nowhere near their peaks.

Poore - wouyld have to stay for less than $350k I presume
Shack - will be let go IMO

I reckon Shack is the most likely to stay simply because he'll be asking for the least amount of money.

Fui - has 2 years left in him easy, hope he stays

I hope he stays too but I'm sure he could get enormous money somewhere else, and we're not so desperate for props that we'll be throwing silly money at any of them. A more desperate club is likely to take him from us.

If we lose any of these 3, there will be funds to replace them. I think we're very strong in the frontrow, probably the strongest I have seen

Yeah definitely. For quality and depth it's the strongest position in the club. I dare say we have more of our salary cap tied up in front-rowers than the coaching staff would like.

Which is all the more reason why we're likely to lose our two best off-contract props.

MrT

Juniors
I reckon he could be the surprise packet for us next year. But he could also play the whole year in Wenty.

Hoping for the former. And if he does turn out well, I hope we can re-sign him before we end up in a bidding war.

I agree. I watched him in Toyota cup with Tim and he was a machine. He caused carnage up the middle of the ruck and has a good offload. He probably only signed for 1 year because the offer was low $$. When you think of all the treatment he had and time out, it was going to take him 12 months plus.

I too think he'll surprise and I hope he signs long term. You can tell how much Tim loves having him around

MrT

Juniors
I mean I reckon we'll offer much less, and some other club still might offer more. Maybe he'll stay for a bit less than he could get elsewhere to pay us back or something?

Or does that only happen at other clubs?

I reckon Shack is the most likely to stay simply because he'll be asking for the least amount of money.

I hope he stays too but I'm sure he could get enormous money somewhere else, and we're not so desperate for props that we'll be throwing silly money at any of them. A more desperate club is likely to take him from us.

Yeah definitely. For quality and depth it's the strongest position in the club. I dare say we have more of our salary cap tied up in front-rowers than the coaching staff would like.

Which is all the more reason why we're likely to lose our two best off-contract props.

asked a Dogs supporter and Tolman rumours are true. Des thinks he's toosmall for prop and doesn't have ball skills for backrow. I just hope they dont go for our Fui. I think it would have to be outrageous money for Fui to go to another NRL club

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I agree. I watched him in Toyota cup with Tim and he was a machine. He caused carnage up the middle of the ruck and has a good offload. He probably only signed for 1 year because the offer was low $$. When you think of all the treatment he had and time out, it was going to take him 12 months plus.

I too think he'll surprise and I hope he signs long term. You can tell how much Tim loves having him around

Yes he might be backing himself to get an upgrade in much the same way Reni did.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
asked a Dogs supporter and Tolman rumours are true. Des thinks he's toosmall for prop and doesn't have ball skills for backrow. I just hope they dont go for our Fui. I think it would have to be outrageous money for Fui to go to another NRL club

I reckon Des might be looking at Lussick. He's off contract at the end of next year.

As for Tolman, Kearney knows him from the Storm. He might like his attitude, but I tend to agree that a high workrate front-rower is pointless when you've got two of them on the bench.

yy_cheng

Coach
I don't see how Poore can demand big money.

At most $180K and maybe some incentives.

I hope Fui stays but he might get a big offer from England.

What about Mason?

I think we need 2 top props and 2 above average props and 2 young props.

2012 we have

top props - Fui and Mannah
above average - Poore
Young props - Allgood, J Mannah

I don't think keeping the Shack is the answer. He gets dominated and gets hit from pillar to post and seems to get injured. Could be his running style.

I would try and sign Poore for 2013 for $180k if he has a good year in 2012 and definitely keep Fui.

He still looks as fit as an ox. That will let Allgood gain more experience and learn more before taking over.

So is Mason still on the cards?

MrT

Juniors

At most $180K and maybe some incentives.

What about Mason?

I think we need 2 top props and 2 above average props and 2 young props.

2012 we have

top props - Fui and Mannah
above average - Poore
Young props - Allgood, J Mannah

I don't think keeping the Shack is the answer. He gets dominated and gets hit from pillar to post and seems to get injured. Could be his running style.

I would try and sign Poore for 2013 for $180k if he has a good year in 2012 and definitely keep Fui.

He still looks as fit as an ox. That will let Allgood gain more experience and learn more before taking over.

So is Mason still on the cards?

$180k for Poore? You do realise thats the average salary. Who on earth takes a 50% paycut?

Eels Dude

Coach
$180k for Poore? You do realise thats the average salary. Who on earth takes a 50% paycut?

180k is probably an underestimate for someone like Poore, but let's keep in mind when he was signed he was a current SOO prop and unless he gets back up to that level next year his asking price will drop heavily. He'd probably be worth at least 250k on the open market still, probably more for a club desperate for decent front rowers.

oldmancraigy

Coach
180k is probably an underestimate for someone like Poore, but let's keep in mind when he was signed he was a current SOO prop and unless he gets back up to that level next year his asking price will drop heavily. He'd probably be worth at least 250k on the open market still, probably more for a club desperate for decent front rowers.

Perhaps?

But he seems to be a forgotten man in a lot of ways.
Personally I think he's an excellent prop - very solid around the ruck defensively, good sting in defence, and high workrate in attack. Not a big offloader, but hardly drops the ball.

The biggest problem with him seems to be (a) staying on the paddock and (b) Mannah and Moi Moi. No doubt those 2 will be our starting props - so if Poore wants to command a big salary in 2013 and beyond, he needs to be hoping for an injury so that he can showcase his game as a standout starting prop.

Having said all that, I don't think Poore would be worth $250k to us even if he plays for NSW again next year. The only time you need to overpay for a prop is when you're struggling with no props.
See the Bulldogs of the past few seasons - they needed a "leader of the pack" type and so brought in Graham, and paid overs for Tolman.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Because he's already on big money. And there's always a club more desperate who'll pay more.

Last time Poore came off contract that desperate club was us. St George wanted to keep him but they couldn't (or wouldn't) match our offer so they lost him.

Everyone talks about Fui going to England, but there are clubs in Australia who would throw top dollar at him.

If we lose him we won't get to choose where he goes.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
4 out of 17 in the team are generally front rowers. So about 25%.
So it pays to have a bit of depth there. We've all seen what happens when you run out of them through injuries etc at the wrong end of the season.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
4 out of 17 in the team are generally front rowers. So about 25%.
So it pays to have a bit of depth there. We've all seen what happens when you run out of them through injuries etc at the wrong end of the season.

lack of props killed our 2006 season

Latest posts