What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Gearing Up For Toyota Cup Finals

The Colonel

Immortal
news1889-WEBKrippyTC.jpg
EELS GEARING UP FOR TOYOTA CUP FINALS
11.55am, Monday 7 September 2008

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Pirtek Parramatta Eels will play Penrith in week one of the Toyota Cup Finals series at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night, kick off 6.15pm.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Eels finished the regular season in fifth place despite being one of four teams on 35 competition points, three draws for the year – including in each of their two final games – coming back to haunt them.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Canberra Raiders took out the minor premiership, ahead of Brisbane, the Warriors, Penrith, Parramatta, St. George Illawarra, the Bulldogs and the Gold Coast Titans.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Eels are expected to have established first graders Kris Keating and Tony Williams available for the match, while Trent Hodkinson is also in the mix after making a successful comeback from a knee reconstruction in the 24-all draw against the Warriors.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They are however winless against the Panthers this season, losing 44-18 at CUA Stadium in round eight and 42-26 at Parramatta Stadium in round 17.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The team to play the Panthers will be named on Tuesday.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TOYOTA CUP FINALS – WEEK ONE[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Penrith Panthers (4) v Pirtek Parramatta Eels (5)
Brookvale Oval
6.15pm, Saturday 13 September, 2008[/FONT]
http://parraeels.com.au/news/news1889.shtml

Stagger eel

Staff member
no doubt the Pennies will have Lachlan Coote, Wade Graham and Joe Paulo back in their squad so it's definitely going to be tough and there appears to be some selection head aches for Cammo come tomorrow arvo so it would be interesting to see who'll be in the side.

I think it may look something like this.

1 Nathan Gardener
2 Mase Lalau-Togagae
3 Taniella Lasalo
4 Albert Kelly
5 Dom Nasso
6 Kris Keating
7 Trent Hodkinson
8 Tim Mannah
9 Anthony Mitchell
10 Tim robinson
11 David Baumann
12 Tony Williams
13 Marty Lewis

14 Daniel Mortimer
15 Jon Mannah
16 Joe Mataele
17 Jay Hemming

18 Luke Motinelli
19 Mitchal Allgood
20 Kene Tewhata

I have this feeling that poor old "Hoover" will miss out because of KK and Hodko being availiable, I also can't even find room in the extended squad for the Latham boys.

it will easily be the most competative side they've fielded all year at the right time.

I wish you guys good luck.
I remember watching your boys take on the Roosters in a trial at Gosford.
I could tell from a few players they would make it big some day. I hope you do well!

The season ain't over for Parra yet.

bartman

Immortal
Wow, so anyone under 20 is eligible just to drop back for the finals, regardless of how much recent first grade they've played?

bartman

Immortal
I don't know... I'd expect there to be some eligibility rule beyond age, otherwise clubs stacking their teams with established young first graders would get farcical.

Personally I think KK and Tony played enough first grade this year to be deemed ineligible, but I guess the same would go for Penrith's Coote, Graham and that hooker guy (Aosti or something?) if they had such a rule.

Big Mick

Referee
Penrith wont have Coote or Graham.

Both had their knee braces off last friday.

Coote potentially next week...Graham maybe the prelim final...but thats a stretch.

Also Romelo is out for us...so its going to be a stretch

Potentially young Harry Seijka...16...may step up to halfback...but the likely pairing would be

6. Joseph Paulo, 7. Masada Iosefa, 9. Luke Clydesdale.

Big Mick

Referee
Bart. You are allowed i believe to play 8 first grade games...unsure but its between 6-8.

Coote, Graham and Iosefa are all eligible.

bartman

Immortal
Thanks Mick, thought there would be some limitation.

Iosefa, he's the guy I was thinking of that took Priddis' place at hooker? He's a gun...

Big Mick

Referee
Here's hoping!

Our spine next year could have less than 50 games NRL experience combined!..hahaha But I think it'll be:

1. Coote, 6. Lewis, 7. Graham, 9. Iosefa

I'd prefer:
1. Coote, 6. Graham, 7. Sammut, 9. Iosefa or 1. Coote, 6. Graham, 7. Romelo, 9.Iosefa
but Lewis would be there for a bit of stability.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, you've got the good young ones coming through there for sure. Panthers seem on teh up to me, despite losing a fair chunk of experience.

The Sammut/Lewis question will probably remain all season, but just one injury to someone and it's a direct swap. Sounds like your coach has somehow achieved a sense of stability for the whole of next season too.

The Colonel

Immortal
KEATING, WILLIAMS NAMED IN EELS TOYOTA CUP TEAM
2.37pm, Tuesday 8 September 2008

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Pirtek Parramatta Eels have received a double boost ahead of Saturday’s Toyota Cup Finals match against the Penrith Panthers with Kris Keating and Tony Williams set to make their return to under 20’s competition.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Both players have been regular fixtures in First Grade over the back half of the NRL season, with Keating playing nine games and Williams 11 for the year.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They have been named on an extended eight man interchange bench to play the Panthers at Brookvale Oval from 6.15pm on Saturday evening.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The match will be played prior to the NRL Telstra Premiership Finals clash between the Manly Sea Eagles and St George Illawarra Dragons.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In other selection news Trent Hodkinson has been named at halfback after making a surprise comeback from a knee reconstruction in last week’s draw with the New Zealand Warriors, while Daniel Mortimer has been included at five eighth despite suffering a head knock in the same game.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Eels finished the regular season in fifth position, one spot behind the Panthers.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The two teams were among four who finished the season on 35 competition points, with Brisbane taking second and the Warriors third behind runaway minor premiers Canberra.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Wentworthville team to play Cronulla in week one of the VB NSW Cup Finals it yet to be finalised.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PARRAMATTA TOYOTA CUP TEAM FOR FINALS WEEK 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]V PANTHERS
BOOKVALE OVAL
SAT 13 SEPTEMBER 2008
615PM

TOYOTA CUP

1 Nathan GARDNER

2 Mase Laulu TOGAGAE
3 Albert KELLY
4 Taniela LASALO
5 Domenic NASSO

6 Daniel MORTIMER
7 Trent HODKINSON

8 Tim ROBINSON
9 Anthony MITCHELL
10 Tim MANNAH [C]
11 Jay HEMING
12 David BAUMANN
13 Martin LEWIS

14 Luke MOTTINELLI
15 Jonathon MANNAH
16 Joel LATHAM
17 Joseph MATAELE
18 Mitchell ALLGOOD
19 Kristopher KEATING
20 Tony WILLIAMS
21 Kene TE WHATA

COACH: MATT CAMERON[/FONT]

http://parraeels.com.au/news/news1891.shtml

Stagger eel

Staff member
yeah.but I'm a bit mythed at why Cammo didn't decided to throw TW and KK in the starting line up, it's painfully obvious that they're going to play.

The Colonel

Immortal
yeah.but I'm a bit mythed at why Cammo didn't decided to throw TW and KK in the starting line up, it's painfully obvious that they're going to play.

It is obvious however maybe he is trying to keep up the spirits of those who will make way by not "dropping" them now Williams and Keating have returned from first grade.