What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Holden Cup Team and junior reps thread, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Less hit ups off the play the ball; more room and freedom to rove in attack and defence.

I reckon there's barely a "lock" in the game according to your definition.

Most teams play a 'lock' as a "middle third" backrower. Job is to hit it up to spell the props if needs be (less hitups, because it's the props job, and they get subbed, ideally the lock won't need to be); and their job is to tackle the house down (hence fewer hitups).

Some blokes have huge motors, and can do both, which is why Hindy ended up 'middle third' for Parra. Gallen is the classic example of this type today.
Some blokes have exceptional footwork (ie Watmough), and so expose the opposition big men around the middle of the ruck.
Some teams don't have an 80 minute option, so go with a rotation in this position and they tend to just play like a 3rd prop on the paddock (ie Roosters)

magpie4ever

First Grade
I reckon there's barely a "lock" in the game according to your definition.

Most teams play a 'lock' as a "middle third" backrower. Job is to hit it up to spell the props if needs be (less hitups, because it's the props job, and they get subbed, ideally the lock won't need to be); and their job is to tackle the house down (hence fewer hitups).

Some blokes have huge motors, and can do both, which is why Hindy ended up 'middle third' for Parra. Gallen is the classic example of this type today.
Some blokes have exceptional footwork (ie Watmough), and so expose the opposition big men around the middle of the ruck.
Some teams don't have an 80 minute option, so go with a rotation in this position and they tend to just play like a 3rd prop on the paddock (ie Roosters)

Bugger me, some of you guys would argue with yourself.

This is how I see the standard modern positions in the game in a concise manner, but there are many variations.

Props - full field players, hit up off the play the ball, defend around the ruck.

No 9: full field player, dummy half, defend around the ruck.

Second Rowers - left and right side (normally plays in 1/3 or 1/2 the field) , defends with left and right centre.

Lock - full field player, plays loose in attack, defends where required.

Half and 5/8 - can be restricted to left or right side in both attack (but many coaches allow full field play); defence normally one right, one left.

Centres - as per second rowers.

Wingers - left and right

Fullback - the modern day rover in attack, defends as per traditional role.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Well Mr Craigy, you are wrong.

Chad played a great deal looser than he ever played with Parra (as a prop)

Oh well. I don't mind if I'm wrong?

It just seemed to me that the young bloke subbed on as a prop yesterday (in that particular game), and played as such (ie, hitting it up one off the ruck).

oldmancraigy

Coach
Bugger me, some of you guys would argue with yourself.

This is how I see the standard modern positions in the game in a concise manner, but there are many variations.

Props - full field players, hit up off the play the ball, defend around the ruck.

No 9: full field player, dummy half, defend around the ruck.

Second Rowers - left and right side (normally plays in 1/3 or 1/2 the field) , defends with left and right centre.

Lock - full field player, plays loose in attack, defends where required.

Half and 5/8 - can be restricted to left or right side in both attack (but many coaches allow full field play); defence normally one right, one left.

Centres - as per second rowers.

Wingers - left and right

Fullback - the modern day rover in attack, defends as per traditional role.

Full description of how you see the bench players being used please?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Full description of how you see the bench players being used please?

Shit mate, that is a hard one; really depends on the fitness and skill level of your starting 13. But for a generic bench.

2 - props for the front rower rotation
1- loose forward covering 2 row and/or lock
1 - back covering backline players plus No:9 etc

But, there are so many variations on this. A coach needs to know his team.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Shit mate, that is a hard one; really depends on the fitness and skill level of your starting 13. But for a generic bench.

2 - props for the front rower rotation
1- loose forward covering 2 row and/or lock
1 - back covering backline players plus No:9 etc

But, there are so many variations on this. A coach needs to know his team.

Well mate, you've hardly told us how you see the job of a coach on game day have you?

Come on then!!

magpie4ever

First Grade
Well mate, you've hardly told us how you see the job of a coach on game day have you?

Come on then!!

C'mon Mr Craigy, I can't give you any more secrets; pooman is watching.:lol:

Clue: half dozen stubbies and a shit load of Winny Blues and say, "go out there an enjoy useselves".;-)

Pazza

First Grade
Joey asked RS about Ualesi on the post match show on MMM. RS rates him and daid he'd be in the second tier squad/junior development squad next season.

The kid seems to be impressing some decent judges and his stats this year have looked amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.