What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels illegal player

AJR

Unless I am mistaken ...... and I could be .....

However, I think you'll find Aaron Wood, the player who kicked the final goal for Parramatta, (who had already won the match on the scoreboard) was one of four players running onto the field after the try was scored.

The Eels I think had used all of their interchanges, so either they used an extra interchange or an illegal player to contribute on the scoreboard and the very clear rulings surrounding this mean they should be denied the victory.

Something to toss around anyway ........

lockyno1

Post Whore
Um..no..Norths were given a 11-2 penalty count, a moron of a ref..and still could only score 15 points!

Glenn

First Grade
I doubt they could lose the game, as apart from the kick at goal no bearing on the game itself.

Technically if this is correct then yes they could.

But I don't think it would make too muhc batsh*t of difference to the players - they got to celebrate a victory secured with only 20 seconds to go, and all the emotion that goes along with it.

The piss poor ref tried his best to hand Norths their Clatyon's premiership, wouldn't surprise me if it did go to them anyway, if this extra sub was the case.

Even as a Parra fan, it wouldn't bother me too much - it would be a pretty hollow way to get "victory" for the North's players if this did occur, and probably a little embarassing for them too.

parra pete

Referee
I would be interested to hear how Joe Williams was qualified to play in the Grand Final for the Bears after he had 14 first grade plus one finals match in the NRL for the Rabbitohs.
What exactly is the QUALIFICATION RULE?

Hurriflatch

Referee
I've got no problem with Williams playing but if he fits under the qualification rules then Aaron Cannings surely does as well.

My biggest problem is Williams & Cannings were ruled on differently not that Williams played

Hurriflatch

Referee
that was different

other then the 5 games he played in first grade and maybe 2 games in premier league he played the rest of the year in Flegg

I think it was stil la bit dodgy that he could play but I can accept it, unlike Williams

Azkatro

First Grade
By my reckoning, the Premier League grand final today pitted a team with a total of 568 games of first grade experience against one with a mere 121 under the belt!

NGR

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Um..no..Norths were given a 11-2 penalty count, a moron of a ref..and still could only score 15 points!
theres a reason it was like that, and it isnt the ref to blame...

parra pete

Referee
NGR said:
theres a reason it was like that, and it isnt the ref to blame...

Yes, they are the Bears..Unfortunately a Club with a history of knowing how to lose when victory is in their grasp.
Can anyone explain how Williams was eligible after playing 15 of 26 games in NRL, including probably the last six or seven?? Don't get it myself..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hurriflatch said:
I've got no problem with Williams playing but if he fits under the qualification rules then Aaron Cannings surely does as well.

My biggest problem is Williams & Cannings were ruled on differently not that Williams played

the first win of our trifecta was 3 years ago and we won despite having about 5 players rulled out due to these stupid rules

mightybears

Bench
your explanation:
http://www.mightybears.com/viewtopic.php?t=2589&highlight=eligibility

thanks to Fintan O'Laighin from the mightybears forum

I'm told that there are two criteria used to determine eligibility for finals:

i) how many games played in each grade - if more games are played in a higher grade than a lower one, a player can't play in the lower grade; or
ii) how many of a player's last nine games are played in each grade. (Note that this relates to a player's last nine games, not the last nine rounds).

I sent an e-mail to the NSWRL a couple of weeks ago to ask about eligibility, but didn't get a response. Nothing like being responsive to the fans.

South Sydney used 31 players in NRL this year. I have divided them into categories based on the above criteria.

Eligible - Played More Premier League than NRL (x9 players)
Beau Champion 19+1 NRL
Yileen Gordon 9+7 NRL
Michael Greenfield 5+4 NRL (Also played PL for Cronulla)
Daniel Irvine 11+11 NRL
Shannon McPherson 13+NRL 3
Eddie Paea 13+3 NRL (also listed 5 games for SS Jersey Flegg)
Eddy Pettybourne 15+1 NRL (also listed 5 games for SS Jersey Flegg)
Reece Simmonds 11+7 NRL

Eligible - Played More NRL than Premier League, but played more PL in last nine games (x3)
Scott Geddes 10+11 NRL (last nine: 7+2 NRL)
David Peachey 6+14 NRL (last nine: 6+3 NRL)
Joe Williams 9+14 NRL (last nine: 5+4 NRL)

Not Eligible - Played More NRL than Premier League, and played more NRL in last nine games (x8)
Shannon Hegarty 4+17 NRL (last nine: 3+7 NRL)
Jaiman Lowe 6+10 NRL (last nine: 3+6 NRL)
Issac Luke 9+13 NRL (last nine: 1+9 NRL)
Manase Manuokafoa 5+14 NRL (last nine: 1+9 NRL)
Paul Mellor 1+18 NRL (last nine: 0+9 NRL)
Ben Rogers 9+14 NRL (last nine: 0+9 NRL)
Jeremy Smith 2+21 NRL (last nine: 2+7 NRL
Stuart Webb 4+9 NRL (last nine: 1+9 NRL)

Not Eligible - Did not play for North Sydney (x10)
Roy Asotasi
Peter Cusack
David Fa'alogo
David Kidwell (only played 4 NRL which I'm told is below the 5-game threshold)
Nathan Merritt
Shane Rigon
Luke Stuart
John Sutton
Nigel Vagana
Dean Widders

The Engineers Room

First Grade
All that matters is the Eels won and completed the triple. I still can't understand the commentary. I think Norths were the favourites slightly but NRL experience is not that much of a factor. The issue is that Norths had a bunch of guys that aren't good enough to keep their position in grade and Parramatta had some guys that haven't gotten an opportunity yet.

Latest posts