1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Eels in the media

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Joshuatheeel, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Joshuatheeel

Joshuatheeel Moderator Staff Member

WTF Sam wanted a 4 year 3.3m deal for gutho?

Anyhow (if true) $1.9m for 3 years is a fairly decent offer for Gutho

2. I'm a loser baby...

I'm a loser baby... Referee

And why the supposed insistence on a four-year deal? Are they also worried about his injury history?

3. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

More time before the slimeball has to do any work negotiating a contract

4. IFR33K

IFR33K Coach

So if it’s 4 years and there’s a spike in the cap, is that factored into the deal. 4 year deals seem rare.

5. I'm a loser baby...

We've heard about that with other players' contracts so I don't see why not.

6. Obscene Assassin

Obscene Assassin First Grade

Gutho has been on the open market since the 1st of November last year, as if his manager wasn't sourcing offers from the moment he was off-contract.

IFR33K and Gronk like this.
  7. emjaycee

emjaycee First Grade

Kinda what I said yesterday then.

8. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Gus said the other day that clubs get lists of off contract players from player managers all the time. So Sam Ayoub would have been shopping his crew about since 12.01am 1 November, 2018.

9. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

Or before it

Gazzamatta likes this.
  10. Eelogical

Eelogical Coach

2.1 million over three years sounds fair to me.

Happy MEel likes this.
  11. I'm a loser baby...

Just give him whatever he wants, I can't deal with the stress!!

Kornstar and Poupou Escobar like this.
  12. Avenger

Avenger Referee

Now that’s a good article. Gutherson will sign after we give him another year at our rate. I’m ok with giving him 4 years. Maybe in his favour if he wishes too look elsewhere after year 3.

Gronk likes this.
  13. Gronk

Kornstar and IFR33K like this.
  14. Joshuatheeel

“A few years ago, as the Parramatta team bus made its way through heavy traffic towards Brookvale Oval for a match against Manly, Denis Anderson stood in the aisle and delivered a pre-match sermon.

For someone who had been involved with his beloved Eels in some capacity for more than 40 years, who was essentially “married to the club”, it was never difficult for “Big D” to find the right words to express how important victory was.

[​IMG]
    NRL 2019
    Bankwest boosted by $1 million Australia-first underground technology
    The sign above the door will say this: “The Denis Anderson Rooms … Parra’s in the tunnel!”

Anderson, the long-time doorman for Eels home games, would bellow the call-to-arms as Eels players made their way out of the sheds.

Sadly, he won’t be outside the door for the historic match against West Tigers. Anderson, who is 71, having been born in the club’s first season in 1947, is gravely ill because of cancer.

Advertisement
    He made it out of hospital for the night just over a week ago when past and present players and coaches joined his family to celebrate his life. That’s the night he was told the Eels were going to name their home dressing-room in his honour. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

“Former players like Sterling and Price have grandstands named after them,” said Arthur, who has known Anderson since he was a young player at the club. “But people like Denis are just as important. They say no individual is bigger than the club. He’s the exception.”

They say no individual is bigger than the club. He’s the exception.

Brad Arthur
    Like all of his jobs at the Eels, he took his role on the dressing-room door seriously. He didn't need to look at accreditation passes. He knew who was allowed in and who wasn't by sight. He once denied ARL Commission chairman John Grant access because he didn't recognise his head.

Officially, Anderson’s job title at the Eels was “football operations assistant” but he did so much more.

Advertisement
    [​IMG]
    Club favourite: Denis Anderson was given life membership of the Eels in 2017.CREDIT:pARRAMATTA EELS

Long before he became involved with the senior side, his passion was Parramatta’s junior rep teams.

Mannah was 14 when he first met Anderson and recalls when he was playing Harrold Matthews how the players would come into the dressing room after games to find a smorgasbord waiting for them.

“We were the envy of every club,” Mannah says. “He made us feel like superstars.”

A famous story about Anderson is how a former Eels head coach once told him he had to choose between helping the juniors and the NRL team.

Advertisement
    “Easy,” Anderson said. “I’ll look after the juniors. They’re the future. There isn’t an NRL side without them.”

That's why on Friday, despite his illness, an ecstatic Anderson texted Arthur upon hearing the Eels’ SG Ball side had beaten the Bulldogs with a late field goal.

Fittingly, the Eels have also struck a medal in his honour to recognise the juniors' club person of the year.

Anderson’s other great responsibility has been cooking the traditional barbecue after the captain’s run.

[​IMG]
    Proud: Tim Mannah outside the dressing-rooms at Bankwest Stadium.CREDIT:BENJAMIN CUEVAS

Advertisement
    “He tells a story how it took him 20 years of apprenticeship to get onto the barbecue committee,” Mannah chuckles again. “He was only allowed to cut the onions first, and then prepare some of the food. It took him years to start cooking it.”

People at Parramatta were unaware how sick Anderson was until recently. It’s not his style to let other people worry about him.

His good mates say he'll be doing everything he can to be there on Monday.

The last word belongs to Big D himself, who offered this comment via the club from his sick bed.

“The Eels are the blood that runs through my veins,” he said. “They are my heart and soul.”

Advertisement
    People at Parramatta says it's certainly the other way around.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...s-new-home-dressing-room-20190421-p51fws.html

15. Gronk

16. I bleed blue & gold

I bleed blue & gold First Grade

Big D is an absolute legend. A Parra man through and through.

Eelementary likes this.
  17. eel01s

eel01s Bench

Great story for the "other" DA and happy birthday Reed!

18. Gronk

19. I'm a loser baby...

20. Joshuatheeel

Good article. Like this quote:

‘offence will get you in a team, defence will keep you there’.