What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

T-Boon

Coach
Is defensive edge a position now? I like the terminology. I dont think it is a Rugby Union term.
Creating our own terminology is a sign that a sport is maturing.
Pig
Edge forward
Defensive edge
Anything else?

T-Boon

Coach
In the media today I saw we (football club) made a loss last year of $4mill.
Where did we get $4mill from to lose?
Did we borrow it from bank?
Did owners inject it?

T-Boon

Coach
So really we don’t lose money, it just makes good headlines.....

The leagues club is doing exactly what it was set up for.

Exactly, so our efforts to raise another $4mill gets the football club exactly nowhere. But the pokie haven gets to save $4mill and spend it on god knows what. AFL juniors??

emjaycee

Coach
Exactly, so our efforts to raise another $4mill gets the football club exactly nowhere. But the pokie haven gets to save $4mill and spend it on god knows what. AFL juniors??
As a subsidiary organisation, the PLC would be hoping that the football club can break-even or potentially make a profit, however yes - it is not critical to our survival as the pokie haven is there to cover losses.
What would the pokie haven do with the extra $4m - probably use it to help improve the facilities of the pokie haven such as build a hotel on the premises with less borrowing needed.

strider

Post Whore
I remember a few years ago that they reported in the paper Souths made a profit!!!

... after rusty and james wrote off the $6m debt souths owed em

As a subsidiary organisation, the PLC would be hoping that the football club can break-even or potentially make a profit, however yes - it is not critical to our survival as the pokie haven is there to cover losses.
What would the pokie haven do with the extra $4m - probably use it to help improve the facilities of the pokie haven such as build a hotel on the premises with less borrowing needed.

And looking at the Annual Report. . . .

https://www.parraleagues.com.au/content/uploads/2019/01/PARRALEAGUES_Annual-Report-2018_WEB.pdf

We still made 2M profit.
Also the stats on Page 22 make for interesting Reading.

Sale of goods
Bar sales $ 1,799,322
Catering sales $ 2,918,282
Merchandise sales $ 693,671
Total sale of goods $ 5,411,275
Services
Poker machine $45,627,264
NRL distribution $12,426,650 (Up From 6,916,667)
Sponsorship and hospitality $ 5,962,714
Commissions received $ 445,343
Members subscription $ 155,025
Gate ticket sales $ 2,762,078
TenPin sales $ 276,995
Total services $67,656,069

Sarcasm On :But remember boys and girls you going to the club and buying a drink and having a meal is doing enough to make money for the club: Sarcasm off.

We lost 10 million last year, 4 million this year and the club got $5m or so increase in NRL grant. The rest is fiddling around the edges.

The SMH article is here.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ee...-ambition-at-new-stadium-20190415-p51eeg.html

Also the League Club report came out in . . . .January so Sarcasm On yeah this is breaking news Sarcasm Off

In the fair dinkum department the club has lost money every single year except for 1986 when to my understanding we made $555,333 profit and Fitzy came out and said we wouldn't need the leagues club ever again.

We do have a $22m loan from the NAB for the car park we built. Might be good to pay that off.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Is defensive edge a position now? I like the terminology. I dont think it is a Rugby Union term.
Creating our own terminology is a sign that a sport is maturing.
Pig
Edge forward
Defensive edge
Anything else?
Defensive edge refers to the defensive ability of a player at second roe.

T-Boon

Coach
If the Football club ever gets to be "break even" (eg: no $ from the Leagues club), what is the good of the Leagues club from then on to the Football club?
The Leagues club would be getting a lot for free.
If I was the Football club I would charge the Leagues club $5mill a year for everything they get from us especially on game day. Otherwise the Football club could try to build its own club house on Kings oval or somewhere closer to the future tram line. Could the NRL take the licence off the Eels Leagues club and gift it to the Eels Football club then open up down the road.

Last edited:

Latest posts