What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/35581025f178634f089487cb08418645

Parramatta flyer Blake Ferguson has turned to a calorie-laden diet of thickshakes and chicken burgers as the Eels speedster attempts to nudge back near his pre-season playing weight of 107kgs.
The NSW Origin flyer is hopeful of making a return in round 24 against the Broncos after missing the last six weeks due to a knee infection which landed him in hospital.

The Eels have cranked up Ferguson’s training load and calorie intake over the past fortnight as they condition the Blues speedster for a return to the NRL leading into the finals.

“Everything’s been ramped-up at training. It’s been like a mini pre-season to try and fast-track my fitness,” Ferguson said.

“I lost a fair bit of weight when I was in hospital so we’ve just been focused on putting it back on in a smart way.

“I normally eat pretty healthy but the club has told me I can go for it in terms of calories.

“I’ve been getting into the Donut King thickshakes. And the Oporto burgers as well. Luckily it’s easy for me to put weight back on.

“I’m trying to eat six meals per day. When it comes to dinner time, I eat two dinners every night.

“I wanted to play this week against the Bulldogs but the doctor ruled me out.

“I’m pretty keen to get back out there and start playing again.”

Eels head of athletic performance Lachlan Wilmot confirmed the Ferguson project was a unique case.

“Fergo weighs in and weighs out of every training session,” Wilmot said.

“From a diet standpoint Blake’s been told he can consume as many calories as he can.

“Not too many footballers get a licence to smash KFC and thickshakes.

“But in his case it’s important and he’s also balancing it with plenty of calorie-packed smoothies and healthy meals.”

When Ferguson switched from the Eels to the Roosters, he bulked-up from 103kgs to 107kgs.

The Eels are aiming to get his playing weight back to around 103kgs.

Parramatta is also hoping to keep their top four aspirations in shape when they host arch rivals Canterbury-Bankstown at Bankwest Stadium on Thursday.

Why is it that whenever we get a story about a footy player trying to put weight back on after an illness it always seems to be about smashing junk food?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
only Foxsports could come up with an article on a player eating KFC

slow news day

Delboy

First Grade
“Right now supporters of both western Sydney clubs would agree Canterbury landed the better Panther.”

Not this supporter!!
DWZ wanted to play fullback, no way for us is he better than Gutho. Waqa is a strike centre, that was a need and has been filled. Can’t think there are any Eels fans that believe we got the worse deal, outrage and headlines is basis for all comments.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
DWZ wanted to play fullback, no way for us is he better than Gutho. Waqa is a strike centre, that was a need and has been filled. Can’t think there are any Eels fans that believe we got the worse deal, outrage and headlines is basis for all comments.
I think DWZ is as good as Gutherson at fullback, but a different type of player. Blake is a better centre than either of them.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The only plus with signing DWZ over Blake is we would have very good cover for fullback (and potentially the halves), giving some flexibility in the squad.

However we needed a centre and Blake is definitely the better option there.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Andrew Johns says Sivo has scored some special long range tries.
"First, Fijian winger Maika Sivo, who’s as raw as a sushi train but what a find he’s been. He’s scored 16 tries and some of them have been long-range specials"
Has he? Someone remind me.

I think he may have got one against the dragons and against the warriors I think (the one where he palmed a few players) he had a fairly long range run which lead to a try.

But yeah there hasn’t been many.

84 Baby

Referee
Andrew Johns says Sivo has scored some special long range tries.
"First, Fijian winger Maika Sivo, who’s as raw as a sushi train but what a find he’s been. He’s scored 16 tries and some of them have been long-range specials"
Has he? Someone remind me.
“I don’t remember any” - Blake Ayshford