What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Noise

Coach
So on Prior, if he is just a straight swap with Mannah, surely we are winning. Mannah is probably on say 500 under the cap (overs maybe, but that's not my point). Mannah is now useless to our 1st grade team, for reasons best known to those involved. Prior comes for 300-350 and is easily within our top 6 middles. What's the problem?
Mannah is not on 500k.

84 Baby

Referee
So on Prior, if he is just a straight swap with Mannah, surely we are winning. Mannah is probably on say 500 under the cap (overs maybe, but that's not my point). Mannah is now useless to our 1st grade team, for reasons best known to those involved. Prior comes for 300-350 and is easily within our top 6 middles. What's the problem?
At worst, he contributes to the development of Stef, Oregan and the other 2 massive units in Flegg.
So your theoretically swapping a 500k player for a 300k one. What if you want to swap him for an above 500k player?

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
So your theoretically swapping a 500k player for a 300k one. What if you want to swap him for an above 500k player?
I just reckon that with Mannah and Tepai going, saving money on a smaller contract for Jennings and having Taka in the squad which effectively means we can spend money on an extra forward, we are in a win win situation. I can't see any reason why we would be offering Prior anything other than a reasonable contract. We don't need to.

84 Baby

Referee
I just reckon that with Mannah and Tepai going, saving money on a smaller contract for Jennings and having Taka in the squad which effectively means we can spend money on an extra forward, we are in a win win situation. I can't see any reason why we would be offering Prior anything other than a reasonable contract. We don't need to.
There’s lots of moving parts but that works both ways.
No it’s he’s theoretically swapping

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Obviously you don’t want expensive players playing NSW cup, but in my opinion, especially with being a development club, having a couple of quality players on more then the minimum in NSW cup isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

It gives some experience/guidance to the younger players. Additionally you should be able to off set these players by having a bunch of junior players on unders in your squad.

Obviously it’s a fine balancing act and the cap needs to be managed so it doesn’t cause you to lose someone you want to keep.

Adding to that Will be interesting to see what the rules are for contracts in having our NSW cup side next year. If the minimum NRL contract is $110k or so, is there a limit on how many players we can have on $100k in our NSW cup squad (obviously they be restricted in play NRL).
I've wondered how the reserve grade salaries are capped, and there's no Phil Gould on Twitter to clear it up.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The point is that with all the forwards leaving, many of them on top 17 money, we're not swapping one for one. It's more like three for three or whatever.

84 Baby

Referee
The point is that with all the forwards leaving, many of them on top 17 money, we're not swapping one for one. It's more like three for three or whatever.
My point is it isn’t all done in a single combined transaction. Each contract is negotiated separately. And business.com says we should attempt to settle the highest value adding (and likely higher costing) parts first. Lower value parts are easier to replace

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
My point is it isn’t all done in a single combined transaction. Each contract is negotiated separately. And business.com says we should attempt to settle the highest value adding (and likely higher costing) parts first. Lower value parts are easier to replace

But with the nrl player market that’s not always possible. It’s constantly changing with players become available then not available.

You have to negotiate with who is currently available or you could totally miss out. You can’t just wait around in hope.

Additionally I think BA and his brains trust have also shown ability to keep some cash free just in case. For example 2017, we signed Moses mid year and 2019, we signed Blake mid year. Not exactly cheap signings either. We also signed Jennings very late into the pre season. We also signed IDG mid year to.

On Prior, what other middle forwards similar to him are there out there?

I actually reckon looking at Prior is potentially part of the plan of us looking for that big name. He gives us decent cover in the middle (along with experience) meaning we no longer have to “rush” that signing and keep looking for the right forward.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
But with the nrl player market that’s not always possible. It’s constantly changing with players become available then not available.

You have to negotiate with who is currently available or you could totally miss out. You can’t just wait around in hope.

Additionally I think BA and his brains trust have also shown ability to keep some cash free just in case. For example 2017, we signed Moses mid year and 2019, we signed Blake mid year. Not exactly cheap signings either. We also signed Jennings very late into the pre season. We also signed IDG mid year to.

I actually reckon looking at Prior is potentially part of the plan of us looking for that big name. He gives us decent cover in the middle (along with experience) meaning we no longer have to “rush” that signing and keep looking for the right forward.
There would be a hundred things ticking along in background, but if you are willing to wait for the right forward, why rush to sign Prior? Admittedly the timing on available players is getting closer to who is available 2021 rather than next season, but going from being linked to higher level players (subjectively) down to Prior isn’t awe inspiring. It could also mean those players are off the market, one way or another

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure but we already have a maximum we're willing to go to for each recruiting target, and if we're intending to recruit more than one of them then those maximums are unlikely to be mutually dependent.

If we have a roster slot for a big money forward as well as a roster slot for a solid first grader we should be trying to fill them concurrently. Waiting for the most expensive one to get across the line could mean no other merkin is available when we need them to be. Telling Prior to wait until the Panthers and RCG have sorted their shit out might work best for us but the player will meanwhile be doing what's best for himself. He'll want to sign somewhere before the money runs out.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Sure but we already have a maximum we're willing to go to for each recruiting target, and if we're intending to recruit more than one of them then those maximums are unlikely to be mutually dependent.

If we have a roster slot for a big money forward as well as a roster slot for a solid first grader we should be trying to fill them concurrently. Waiting for the most expensive one to get across the line could mean no other merkin is available when we need them to be. Telling Prior to wait until the Panthers and RCG have sorted their shit out might work best for us but the player will meanwhile be doing what's best for himself. He'll want to sign somewhere before the money runs out.
That’s why I said “attempt” and it’d be inefficient to only do one negotiation at a time, but we need to work towards an ideal yet realistic overall target. If this risks missing some lower level targets that’s an acceptable risk.

I just hope we talk to Vaughan this time

parra pete

Referee

Is he a priority signing? Seems to me they have made Prior arrangements...He's consistent - at least..he was Prior to going to the Sharks.

Latest posts