What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

strider

Post Whore
and it may well be the case that we got shit hung on us over NOT replacing players previously and went, "well f**k you all, take this (the other extreme)" ... and thats cool - but we are still pushing it

strider

Post Whore
Why do we have to be stretching the rules just because we use the concussion bin the most?
Cos our players aren't f**king concussed all the time ffs

other teams do it too .... its fine to admit we might be at the fore-front of the rort

Gronk

Staff member
Talking about court cases. I know one merkin who would get the wobbles every game.

p-74-15.jpg

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I just think it's a harsh leap of logic to make. "Eels use it the most....therefore they're abusing it"
But that's not the leap of logic being made.

People are also weighing up whether they have seen instances of players being concussed, looking at the timing during the game that they occur and assessing past events such as the fines we received before arriving at the conclusion that we might be stretching it a little.

But then having reached that conclusion they are actually suggesting that it is fine given the safety issues and the fact that all successful teams take it to the limit wrt the rules.

All perfectly reasonable IMO.

Bazal

Post Whore
But that's not the leap of logic being made.

"Parramatta are expected to come under intense scrutiny over their use of concussion-related interchanges with damning data revealing they use the head bin more than any other club at certain times of the game.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan warned coaches at a meeting just before Christmas last year they would come down heavily on clubs exploiting the concussion laws to gain a free interchange."

Seems to me that's exactly the leap of logic being made in the article that started the discussion, mate.

84 Baby

Referee
Even if we have used it to our advantage, how many times do you reckon we have? And it's not necessarily a huge advantage - 20 min mark, quick Tim go make a tackle then get up a bit dodgily and leave a hole in our defensive line while the trainer talks to you, probably reminding what day of week it is, score, etc so you don't f**k it up and get ruled out for remainder of game

84 Baby

Referee
Plus then there's going to be that one time where you don't get the player off the field and he starts tripping over his feet or punching the goal posts or takes a bite out the ball. Reckon most fans barely notice free interchanges but they definitely notice wobbly leg guy

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
"Parramatta are expected to come under intense scrutiny over their use of concussion-related interchanges with damning data revealing they use the head bin more than any other club at certain times of the game.

NRL head of football Brian Canavan warned coaches at a meeting just before Christmas last year they would come down heavily on clubs exploiting the concussion laws to gain a free interchange."

Seems to me that's exactly the leap of logic being made in the article that started the discussion, mate.
Sorry mate, I thought in the context of you exchanging posts with Strider et al. that you were referring to them making leaps of logic.

strider

Post Whore
I'm not really swayed by the stats in that article .... it crossed my mind last year at a game that mannah seemed to go for alot of tests - but never actually seemed to be found in need of staying off the field - poor guy is gonna end up punch drunk with all these head shots

I'd actually be interested to know the conversion rate - ie how many times players fail the test compared to how many tests are done .... not that it would prove anything one way or the other

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it never caused Pricey any long term damage, he used to play unconscious

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe its due to the running style of the player. I reckon Tim would could for a large percentage of our HIAs and maybe the way he run into the defence plays a part in that. If you take him out of the equation as an outlier the stats are probably very similar to other clubs
Mannah does get low after initial contact, ready for the quick play-the-ball. I guess that could make him more susceptible to head knocks.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, no, Pricey is fine after all those knocks...he's not a raving lunatic or anything...

:p

well that was sorta my point but I think there was a certain amount of raving lunatic in him before all the head knocks as well

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Pricey has probably had more head knocks driving buses around the Gold Coast than he did in his league days...

Gazzamatta

Coach
. If its a problem for the NRL then make changes to manage it better.
. Max, Bernie and Co must be doing an exceptionable job if this is all the media wankers can come up with.
. I visit a dementia facility twice weekly. People have no idea. I say er on the side of caution EVERY time.

Latest posts