What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

strider

Post Whore
I don't have an issue playing in the USA, but it makes more sense to have a bye after the game.

If playing in the USA means that our team is disadvantaged the following round, then I'm out. Remember that if they play Sat night in California, we then fly home leaving LA Sunday and arrive in Sydney Tuesday morning.
They need to gomwith the first option where the game is the sunday before the rest of round 1

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So we're an attractive option to the NRL......................when it suits them

And despite his most recent headlines, former San Francisco 49ers experiment and Gold Coast Titans fullback Jarryd Hayne would also be used as a ‘face’ and marketing tool, to lure Americans, who have heard of Hayne, but little of rugby league.

if they are using him for promotion why not play the titans instead of bunnies?

Gronk

Staff member
Pritchard excited by NRL comeback
By Greg Prichard

FRANK Pritchard admits he thought it was over for him in the NRL after he left Canterbury to go to Super League at the end of 2015 and he congratulates Eels coach Brad Arthur for having the guts to give a 33-year-old forward a shot.

“It’s great to be back,” Pritchard says as he prepares to come off the bench for Parramatta against St George Illawarra at WIN Stadium on Sunday. He made his Eels debut with a 19-minute cameo in which he racked up 64 metres in the first-round win over Manly.

“When you sign with the Super League you think you’re finished in the NRL, there’s no way back. But for me I went over there and had some goals in mind with Hull FC and we achieved a big one, winning the Challenge Cup.

“So it was a pretty easy decision to come back if there was an opportunity and I’m grateful to Brad Arthur for giving me that chance.

“There were probably pros and cons about it for him, but for me it was a case of grab it with both hands and come back and play in the NRL with my little brother (Kaysa) and to represent this great club.”

Pritchard had 13 seasons with the Bulldogs before his single season in England.

“I’m trying to help the younger guys come through, that’s part of my job, but I’m also here to make my own contribution to the team,” he says.

“I might be 33, but it’s just a number. I still believe within myself that I’ve got a lot to give to the team and if I didn’t think so I would’ve just given it away. I love being around the younger boys, they push me as much as I push them. It’s just good to be back.”

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/best-tigers-side-since-2005/

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta ready to sue insurer QBE over Watmough

An angry Parramatta are preparing to take landmark legal action against the NRL’s insurer, QBE, over its denial of a career-ending payout to former star Anthony Watmough — a move that could open the floodgates to similar actions across the code.

Yesterday, Eels chairman Max Donnelly told The Australian that the club was now “virtually certain” to go to court against the insurance giant.

QBE denied the insurance payout to Watmough last year over the knee injury that ended his career 12 months into his four-year, $2 million-plus deal with Parramatta that was not due to expire until the end of 2018, claiming the injury was “pre-existing”.

“In the circumstances, we have determined that you are not eligible for the benefits claimed under this policy,” QBE said.

QBE was brought into the game in 2014 as the insurer of the top 25 footballers at each NRL club, ostensibly to protect players after Newcastle Knights star Alex McKinnon’s on-field accident that left him a quadriplegic. But its ruling against Watmough has left Donnelly seething.

“We’re paying tens of thousands of dollars per annum in insurance to cover just this sort of eventuality,” he said. “If they don’t pay out on this, why do we have insurance? It’s outrageous.”

Donnelly said the dispute had started “last August, when we got this letter (from QBE) saying it was a pre-existing injury”.

Parramatta had maintained Watmough suffered his career-ending injury in February last year, in a “friendly fire” pre-season training mishap with Eels teammate Beau Scott.

While QBE confirmed in a letter last year that the assessment that Watmough was “no longer able to play in the NRL competition”, it claimed the incapacity was the result of “an established medical degenerative condition”, particularly “osteoarthritis” in his left knee.

QBE’s ruling has massive implications for the NRL’s 16 clubs. It creates a ticking time-bomb for other players hit with career-ending injuries — with more believed to have lodged claims with QBE since Watmough — and potentially leaves clubs liable for millions of dollars in payouts that they thought were covered by the insurer.

The insurer claimed that for the purposes of any payout, a “career-ending injury” did not include “a pre-existing condition” or “any degenerative condition or wear and tear”.

The QBE ruling rejected that Watmough’s injury was down to a training accident.

“Prior to the accident you were experiencing ongoing symptoms and disability relating to your left knee,” the insurer stated. “For example, notes from the club physiotherapist ... show that before the accident you were receiving injections of Marcaine to your left knee prior to games.”

QBE listed four dates in January and February last year in which it claimed Watmough’s knee was “intermittently symptomatic”, citing notes by the club physiotherapist.

A QBE spokesperson has previously claimed that “the medical examiner’s report was clear — it wasn’t a new injury that forced (Watmough’s) retirement, rather the result of chronic and degenerative problems that have been well documented”.

Meanwhile, Parramatta is understood to have this week reached a confidential settlement with Watmough’s representatives over the remaining years on his contract, to be paid directly by the club in the absence of a payout from QBE.

It is believed the club will also share part of any funds it may recover from QBE with Watmough.

Donnelly said that the club would now be arming itself for battle with QBE.

“The process now is we will have to gather the medical evidence to contradict the determination,” he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...h/news-story/565cea96592fbde5dff24cf1fcf185b7

Gronk

Staff member
Just playing the devils advocate here; if you had car full of rust and you were involved in a bingle. Would you expect the insurance company to restore it to new ?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So we're an attractive option to the NRL......................when it suits them

I'd say that we are an attractive option to the NRL when we are a well run club playing an exciting brand of football as we are now.

When was the last time you could say that about us?

Incorrect

Coach
Just playing the devils advocate here; if you had car full of rust and you were involved in a bingle. Would you expect the insurance company to restore it to new ?
I would expect them to honour their end of the deal, whatever that may be, instead of trying to weasle their way out of paying up on some BS technicality which is their MO in what seems to be the overwhelming majority of cases