What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

84 Baby

Referee
At least the super brave Rorters will be able to include TJ Perenara in the bubble when they sign him this week, because he didn’t play NSW Cup last weekend

Gazzamatta

Coach
I'm not usually a fan of Gallen but he did his best to explain how Teddy dropped in the tackle. Fittler wouldn't listen and got quite confrontational. Reckons Marata drove his shoulder deliberately into Teddys (my SOO Captain, Fullback and best player in the game) head.
The guy has such an agenda against Our Eels. Maybe we are getting them a little afraid.

emjaycee

Coach
Fox Sports online has led a story on Drew Hutchison's contract discussions with this:
"Eels’ five-eighth Dylan Brown’s cheap shot has cost Drew Hutchison the next six weeks on the sidelines, but also potentially a new NRL contract."

Dictionary.com defines a cheap shot as:
1) a covert, unsportsmanlike, and illegal act of deliberate roughness, especially in football, often calculated to injure an opponent.
2) any mean or unsportsmanlike remark or action, especially one directed at a defenseless or vulnerable person.

Both of those definitions infer a level of intent.
There is no way Drown intended to injure Hutchison and I would love to see the club come out publicly and challenge these type of comments.

emjaycee

Coach
I'm not usually a fan of Gallen but he did his best to explain how Teddy dropped in the tackle. Fittler wouldn't listen and got quite confrontational. Reckons Marata drove his shoulder deliberately into Teddys (my SOO Captain, Fullback and best player in the game) head.
The guy has such an agenda against Our Eels. Maybe we are getting them a little afraid.
I loved it when Gallen kept asking Fittler about Teddy dropping suddenly and "how was a player supposed to react", Fittlers only response was that "we need to change the way players tackle Tedesco and Walker".

Right Freddy, so we have different tackling styles depending on who the opposition player is.
Imagine the ref: "10 minutes in the bin for a non-Tedesco approved tackle - off you go"

84 Baby

Referee
I loved it when Gallen kept asking Fittler about Teddy dropping suddenly and "how was a player supposed to react", Fittlers only response was that "we need to change the way players tackle Tedesco and Walker".

Right Freddy, so we have different tackling styles depending on who the opposition player is.
Imagine the ref: "10 minutes in the bin for a non-Tedesco approved tackle - off you go"
They need to install bright pink bars on the jerseys from nipple to snail trail and that’s the only area a tackler can contact

84 Baby

Referee
Actually f**k it. Make it unlimited “tackles” but the only allowable tackles are ball strips.

Actually on that, where’s the scrutiny on Munster’s “tackle” where he threw Cook? Just because he came away with ball doesn’t mean it wasn’t a dangerous throw, right?

crocodile

Bench

They're only footy players. Obviously not brain surgeons after their playing days are done.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Pretty sure from the footage it appears that Marata was ready to make the tackle, but in a “split second” saw Tedesco passing/falling. So he stopped and remained stationary but had to brace for the contact, which was twisting / raising the shoulder (a natural movement in such a situation). Additionally he was already leading in for the tackle so couldn’t pull out.

If he really was leading with the shoulder / not trying to pull out, Tedesco wouId have been leaving the ground in an ambulance.

just an unfortunate incident in the fast and aggressive game of rugby league. There was no malice

crocodile

Bench
Fox Sports online has led a story on Drew Hutchison's contract discussions with this:
"Eels’ five-eighth Dylan Brown’s cheap shot has cost Drew Hutchison the next six weeks on the sidelines, but also potentially a new NRL contract."

Dictionary.com defines a cheap shot as:
1) a covert, unsportsmanlike, and illegal act of deliberate roughness, especially in football, often calculated to injure an opponent.
2) any mean or unsportsmanlike remark or action, especially one directed at a defenseless or vulnerable person.

Both of those definitions infer a level of intent.
There is no way Drown intended to injure Hutchison and I would love to see the club come out publicly and challenge these type of comments.

People only need to watch the video from other angles to see what actually happened. No way was it intentional. Much easier to join the outrage than make your own judgement. Brown should litigate if any media outlet suggests intent to cause injury.

Cloeel

Juniors
People only need to watch the video from other angles to see what actually happened. No way was it intentional. Much easier to join the outrage than make your own judgement. Brown should litigate if any media outlet suggests intent to cause injury.

I agree.

The club should come out in support.

crocodile

Bench
Oh no he’s rebuked their offer. Those poor poor Rorters. Won’t anyone help them?
I don't know if it's true or not and the Chooks aren't my favourites. I still wouldn't have minded seeing how he went with the change. He's a good footballer with solid defence and a great kicking game. Not sure if he'd be used to the defensive work rate as a hooker but he'd have the attacking game with an extra few metres up his sleeve.