What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

T.S Quint

Coach
I think Brown would have grounds to sue for defamation. Those in the media have said he has deliberately gone in to injure a player when there is no clear way to gauge that in this instance. It looks like an accident to me and I’m sure most other people.

I don’t think he will sue for defamation, but I think he could.

yy_cheng

Coach
Pretty sure from the footage it appears that Marata was ready to make the tackle, but in a “split second” saw Tedesco passing/falling. So he stopped and remained stationary but had to brace for the contact, which was twisting / raising the shoulder (a natural movement in such a situation). Additionally he was already leading in for the tackle so couldn’t pull out.

If he really was leading with the shoulder / not trying to pull out, Tedesco wouId have been leaving the ground in an ambulance.

just an unfortunate incident in the fast and aggressive game of rugby league. There was no malice
It sux when you can't pull out in time... Then the awkward wait

T.S Quint

Coach
I think Brown here is a victim of the referees (mostly the bunker) not taking action when they should have.
It was a poor action and it needed to be penalised, probably sin bin. If that happens straight away I don’t think the big uproar continues as it has.

But because of the ref’s incompetence, Brown is made out to be some thug who tried to ‘get away’ with an illegal act, which is just not true.
I do think it was an accident (I mean who would do that on purpose ffs?) and it was almost unavoidable. However it happened and he needs to be suspended for it...which is what has happened. It’s time to let it go.

Niukore’s tackle is another matter. Worth a penalty, ok. I’ll take that. Worth a suspension? Maybe. Not so sure considering how Tedesco reacts to the tackle attempt. He drops down a split second before Niukore hits him. There is no way for Marata to pull out of it. Tedesco does this all the time, including in that one against the dragons where the bloke got sin binned and suspended. Those calling for Niukore to be binned or even sent off are ridiculous. It wasn’t that long ago where a tackle like that where the attacker drops at the last second would be argued at the judiciary and exonerated. I think the grading was too high. I know anytime a player gets hit in the head they need to take it seriously, but they have to look at all the circumstances.

I was more pissed off at Marata for even attempting the tackle. Teddy was covered and there was no need for Niukore to move up out of the line to smash him. He should have stayed on his man on the outside. Almost gave up a try because of that stupid defensive decision.

crocodile

Bench
I think Brown here is a victim of the referees (mostly the bunker) not taking action when they should have.
It was a poor action and it needed to be penalised, probably sin bin. If that happens straight away I don’t think the big uproar continues as it has.

But because of the ref’s incompetence, Brown is made out to be some thug who tried to ‘get away’ with an illegal act, which is just not true.
I do think it was an accident (I mean who would do that on purpose ffs?) and it was almost unavoidable. However it happened and he needs to be suspended for it...which is what has happened. It’s time to let it go.

Niukore’s tackle is another matter. Worth a penalty, ok. I’ll take that. Worth a suspension? Maybe. Not so sure considering how Tedesco reacts to the tackle attempt. He drops down a split second before Niukore hits him. There is no way for Marata to pull out of it. Tedesco does this all the time, including in that one against the dragons where the bloke got sin binned and suspended. Those calling for Niukore to be binned or even sent off are ridiculous. It wasn’t that long ago where a tackle like that where the attacker drops at the last second would be argued at the judiciary and exonerated. I think the grading was too high. I know anytime a player gets hit in the head they need to take it seriously, but they have to look at all the circumstances.

I was more pissed off at Marata for even attempting the tackle. Teddy was covered and there was no need for Niukore to move up out of the line to smash him. He should have stayed on his man on the outside. Almost gave up a try because of that stupid defensive decision.

I think he was trying to cover the offload. Doesn't matter now since he missed that too.