What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

TheRam

Coach
Interestingly on the Gus podcast 6 tackles, he is normally fairly bearish against the eels.

This week in a long time he was slightly bullish towards us....

He mentioned some metrics (not sure of it’s details) for the season and said the Eels are second on it in front of the Storm, with Panthers first ...

Yeah, he said if you score 5000+ points, it drills down into both offense and defense, you are basically going to win and we have been scoring 5000+ all year, I think he said more then any other team.

eels_fan

First Grade
Stat attack: Eels' opening nine rounds best in club history

The Eels are currently enjoying their best start to a season, statistically, in the club's three-quarters of a century in the premiership.

Their 8-1 record equals last year's best-ever start in terms of wins and losses through nine rounds but their points scored and differential are both the best in Eels history, according to NRL.com Stats.

Their 260 points scored in nine games at 28.9 per game and differential of +136 both beat anything in the club's history.

While the Panthers have rightly been getting plenty of focus for their historic and unprecedented start to 2021, which includes easily the best opening nine rounds defensively of any side in the NRL era and will be the subject of future NRL.com Stats pieces, it has overshadowed what has also been the best start in Eels history and underscores the current strong form of both western Sydney clubs.

The previous most points scored by a Parramatta side in the opening nine rounds was the unstoppable triple-premiership squad of the early 1980s that racked up 254 points in nine games. With 125 conceded and a +129 differential, that 1983 side – which won six and lost three of its opening nine games – held the previous record for best attack and differential of any Eels side through nine rounds.

The red-hot 2001 side that shattered point-scoring records does not figure prominently in these figures because of a slowish start that year before lighting up over the second half of the season.

That team carried its form into early 2002 with 246 points scored and a +127 differential, which are each third best in club history.

The Eels' current record also compares favourably across other seasons in the NRL era; it is the equal 10th best (level with this year's Panthers) while the Storm's prolific point-scoring this year has them third best of the NRL era through nine rounds with only the 2002 and 2006 Knights ahead of them.

Some notable contributors to the Eels' start have been skipper Clint Gutherson, whose 14 try involvements are equal first in the NRL along with Cody Walker and Brett Morris, and bench weapon Bryce Cartwright.

Cartwright's ratio of "quality" touches (tries, line breaks and assists per touch) of 0.15 is equal fifth best of any player in the NRL, including three tries and three try assists in his five games, while equal with him in fifth is winger Maika Sivo with nine tries and 11 line breaks.

If anything the numbers serve to highlight how rare it is for any Parramatta side to start well; even the premiership and grand final teams have tended to start slowly and finish strong rather than being dominant all year.

It also highlights just how potent Penrith have been through nine rounds; as we know defence wins premierships and Penrith's current miserly rate of just 6.7 points conceded per match has them head and shoulders above the rest. Melbourne's 12 and Parramatta's 13.8 are next best and still more than double that of Ivan Cleary's men.

Penrith's current +200 differential is also easily the best of any side through nine rounds in the NRL era (the most recent team to do better was the 1995 Sea Eagles who were +206 through nine rounds) while the 60 points conceded is also easily the best of the NRL era, beating the 2011 Dragons and 2013 Roosters who each conceded 86 through the first nine rounds.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/15/stat-attack-eels-opening-nine-rounds-best-in-club-history/

most-points_20210513.jpg

eels_fan

First Grade
Quite incredible that our attack is the 10th best of any club in the NRL era, and i dont even think we've really clicked into gear in attack in many games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If anything the numbers serve to highlight how rare it is for any Parramatta side to start well; even the premiership and grand final teams have tended to start slowly and finish strong rather than being dominant all year.
This should put to rest the idea that we're March/April/May premiers who die in the arse later in the season. We've only been starting seasons well very recently.

yy_cheng

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...-mum-to-let-her-boy-play-20210516-p57sdz.html

How Eels players convinced Jakob Arthur’s mum to let her boy play

781f7a16cafe800fcc64fb756b16fc18cd9baf9d

By Michael Chammas
May 17, 2021 — 5.00am

Leave a comment

Warriors 18 Eels 34
NRL 2021

‘A dream come true’: Coach’s son Jakob Arthur scores on Eels debut
Moses and Gutherson both phoned Jake, who was outside training in the home gym with fellow Eels squad members Sean Russell, Jordan Rankin and Joey Lussick because of the COVID restrictions that hampered Parramatta’s preparations.

“He came inside and he had this huge grin on his face,” Michelle recalled. “He said, ‘I’ve got to tell you something ... I’m playing’. You could see on his face he was so proud and so excited. It was so nice.”

Advertisement
Jake has been tagging along with his dad to pre-season training for years. In the summer school holidays of 2018, when it came to fitness, there was Gutherson leading the way and then there was the 15-year-old son of the coach showing up the rest of the team. He has been ever since.

For the past few years, Jakob has also been alongside his father in the coach’s box during games, collating statistics and passing on information to help with the game plan. But Sunday was different.

6722d38560c272078a01f4e686e46c23ce8d7c4d

Jakob Arthur in action against the Warriors on Sunday.CREDIT:GETTY

“Brad was quite calm for a lot of the week once he made his decision,” Michelle said. “But as it got closer, it got to him for a little bit there. He was just a bit cranky.

“[Sunday] morning he wouldn’t speak to me at all. There was no talking. He asked me to move tables at breakfast because I was talking too much. I’m a bit chatty anyway.”

Advertisement
Regardless, Michelle couldn’t hide her emotions in the lead-up.

“I just hugged Jake and told him I was proud of him,” Michelle said. “Before the game, I sent him a message and said, ‘We’re so proud of you, you’re amazing’. I just wanted him to know that even if it was a disaster, we were still proud.”

Arthur walked out of a rushed press conference on Sunday night trying to contain his emotions. One reporter asked: ‘Where were the tears, Brad?’. The coach replied: ‘Why do you think I was so quick to get out of there’. Enough said.

Fitzgibbon’s strategic vision
Future Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon is contemplating fronting the media this week for the first time since he was appointed on a three-year deal from 2022.

Advertisement
There’s been a lot of commentary around the way Cronulla’s football department is handling plans for next season, with Fitzgibbon considering addressing some of those concerns early this week.

bb8a7439c1dfebf12322ba0500891c32bf748bad

Adam Reynolds is on the move, knocking back an offer to join the Sharks to link with the Broncos in 2022.CREDIT:GETTY

While the Sharks would have loved to have signed Adam Reynolds, the club knew it would be almost impossible to compete with the Broncos given the third-party opportunities available to the halfback in a one-team town.

The suggestion that they botched the deal has infuriated some at the club, with Fitzgibbon to outline his vision of the future when he fronts the cameras this week.

Morris at large

Gronk

Staff member
The hype over a FG debut was a tad over the top for something that happens every weekend in the NRL ? upload_2021-5-17_6-58-22.gif

strider

Post Whore
“Brad was quite calm for a lot of the week once he made his decision,” Michelle said. “But as it got closer, it got to him for a little bit there. He was just a bit cranky.
thats what you want ... your wife in the national press telling everyone you are a cranky merkin

“[Sunday] morning he wouldn’t speak to me at all. There was no talking. He asked me to move tables at breakfast because I was talking too much. I’m a bit chatty anyway.”
Can we ask em to move tables? Why isn't this strategy communicated better?