What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
thats what you want ... your wife in the national press telling everyone you are a cranky merkin

Can we ask em to move tables? Why isn't this strategy communicated better?

Only the table ? So do they have no use of the chairs , Trent Barrett could do with a few chairs

TheRam

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...-mum-to-let-her-boy-play-20210516-p57sdz.html

How Eels players convinced Jakob Arthur’s mum to let her boy play

781f7a16cafe800fcc64fb756b16fc18cd9baf9d

By Michael Chammas
May 17, 2021 — 5.00am

Leave a comment

Warriors 18 Eels 34
NRL 2021

‘A dream come true’: Coach’s son Jakob Arthur scores on Eels debut
Moses and Gutherson both phoned Jake, who was outside training in the home gym with fellow Eels squad members Sean Russell, Jordan Rankin and Joey Lussick because of the COVID restrictions that hampered Parramatta’s preparations.

“He came inside and he had this huge grin on his face,” Michelle recalled. “He said, ‘I’ve got to tell you something ... I’m playing’. You could see on his face he was so proud and so excited. It was so nice.”

Advertisement
Jake has been tagging along with his dad to pre-season training for years. In the summer school holidays of 2018, when it came to fitness, there was Gutherson leading the way and then there was the 15-year-old son of the coach showing up the rest of the team. He has been ever since.

For the past few years, Jakob has also been alongside his father in the coach’s box during games, collating statistics and passing on information to help with the game plan. But Sunday was different.

6722d38560c272078a01f4e686e46c23ce8d7c4d

Jakob Arthur in action against the Warriors on Sunday.CREDIT:GETTY

“Brad was quite calm for a lot of the week once he made his decision,” Michelle said. “But as it got closer, it got to him for a little bit there. He was just a bit cranky.

“[Sunday] morning he wouldn’t speak to me at all. There was no talking. He asked me to move tables at breakfast because I was talking too much. I’m a bit chatty anyway.”

Advertisement
Regardless, Michelle couldn’t hide her emotions in the lead-up.

“I just hugged Jake and told him I was proud of him,” Michelle said. “Before the game, I sent him a message and said, ‘We’re so proud of you, you’re amazing’. I just wanted him to know that even if it was a disaster, we were still proud.”

Arthur walked out of a rushed press conference on Sunday night trying to contain his emotions. One reporter asked: ‘Where were the tears, Brad?’. The coach replied: ‘Why do you think I was so quick to get out of there’. Enough said.

Fitzgibbon’s strategic vision
Future Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon is contemplating fronting the media this week for the first time since he was appointed on a three-year deal from 2022.

Advertisement
There’s been a lot of commentary around the way Cronulla’s football department is handling plans for next season, with Fitzgibbon considering addressing some of those concerns early this week.

bb8a7439c1dfebf12322ba0500891c32bf748bad

Adam Reynolds is on the move, knocking back an offer to join the Sharks to link with the Broncos in 2022.CREDIT:GETTY

While the Sharks would have loved to have signed Adam Reynolds, the club knew it would be almost impossible to compete with the Broncos given the third-party opportunities available to the halfback in a one-team town.

The suggestion that they botched the deal has infuriated some at the club, with Fitzgibbon to outline his vision of the future when he fronts the cameras this week.

Morris at large

Lovely. Just lovely.

lucablight

First Grade
Former Parramatta captain Tim Mannah thinks Eels coach Brad Arthur could better his side's balance by moving star players into new roles.

While the Eels sit second on the NRL table after nine rounds, many are questioning their premiership credentials after they fell out of the finals in straight sets last year.

SEN host Joel Caine said on Saturday that he hoped for Clint Gutherson to move into the halves and Mannah holds a similar view.

“If I had my coaches hat on, it would be interesting to see some positional changes,” Mannah said on SEN 1170 Afternoons.

“My personal preference would be to put Dylan (Brown) at seven, ‘Gutho’ (Clint Gutherson) at six and Mitchell (Moses) at one.

“I reckon that’s probably the best balance for the side.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05...he-switches-hed-like-see-brad-arthur-to-make/
Article is 6 days old but I thought I’d post it with the discussions surrounding how to best use Dylan Brown in the team. I don’t agree with Mannah’s view personally but interesting take.

eels_fan

First Grade
sounds a horrendous idea given neither Brown or Gutho have great kicking games, and your fullback is generally one of the lead attacking targets for kicks. Sounds a whole lot like Moses kicking for himself, and then being too stuffed for the defensive workload. Gutho isnt a fantastic 1 because of his speed or skills, its his effort areas and fitness - something he beats Moses for in leaps and bounds.

King-Gutho94

Coach
sounds a horrendous idea given neither Brown or Gutho have great kicking games, and your fullback is generally one of the lead attacking targets for kicks. Sounds a whole lot like Moses kicking for himself, and then being too stuffed for the defensive workload. Gutho isnt a fantastic 1 because of his speed or skills, its his effort areas and fitness - something he beats Moses for in leaps and bounds.

Yeab guthos strength is he probing the opposition in and around the ruck or from around the back all day.

Plus his support play is outstanding.

He did find some extra speed yesterday chasing down reece Walsh in an canter. I wasn't expecting that walsh gave him a 5m headstart

yy_cheng

Coach
Yeab guthos strength is he probing the opposition in and around the ruck or from around the back all day.

Plus his support play is outstanding.

He did find some extra speed yesterday chasing down reece Walsh in an canter. I wasn't expecting that walsh gave him a 5m headstart
You could see the effort gutho put in and it was amazing

If waqa had that effort.

Everytime i see waqa miss a tackle, he's sitting there looking at what will happen.

Waqa should get up and chase

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe Gutho has been pretending to be slow all these years just so when it matters on GF Day he can make Staines and To’o look like George Rose. He slipped up yesterday and forgot to stay in 3rd gear.

5 year bluff is a solid effort!
He's fast enough over 40-100m, just not over the 10-20m required to truly threaten defensive lines. But he's always there and always pushing hard. That gives him a lot of opportunities to find a defender standing flat footed.