What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ok so MJ outplayed many while he was juiced up?
Yep, outplayed by Jennings who wasn't considered good enough for Origin. Manu only became better than average last year, no doubt overshadowed by Mitchell before that. It's not until this year he's even been close to elite. There's talk about him becoming the next million dollar player, so clearly he wasn't one in previous years. His stats prove that.

Like I said, I didn't rate him before. He was no better than solid, though obviously had plenty of improvement in him, like most young players. Now he's improved (like Reed Mahoney) and I rate him highly. If he's always been this good why would I lie?

IFR33K

Coach
Yep, outplayed by Jennings who wasn't considered good enough for Origin. Manu only became better than average last year, no doubt overshadowed by Mitchell before that. It's not until this year he's even been close to elite. There's talk about him becoming the next million dollar player, so clearly he wasn't one in previous years. His stats prove that.

Like I said, I didn't rate him before. He was no better than solid, though obviously had plenty of improvement in him, like most young players. Now he's improved (like Reed Mahoney) and I rate him highly. If he's always been this good why would I lie?

No ones said you’re lying. Maybe you should consider you’re just not as good as you think. Many here have said in the past manu is an excellent centre. Ask yourself why it took you so long to concede he is.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No ones said you’re lying. Maybe you should consider you’re just not as good as you think. Many here have said in the past manu is an excellent centre. Ask yourself why it took you so long to concede he is.
Because I look for consistency when I rate players and Manu's big games were few and far between. Maybe the rest of you were rating him on potential.

Gotta give it to him. No idea where he finds the energy to keep regurgitating this shit.

its truly amazing. His ability to reply with needless off topic comments is unique. A mix of useless stats, made up football ideology and good old fashioned shit talk makes him unique. Even rats don’t survive this long.

“Jake Arthur is the perfect back up half” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Johnny88

Juniors

Blog with Hoops: Sorry, Parra, the stats do matter. And they make for awful reading​

Out of 18 NRL matches against premiers Melbourne Storm, grand finalists Penrith, Sydney Roosters and South Sydney over the past three seasons the Eels have won only six games for a 33.3 per cent win percentage.

Equally as concerning is the club’s record in their last three September campaigns in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

PARRA’S BIG FOUR FAILURES

2019: v Panthers (Rd 1) won 20-12, v Roosters (Rd 3) – lost 32-18, v Storm (Rd 9) – lost 64-0, v Panthers (Rd 11) – lost 16-10, v Rabbitohs (Rd 12) – won 26-14, v Storm (finals) – lost 32-0.

2020: v Panthers (Rd 5) won 16-10, v Roosters (Rd 6) – lost 28-0, v Storm (Rd 15) – won 14-0, v Rabbitohs (Rd 16) – lost 38-0, v Panthers (Rd 18) – lost 20-2, v Storm (finals) – lost 36-24, v Rabbitohs (finals) – lost 38-24

2021: v Storm (Rd 2) – won 16-12, v Roosters (Rd 9) – won 31-18, v Rabbitohs (Rd 12) – lost 38-20, v Panthers (Rd 16) – lost 13-12, v Roosters (Rd 20) – lost 28-0

Parramatta have won just one from six finals matches under coach Brad Arthur – the sole victory being the 58-0 flogging of the Brisbane Broncos in 2019.

Otherwise it’s been straight sets finals exits despite finishing in the top four at the conclusion of the regular season in 2017 and 2020.

In nine of their 12 losses against the NRL’s best sides, the Eels have been beaten by 13 points or more.

The challenge for Parramatta is dealing with the outside noise suggesting history says the look like premiership contenders every May yet then fade away at the business end of the season.

Blog with Hoops: Sorry, Parra, the stats do matter. And they make for awful reading​

Out of 18 NRL matches against premiers Melbourne Storm, grand finalists Penrith, Sydney Roosters and South Sydney over the past three seasons the Eels have won only six games for a 33.3 per cent win percentage.

Equally as concerning is the club’s record in their last three September campaigns in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

PARRA’S BIG FOUR FAILURES

2019: v Panthers (Rd 1) won 20-12, v Roosters (Rd 3) – lost 32-18, v Storm (Rd 9) – lost 64-0, v Panthers (Rd 11) – lost 16-10, v Rabbitohs (Rd 12) – won 26-14, v Storm (finals) – lost 32-0.

2020: v Panthers (Rd 5) won 16-10, v Roosters (Rd 6) – lost 28-0, v Storm (Rd 15) – won 14-0, v Rabbitohs (Rd 16) – lost 38-0, v Panthers (Rd 18) – lost 20-2, v Storm (finals) – lost 36-24, v Rabbitohs (finals) – lost 38-24

2021: v Storm (Rd 2) – won 16-12, v Roosters (Rd 9) – won 31-18, v Rabbitohs (Rd 12) – lost 38-20, v Panthers (Rd 16) – lost 13-12, v Roosters (Rd 20) – lost 28-0

Parramatta have won just one from six finals matches under coach Brad Arthur – the sole victory being the 58-0 flogging of the Brisbane Broncos in 2019.

Otherwise it’s been straight sets finals exits despite finishing in the top four at the conclusion of the regular season in 2017 and 2020.

In nine of their 12 losses against the NRL’s best sides, the Eels have been beaten by 13 points or more.

The challenge for Parramatta is dealing with the outside noise suggesting history says the look like premiership contenders every May yet then fade away at the business end of the season.

mad much as I don’t like Hooper. Those stats don’t lie. Arthur is a choker he’s got to go.

Gazzamatta

Coach
gee what an in depth study from Hoops, Eels are a very easy target right now for some journos but what he is writing is what we've been saying for years

he's just catching up
Not all of us Twiz. Theres one or two notable exceptions. Maybe even 3 or 4 or 5. Could even be 6ish.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The only reason merkins are restless is because these journos talk us up after we flog a few nuffy teams. The best premiership odds for Parra this year were $9. Premiership outsiders.

lucablight

First Grade
The only reason merkins are restless is because these journos talk us up after we flog a few nuffy teams. The best premiership odds for Parra this year were $9. Premiership outsiders.
We were one of two teams to beat Penrith last season and beat the Storm this season. How is that only beating up nuffy teams?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We were one of two teams to beat Penrith last season and beat the Storm this season. How is that only beating up nuffy teams?
Narrow wins don't say much because luck plays a much bigger role in those games. Last year in games decided by 6 points or less we won 9 from 11. This year we are 1 from 3.

The best teams are the ones who regularly win by big scores.

lucablight

First Grade
Narrow wins don't say much because luck plays a much bigger role in those games. Last year in games decided by 6 points or less we won 9 from 11. This year we are 1 from 3.

The best teams are the ones who regularly win by big scores.
That just demonstrates that we have the talent to compete with the top teams and that we don’t always play as well as we should against the nuffy teams. That’s literally one of the main grievances people have with how the side is going.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That just demonstrates that we have the talent to compete with the top teams and that we don’t always play as well as we should against the nuffy teams.
But we have beaten the nuffies every time this year. The smallest win was in round one, by eight points. Our only losses are to teams currently running equal seventh or higher.
That’s literally one of the main grievances people have with how the side is going.
Their grievance is that we can't beat the top sides when it counts, and the reason for that is that they're better than us. I tipped us to finish 7th for this reason:

lucablight

First Grade
But we have beaten the nuffies every time this year. The smallest win was in round one, by eight points. Our only losses are to teams currently running equal seventh or higher.

Their grievance is that we can't beat the top sides when it counts, and the reason for that is that they're better than us. I tipped us to finish 7th for this reason:
Raiders and Dragons are nuffies and we lost to them. There is more than one grievance and the one you listed is another one.

lucablight

First Grade
They are challenging for the top 8, and both clubs had more Origin appearances than us. If they're nuffies so are we.
We were sub $1.20 favourites against both of those sides. That Raiders side was in shocking form and had a tonne of injuries. The only origin player they had was Papali’i and he was injured during the game so his impact was minimal. That Dragons team was widely tipped to struggle this season and after winning their first 5 games they have won 3 of their next 14 (including a loss to the lowly Bulldogs). I struggle to comprehend how you can say those teams have comparable rosters to ours. It’s also incredibly disingenuous of you to say that team A is better than team B by just comparing the number of origin players and pretending that the rest of the roster isn’t a factor. Using that line of thinking the Titans are just as good as the Storm because they had the same number of origin players. Wait what?

Latest posts